Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hi guys i been looking at a lot of cases and i really like the look of the clear view flip cover cases so ill probably get one of them has nyone used any of these? Anyone know is there much difference in the quality of the cases for a tenner on ebay over the quality of the case for 40 quid on sites like mobilefun.ie

Avoid at all costs. If you do any research you will see these have a habit of attracting grit and actually scratching the s6 glass. Samsung acknowledged the problem and their fix was to replace peoples glass and attach a screen protector. All the clear view cases material is pretty crap and the back gets scratched up very easily.

The cheap ass cases tend to do the job and are ok if you are careful with your phone but offer almost zero drop protection. The 2 best cases you can get in shops now are the otter box symmetry and uag protective case (around 29.99 in most meteor stores) which are good for around a 2 metre drop assuming you don't face plant it. Also the spigen slim armour is pretty good and can be got from spigen.co.uk or amazon. If you want something slimmer then spigen neo hybrid is recommended.

Personally I think the uag offers the best balance of protection and design. I've had over 10 different s6 cases, mixture of slim and protective and keep coming back to the uag :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Flaccus wrote: »
    Avoid at all costs. If you do any research you will see these have a habit of attracting grit and actually scratching the s6 glass. Samsung acknowledged the problem and their fix was to replace peoples glass and attach a screen protector. All the clear view cases material is pretty crap and the back gets scratched up very easily.

The cheap ass cases tend to do the job and are ok if you are careful with your phone but offer almost zero drop protection. The 2 best cases you can get in shops now are the otter box symmetry and uag protective case (around 29.99 in most meteor stores) which are good for around a 2 metre drop assuming you don't face plant it. Also the spigen slim armour is pretty good and can be got from spigen.co.uk or amazon. If you want something slimmer then spigen neo hybrid is recommended.

Personally I think the uag offers the best balance of protection and design. I've had over 10 different s6 cases, mixture of slim and protective and keep coming back to the uag :)

Ok thanks for that mate im not really heavy on dropping my phone its more so the getting scratched and scuffed in my pocket that i want to avoid, what about the smart view covers are tey as bad then even tho they have a cloth material on inside? Ill have a looat the uag i generally like slim covers that give some hint of the original design and feel.

Ok thanks for that mate im not really heavy on dropping my phone its more so the getting scratched and scuffed in my pocket that i want to avoid, what about the smart view covers are tey as bad then even tho they have a cloth material on inside? Ill have a looat the uag i generally like slim covers that give some hint of the original design and feel.

The smart view covers are ok but the quality of the plastic they use for window is pants and will get scratched up and icky in no time.

You could chance the samsung protective case. It really only protects the corners and back but if you have your phone in a separate pocket it is difficult to beat in terms of keeping the design original.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Protective-Clip--Cover-Galaxy/dp/B00U7YC9VW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1448320832&sr=8-6&keywords=galaxy+s6++official+samsung+protective+case

Also there is a range of spigen cases which are pretty slim
    http://www.spigen.co.uk/cell-phone/samsung/galaxy-s6.html/

The thin fit, neohybrid, and ultra rugged are very slim.

The liquid crystal is the thinnest of all but I had one and it was like a very thin pics of rubber and kept coming away at the sides.

My choice would be the neo hybrid.

I generally avoid all the clear back cases as they tend to scratch up and anything with a clear back requires you to add a thin protector to the back of the phone to stop air bubbles from appearing.

The smart view covers are ok but the quality of the plastic they use for window is pants and will get scratched up and icky in no time.

You could chance the samsung protective case. It really only protects the corners and back but if you have your phone in a separate pocket it is difficult to beat in terms of keeping the design original.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Protective-Clip--Cover-Galaxy/dp/B00U7YC9VW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1448320832&sr=8-6&keywords=galaxy+s6++official+samsung+protective+case

The liquid crystal is the thinnest of all but I had one and it was like a very thin pics of rubber and kept coming away at the sides.

I generally avoid all the clear back cases as they tend to scratch up and anything with a clear back requires you to add a thin protector to the back of the phone to stop air bubbles from appearing.

