Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Downloaded said update this morning ps did it take ages to install for anyone else? (for such a small download).
    I'll report back see if there are any changes regarding battery performance

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Got no update here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Does anyone else find the fingerprint unlock useless?Doesnt seem to work half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Nope, the fingerprint scanner works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Fingerprint scanner works 99% of the time for me.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote:
    Does anyone else find the fingerprint unlock useless?Doesnt seem to work half the time.

My fingerprint or should I say thumb works perfectly very fast and smooth. Took me a day or two getting use to it but now it's just second nature unlocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Hi all.

I recently picked up an S6 and the battery life seems good the other week I got a notification for a firmware update, The phone is currently on 5.1.1 build LMY47X.

The thing is the last two Samsung I had (S3/S4) anytime I updated the firmware the battery life went downhill along with freezing issues,So has there being any issues with the new update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Does anyone know if there's a weather app built into the S6??

Shadow1983 wrote:
    Does anyone know if there's a weather app built into the S6??

I believe it does which can be seen when you click on the weather in the clock and weather widget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Where are people getting covers for the S6 Edge? Prefer to get one quickly instore instead of waiting online.

• Advertisement

retweet wrote: »
    Where are people getting covers for the S6 Edge? Prefer to get one quickly instore instead of waiting online.

Due to how good the edge looks i didnt want to "hide" it behind a cover so i went for the Spigen Liquid Crystal clear case. It was about £7 on amazon shows off the looks and adds a little bit of protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You can try any network store on Grafton, as well as the accessories shop at 32 Wicklow Street.

OSI wrote:
    Vodafone where doing a special on the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge starter packs that include a case and the wireless charger for 30. The wireless charger is incredibly **** though. I don't bother with it anymore because I can't trust it to not decide 2/3rds of the way through a charge that it actually doesn't like the way the phone is lined up and won't work any more.

What was the original price of that pack? Like 40/50??

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭JohnPPP

Want an s6 but rumour is the s7 is out in Jan right? Tempted to wait it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

JohnPPP wrote: »
    Want an s6 but rumour is the s7 is out in Jan right? Tempted to wait it out.

Usually around March/April each year, I think.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just got a new update this morning: G920FXXU3QOJH

Not sure what it changes, haven't noticed anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wakatchi Indian

This question has probably been asked already in this long thread, but what's the best way to go about getting a sim fee s6 edge in Ireland? I've seen good deals on Amazon but i'm not sure they seem to be second hand? Where's the best place to get a new Sim free s6 edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

byte wrote: »
    Just got a new update this morning: G920FXXU3QOJH

Not sure what it changes, haven't noticed anything yet.

There is App optimisation now in Smart manager. It pops up every 2-3 days for you to review what app's are being optimised and you can also add them to an exception list.
    Battery life had improved also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Carphone warehouse normally have sim free version of most flagship phones , I got my s6 from 3 and unlocked it with no problems .

byte

1jcdub wrote: »
    There is App optimisation now in Smart manager. It pops up every 2-3 days for you to review what app's are being optimised and you can also add them to an exception list.
    Battery life had improved also!
    Cheers for that.

The battery does seem to be improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

How do it do the new update? Can't find anywhere online to download it. My build number is lmy46x.g920fxxu2coh2

I'm rooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

byte wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

The battery does seem to be improved.

I play a Darts game very often and I can't see the battery improvement.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    How do it do the new update? Can't find anywhere online to download it. My build number is lmy46x.g920fxxu2coh2

I'm rooted.

Any help guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have a genuine Samsung one. Got it instead of the normal one by accident. You are welcome to it if you like. Work in dublin city. Dublin 2

byte

I'm rooted.
    I just got a notification that a new update was available and clicked download/install.

Dunno about rooted devices, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I'm rooted.

I'm not 100% sure on rooted devices but maybe try & download the "SmartSwitch for PC" option here on this page & then download the update to your device:
    http://www.galaxys6edgeupdate.com/update-build-g920fxxu3coi9-on-galaxy-s6-sm-g920f-features-battery-life-and-apps-optimization/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Also regarding the new update i.e. G920FXXU3COI9, I'm noticing a good difference to my battery performance after a few charge cycles

I was usually was getting 15 - 24 hours on battery, with up to 2hrs 30 mins for Screen on Time.

Now I'm anywhere from 20 - 30 hours on battery, with 3hrs 30mins - 4 hrs SOT

No change in my daily app usage so it's a nice long overdue improvement from Samsung, finally.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

yabadabado wrote: »

A trick I've used is to train 2 of the fingerprint slots for my right thumb, instead of just 1. I have it trained for my 2 thumbs and my right index finger and I never have any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Tzardine wrote: »
    I have a genuine Samsung one. Got it instead of the normal one by accident. You are welcome to it if you like. Work in dublin city. Dublin 2

Thanks for the offer! :) But I have to return my S6 edge to three because of the reception. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Speaking of genuine Samsung cases. My 4 month old S6 Edge is gone back to Samsung customer care due to screen damage thanks to the genuine Samsung Clear View case it sat in, since day 1. If you have one, I would remove it right away or ensure you have a very good quality screen protector fitted.

I had to fight Samsung as they said they were only helping people up to 3 months into ownership (I am into my 4th month). The fix is screen replacement, along with some sort of protector for the clear view case so that it can be still used with the phone. I had not realised how well documented this issue was online, until I was presented with the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Craic Addict

Hey all,

Just wondering if most of the s6 owners are happy with their purchase?
    Strongly considering buying one this week but feedback would be great first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hey all,

Personally I love the phone, had it since launch and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble

I have to admit I take the case off it from time to time to admire the glass back ! ha

I got the white flat s6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Hey all,

Mostly happy with my purchase (S6, 32GB, black, unlocked, Android 5.1.1).

The only annoyance is that some apps appear to be randomly crashing. It's easy to notice it when the app that crashes is Spotify or Endomondo. I guess this might happen to other apps, but I wouldn't be able to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Craic Addict

Thanks guys, Im going to be upgrading from a huawei y330 lol.
    I had the s5 but lost it months ago so ended up with this piece of junk.
    Do you know of a decent case I could get for it?

I'm not 100% sure on rooted devices but maybe try & download the "SmartSwitch for PC" option here on this page & then download the update to your device:
    http://www.galaxys6edgeupdate.com/update-build-g920fxxu3coi9-on-galaxy-s6-sm-g920f-features-battery-life-and-apps-optimization/

smart switch says the latest softeare version is OH2(THP)

i havent downloaded any software since getting my phone like 5 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

changed my rooted s6 firmware and now have the latest update. it will be interesting to see how much battery i save. any other changes i should look out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I bought mine Saturday and am really happy with my purchase so far. I upgraded from a Galaxy S4 and all I wanted was extra storage and battery life. Got both and a much better camera, screen and far faster phone.

Hopefully I won't be back in this thread complaining about it any time soon!

As for cases, I went for an Otterbox. Always do. Resilient in drops and falls and the newer range isn't even that bulky. That's the Symmetry line, you can still get the much bigger ones that do offer extra protection if needed.

Only complaint is the lack of waterproofing which surprised me after the S5 was resilient. I got insurance just in case...

Only complaint is the lack of waterproofing which surprised me after the S5 was resilient. I got insurance just in case...

The reason it's not waterproof is that it's made of metal and not plastic like the S5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Looking at changing my S4 for an S6 in the coming weeks. I'm wondering how much of the internal storage is lost out of the box on the operating system and bloatware? If I remember right from when I purchased my S4 there was about 7/8GB used up before putting in a memory card. Trying to figure out now if 32GB is enough on the S6 or should I go for the 64GB.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Looking at changing my S4 for an S6 in the coming weeks. I'm wondering how much of the internal storage is lost out of the box on the operating system and bloatware? If I remember right from when I purchased my S4 there was about 7/8GB used up before putting in a memory card. Trying to figure out now if 32GB is enough on the S6 or should I go for the 64GB.

Not much bloatware at all. I think you can freeze them without rooting too.

Is my optimization working lads? Not sure if I need to do anything. Check out my attachment.

• Advertisement

markc1184 wrote:

32GB is more than enough personally but I don't plan on keeping the phone for more than a year and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Thinking of getting this to replace my HTC M8, my only concern is the battery life, how are people finding it ?

threein99 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this to replace my HTC M8, my only concern is the battery life, how are people finding it ?

I came from the HTC m8 and i definitely find battery life better than the m8 (especially after the latest update) I have the 64gig gold version and it really is a thing of beauty. The screen/camera and general speed are class leading in my opinion and it's felt like a nice upgrade compared to my m8 (which i also loved i might add). I dont have a problem last the full day but the quick charge is a lovely addition it can literally give you a few hours boost in a number of minutes charging. Handy before you head out etc.

To answer an earlier question by someone i love the s6 edge and if they have a bigger battery in the S7 edge i'll be all over that. Having not owned a samsung since the s3 i found touch wizz a lot better than i remembered too. It's a lot more paired down compared to previous variants and a lot closer to stock android IMO.

Also upgraded from the M8 here.

Battery is fine especially with fast charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

My battery doesn't last an 8 hour shift in work with power saving on! What am i doing wrong???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

jones wrote: »
    I came from the HTC m8 and i definitely find battery life better than the m8 (especially after the latest update) I have the 64gig gold version and it really is a thing of beauty. The screen/camera and general speed are class leading in my opinion and it's felt like a nice upgrade compared to my m8 (which i also loved i might add). I dont have a problem last the full day but the quick charge is a lovely addition it can literally give you a few hours boost in a number of minutes charging. Handy before you head out etc.

To answer an earlier question by someone i love the s6 edge and if they have a bigger battery in the S7 edge i'll be all over that. Having not owned a samsung since the s3 i found touch wizz a lot better than i remembered too. It's a lot more paired down compared to previous variants and a lot closer to stock android IMO.
    haiyna wrote: »
    Also upgraded from the M8 here.

Battery is fine especially with fast charger.

Cheers lads, that's me convinced
    markc91 wrote: »
    My battery doesn't last an 8 hour shift in work with power saving on! What am i doing wrong???

Have you data/wifi switched on ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Possibly have all sorts of apps checking for data etc all the time.

Yeah have data on but so has a mate in work who still has 60+% left after the 8 hours

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah have data on but so has a mate in work who still has 60+% left after the 8 hours

Can you go into settings and take a screenshot of your battery usage and post it?

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Can you go into settings and take a screenshot of your battery usage and post it?
    Doesn't look right

• Advertisement
Advertisement