Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

markc91 wrote: »
    Doesn't look right

No 9 hours on a full charge is not right. Can you click into it to show the breakdown of whats using the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

How come it says you're optimising 16 apps? Mine says 0. What did you do to optimise them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

First thing first, remove the auto brightness for your screen and turn it down a touch.

Then i would go into the 4G settings and remove the wifi assist thing, cant remember the exact name. it will improve the battery a small bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Screen at 5% seems a lot this early in the day. Do you have it on full brightness?

jonny24ie wrote: »
    First thing first, remove the auto brightness for your screen and turn it down a touch.

Then i would go into the 4G settings and remove the wifi assist thing, cant remember the exact name. it will improve the battery a small bit.

It's in the wifi menu under 'more' and its called "smart network switch" turn that off as well as 'always allow scanning' under the same menu

Auto brightness is turned off and screen is on this brightness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Auto brightness is turned off and screen is on this brightness

Turn off your GPS too

threein99 wrote: »
    Turn off your GPS too

I've heard that leaving gps turned on in relation to battery is negligible as it only activates when your using google maps or some other location based app etc and apparently the most amount of energy used is when you turn it on or off to begin with.

I could be wrong though...i never totally turn off gps.

Screen brightness is a massive battery hog if you have it on 100% and have the screen on a lot - which lets face it is basically everytime you pick up the phone i think you'd struggle to last the day on single charge. I have mine on about 50/60%

• Advertisement

jones wrote: »
    I've heard that leaving gps turned on in relation to battery is negligible as it only activates when your using google maps or some other location based app etc and apparently the most amount of energy used is when you turn it on or off to begin with.

Screen brightness is a massive battery hog if you have it on 100% and have the screen on a lot - which lets face it is basically everytime you pick up the phone i think you'd struggle to last the day on single charge. I have mine on about 50/60%

No GPS is used when you access google to search aswell. I would turn it off unless its needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

My general rule is if I'm not using it then in switch it off, whether it's WiFi, data, GPS, Bluetooth etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i had similar battery performance when i got my phone a few months ago. it was especially bad after i'd installed the 5.1.1 update. However, i did do a factory reset and its like a new phone

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i had similar battery performance when i got my phone a few months ago. it was especially bad after i'd installed the 5.1.1 update. However, i did do a factory reset and its like a new phone

I've always found that once a new big iteration of Android launches regardless of make your always better off doing a factory reset - it's like it never 100% takes unless it's a clean install.

Regarding GPS i know google search uses it as well but i'm not sure how much % of battery it actually uses on a daily basis. Unless you're using google maps a lot or google search or basically anything google ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

MarkY91 wrote: »
    How come it says you're optimising 16 apps? Mine says 0. What did you do to optimise them?

If you click into 'Detail' you can individually go into each app and decide how you want it to optimise. I put all of mine to 'Always Power Saving' and it will learn from your usage. It made a huge difference to the battery life on my s4 after it got its update last week.

markc1184 wrote: »
    If you click into 'Detail' you can individually go into each app and decide how you want it to optimise. I put all of mine to 'Always Power Saving' and it will learn from your usage. It made a huge difference to the battery life on my s4 after it got its update last week.

Is it better to have them all as always power saving or always optimising?

• Advertisement

yeah this is what i was wondering so i was afraid to mess with anything. i dont want or need most of my apps to do anything unless i open them so excluding thingsl ike whatsapp, i should put them onto power saving?

i have my phone rooted and use greenify so do you think it could conflict with that? or is there even a point in putting them into power saving as thats greenifys job more or less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm not sure which is best but this is what has worked best for me based on my usage. It also still says optimising along with always saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Lads,

Anyone have an annoying loose home button like on this youtube video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5FoWeDGQZ4

A fair few people have this on android central and xdc forums and some people went through 4 of them before they got one with a good home button. My platinum gold has it and it's annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Flaccus wrote:
    Anyone have an annoying loose home button like on this youtube video.

Yes I do too but I got over it after hearing how hard it is to get one that's not loose.

If you push down really firmly on the button maybe twice a day then it gets a lot better.

Screenshots of my first full charge with the latest firmware with better battery.

How is it going? I'd say I used it to the average I'd use it most other days.

• Advertisement

Now MarkY91 there's Mone since 10 this morning that's not right the difference between the phones mines an s6 edge btw

Now MarkY91 there's Mone since 10 this morning that's not right the difference between the phones mines an s6 edge btw

You're is worse as you used more apps and power.

Doing alot of gambling I see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I'm changing to this phone after using an iPhone for 2 years. What are the best apps I should download for this? Thanks.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I'm changing to this phone after using an iPhone for 2 years. What are the best apps I should download for this? Thanks.

Google play store is very similar to apple store IMO most of the apps are literally the same look and feature wise

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

Anybody else have their background motion effect randomly cease working. This was fixed with a software update a while back but it appears to have raised it's head again (at least for me anyway).

Mundane wrote: »
    Anybody else have their background motion effect randomly cease working. This was fixed with a software update a while back but it appears to have raised it's head again (at least for me anyway).