Thank you veey much for your reply and information i like the look of the neo hybrid too it looks nice and grippy without been too bulkey.

Thank you veey much for your reply and information i like the look of the neo hybrid too it looks nice and grippy without been too bulkey.

Your welcome. Yeah, its probably the best over all. I drop stuff so went for the UAG :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

I've the liquid crystal and love it i have to say...i didn't want a case that covers up the looks of the s6 edge - otherwise what's the point of shelling out for a good looking phone.

The liquid crystal is near invisible in terms of blocking the phone design but protection obviously wouldn't be as good as the full armour ones. It was the perfect choice for me though very happy with my purchase

Great looking case. Maybe mine was a dud. Sides kept slipping off. I guess would be OK for scratch protection.

Weird I haven't noticed mine slipping off at all infact it fits fairly snuggly which is great - maybe over time it does become looser though seeing as its so thin.

jones wrote: »
    Weird I haven't noticed mine slipping off at all infact it fits fairly snuggly which is great - maybe over time it does become looser though seeing as its so thin.

Where did you buy yours

jayo26 wrote:
    Where did you buy yours

Amazon mate think it was £7 give or take

• Advertisement

jones wrote: »
    Amazon mate think it was £7 give or take

Cheers mate i see they only 8 quid on the spigen site so might get one of each from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Can you buy stuff off the official Samsung Ireland website ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Folks whats the best price on these at the moment?Would there be any discounts on tomorrow do ye reckon?

I'm sure there will be seeing as its coming near the end of the flagship cycle. If as the rumours say we're going to hear about the s7 in jan/feb the s6 will definitely start to drop a little in price. That being said i doubt you'll get one for half nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Is 529 on three pre pay the best price around?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Zipppy

That's a great price....have one as a work phone but getting promoted and losing it in the move..madness.
    Love it so will buy one for myself methinks..

Zipppy wrote: »
    That's a great price....have one as a work phone but getting promoted and losing it in the move..madness.
    Love it so will buy one for myself methinks..

Will they not Give you an option to buy the phone. I know in a previous job i had i had a laptop and when i was changed department they allowed me buy the laptop and keep the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

JoyPad wrote: »
    I had a smart view cover on my S4, and sometimes it can be very annoying. For example, it makes the phone difficult to hold when taking pictures, and also won't snuggly fit into the car holder, if you use one. Last but not least, this cover offers very little protection.

For my S6, I went with an OtterBox. It protects the phone very well, doesn't make it too bulky, and it keeps the candy bar form factor (for pictures and the car holder).

Which otter box did you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

kala85 wrote: »
    Which otter box did you get.

Symmetry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Is 529 on three pre pay the best price around?

€473 with Pixmania

http://www.pixmania.ie/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s6-cosmos-black-4g-32-giga-smartphone/22516199-a.html

jayo26 wrote:
    Will they not Give you an option to buy the phone. I know in a previous job i had i had a laptop and when i was changed department they allowed me buy the laptop and keep the phone.

Phones encrypted and I gather when that's taken off performance suffers...think I'd just prefer my own..

Phones encrypted and I gather when that's taken off performance suffers...think I'd just prefer my own..

You could root it pal put a decent rom on it and it would be fine id imagine but yehh of course if you have chance of getting your own sure why not :)

jayo26 wrote:
    You could root it pal put a decent rom on it and it would be fine id imagine but yehh of course if you have chance of getting your own sure why not

Hmmmm yeah I could try that before shelling out for new one...anyone got good instructions for rooting S6?

• Advertisement

Hmmmm yeah I could try that before shelling out for new one...anyone got good instructions for rooting S6?

YouTube is you friend there and the xda forums for all the software you will need, I would say do not attempt to root it until you are confident of the process if you have never done one before but its very addictive when you get used to it, I've tried so many different roms on my phones over years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Does anyone else find that having nfc enabled drains your battery quickly?

Does anyone else find that having nfc enabled drains your battery quickly?

I dont have the s6 yet but I know on my old s4 this was the case so i use to turn it off dont think i ever actually used it anyway. Does anyone use nfc? Does the Samsung pay thingy work well in ireland?

jayo26 wrote:
    I dont have the s6 yet but I know on my old s4 this was the case so i use to turn it off dont think i ever actually used it anyway. Does anyone use nfc? Does the Samsung pay thingy work well in ireland?

Afaik Samsung pay isn't available yet in Ireland.

Afaik Samsung pay isn't available yet in Ireland.

Ahh right I hadn't read up on it much just seen it mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Is anyone having trouble with the handset when it comes to charging?

Having been having trouble with mine, the charger heats up to the extent that if you weren't expecting it you'd get quite a shock. It stops charging midway through charging, and has reverted back to normal charging!

Have sent it off via Vodafone twice and still have the same trouble. Changed the charge cable 3 times since getting phone in July!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3828643/Trail/searchtext>GREAT+OFFERS+ON+SELECTED+MOBILES.htm?cmpid=COJUN&storeId=10152&_%24ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7337207&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.ie%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F3828643%2FTrail%2Fsearchtext%253EGREAT%2BOFFERS%2BON%2BSELECTED%2BMOBILES.htm&referrer=COJUN
    Anyone see it cheaper?

Settled on the griffin reveal case after its not ultra thin but has good drop protection and clear back. Cost 12 euro in the vodafone shop.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3828643/Trail/searchtext>GREAT+OFFERS+ON+SELECTED+MOBILES.htm?cmpid=COJUN&storeId=10152&_%24ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7337207&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.ie%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F3828643%2FTrail%2Fsearchtext%253EGREAT%2BOFFERS%2BON%2BSELECTED%2BMOBILES.htm&referrer=COJUN
    Anyone see it cheaper?

Ordered one from simply electronics and have had nothing but hassle. In the end cancelled my order. Also had trouble ringing them bunch of ****wits steer clear.

A lot to be said about buying from bricks and mortar shop.

Going to order from Argos I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

MiCr0 wrote: »

Installed it yesterday. Any idea how to get Now on Tap working? Possibly bring dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

clacks wrote: »
    Installed it yesterday. Any idea how to get Now on Tap working? Possibly bring dumb.

Hold the home button when phone is unlocked?

TBi wrote: »
    Hold the home button when phone is unlocked?

Nah... That just brings up the normal Google now yoke.

What do you want to bring up exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

clacks wrote: »
    Nah... That just brings up the normal Google now yoke.

Should do Google on tap on 6. Does on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Ordered the S6 edge plus in Gold sim free, Wireless charger and clear view cover yesterday. Now the waiting game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Is this android 6.0 beta worth getting? Any battery life improvement?

What do you want to bring up exactly?
    I thought it would give me an option to turn now on tap on. Checked all the menus. No sign of it. English is the default language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

[6.0 beta] Anyone found a call log?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Anyone know the cheapest place for an s6 at the moment?

clacks wrote:
    I thought it would give me an option to turn now on tap on. Checked all the menus. No sign of it. English is the default language.

I had a look through mine just there. Can't seem to find it either.

Lenny wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest place for an s6 at the moment?

Pixmania with discount code €438 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Hi does anybody know where the best place to get an unlock code for Gakaxy s6 ordered one from www.unlock-network.com on the 23rd but no joy yet it's locked to Vodafone. Even tried the unlock from them but they don't have it yet.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

paconnors wrote: »
    Hi does anybody know where the best place to get an unlock code for Gakaxy s6 ordered one from www.unlock-network.com on the 23rd but no joy yet it's locked to Vodafone. Even tried the unlock from them but they don't have it yet.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

If your entitled to it and gave the proper information vodafone is the best place mate, I unlocked my lumia 930 with them and it took nearly two weeks as was stated when I first asked for it but they did follow threw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Ordered the S6 edge plus in Gold sim free, Wireless charger and clear view cover yesterday. Now the waiting game

Even though it's the 'plus' thread carefully, nothing but hassle from Samsung in having this issue resolved: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97564537&postcount=1254

Advertisement