Never noticed it stopping i have to admit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Picked up a brand new S6 a few weeks ago. Loving it so far. Screen is excellent, camera is excellent. Touchwiz is definitely much improved since my S2 and S3 days. Battery could be better but quick charge makes up for it. My only real gripe is that when listening to music via earphones that the volume is a bit on the low side compared to my old M7 which is disappointing.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Picked up a brand new S6 a few weeks ago. Loving it so far. Screen is excellent, camera is excellent. Touchwiz is definitely much improved since my S2 and S3 days. Battery could be better but quick charge makes up for it. My only real gripe is that when listening to music via earphones that the volume is a bit on the low side compared to my old M7 which is disappointing.

Don't you go to full volume and then into the red zone?

Don't you go to full volume and then into the red zone?

Yep but it's still low compared to my old M7

Its fine to me but that's because I came from an s5 mini. I had louder devices before though

• Advertisement

The volume threshold seems a lot lower on the s6 edge and by that i mean the warning about high volumes kicks in very early i think...either that or i'm just deaf :D

How long do people think before we'll see Android M?

Its fine to me but that's because I came from an s5 mini. I had louder devices before though

I'm sure there's a way to make it louder but that would require root and I'm still wary about tripping Knox and voiding warranty given that my device is still so new.

jones wrote:

I doubt we'll be seeing if before 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hi guys getting an s6 from the better half for Christmas and i want to get case for it in advance so just wondering what you guys have used or think is the best one to get?

Im looking at one of the smart view covers has anyone tried the full transparent ones? Do they work well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hi guys getting an s6 from the better half for Christmas and i want to get case for it in advance so just wondering what you guys have used or think is the best one to get?

Im looking at one of the smart view covers has anyone tried the full transparent ones? Do they work well?

I had a smart view cover on my S4, and sometimes it can be very annoying. For example, it makes the phone difficult to hold when taking pictures, and also won't snuggly fit into the car holder, if you use one. Last but not least, this cover offers very little protection.

For my S6, I went with an OtterBox. It protects the phone very well, doesn't make it too bulky, and it keeps the candy bar form factor (for pictures and the car holder).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Anyone having issues with the Facebook app? Opens for a few seconds then closes. No message about force closing or anything, just shuts off?

Anyone having issues with the Facebook app? Opens for a few seconds then closes. No message about force closing or anything, just shuts off?

No problem here.

The volume threshold seems a lot lower on the s6 edge and by that i mean the warning about high volumes kicks in very early i think...either that or i'm just deaf :D

Also the voltage output is rated under .6v which is only about 60% of what the HTC m8 or IP6 achieves. Combined with EU laws restricting devices to 100db max if sold with earphones, makes the gain on the S6 fairly anaemic. Almost no volume at all till you get to the 80-85% mark. Thing is I tried out the S6 in store and it was much louder than my yoke as I reckon the demo models weren't restricted. Anyway, rooting and playing around with some of the android settings can sort it.

haiyna wrote: »
    No problem here.

Strange. Downloaded the Facebook update this morning and now the app won't even open.

• Advertisement

Strange. Downloaded the Facebook update this morning and now the app won't even open.

Still fine here.

Did you try deleting it?

haiyna wrote: »
    Still fine here.

Did you try deleting it?

Uninstalling updates and disabling/re-enabling is as good as I can do and that didn't work. It must be another app I've installed interfering with it.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Also the voltage output is rated under .6v which is only about 60% of what the HTC m8 or IP6 achieves. Combined with EU laws restricting devices to 100db max if sold with earphones, makes the gain on the S6 fairly anaemic. Almost no volume at all till you get to the 80-85% mark. Thing is I tried out the S6 in store and it was much louder than my yoke as I reckon the demo models weren't restricted. Anyway, rooting and playing around with some of the android settings can sort it.

I find the music to be terrible on the S6 earphones. I have s5 earphones that are so much better.

I find the music to be terrible on the S6 earphones. I have s5 earphones that are so much better.

The earphone that came with the S6 are terrible very cheap quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

jayo26 wrote: »

I got this one through ebay a few weeks ago, great case I must say.

http://www.progadgets.com.au/assets/alt_7/va202.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Treated myself to the S6 or S6 edge for Christmas. I am not sure which to get. I mainly use my phone for web browsing. The large amount of RAM is my main attraction to the phone as my HTC is a nightmare. I am not really sure is the S6 edge worth the extra money (although it does look fab)! Could any advise me of the main differences in day to day usage? I am not the most tech minded person. Thanks

• Advertisement

Never even used them myself. Look like apple knockoffs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I found them to be great. Only thing is it is easy to loose the buds when using them daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I tried them out and decided to go back to the ones that came with my S4. Which also weren't great quality.

It's a little annoying to see good quality peripherals coming with Sony and HTC phones and then these little plasticy things with the Samsung.

TBH I've had the S2,S3,S4,S5 and the S6 and the S5 and S6 earphones have been the best so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hi guys i been looking at a lot of cases and i really like the look of the clear view flip cover cases so ill probably get one of them has nyone used any of these? Anyone know is there much difference in the quality of the cases for a tenner on ebay over the quality of the case for 40 quid on sites like mobilefun.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement