Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

Wife's htc a9 got MM update last night why are samsung always so slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

sioda wrote: »
    Wife's htc a9 got MM update last night why are samsung always so slow

I assume it is because Samsung have been so slow to unbundle their apps into the Play Store. Others like Sony and Motorola have realised that the days of releasing a Android Skin with apps built into the OS are over.

Why? because it's a disaster if a bug is discovered - you have to go through carrier testing again. In addition, even after release, people are left with apps that receive no further updates after 18 months because no OS updates are sent out - so many changes have to be rushed to get into the OS release.

By uncoupling apps into the Play Store, Sony and Motorola can update their OS and their apps at different times. The OS skin is leaner and people can receive updates to the apps as long as the apps remain in existence.

I know with the S6, Samsung had begun unbundling their apps, but they have a long way to go. Until then, testing will be always more intensive than for competitors. But they are getting there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Anyone else having problems with the intermittent distortion of the loud speaker when playing a video or the ring tone? Is it hardware problem or software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Whats the best way to mirror the screen to my TV seen as the MHL to HD adapters don't work with the S6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

keano25 wrote: »
    Whats the best way to mirror the screen to my TV seen as the MHL to HD adapters don't work with the S6?

chromecast works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Marshmallow is rolling out across lots of other countries. EU and UK anyway, no sign of it here yet. Some are even getting it on Vodafone locked phones in the UK.
    Anyone in Ireland get it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

I bought my s6 edge sim free from eglobal and only just realised that its an United Arab Emirates region phone - i assumed it was the european as its a G925F..its totally unlocked but i've to wait until MM is released in that region. God knows how long that will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Just checked and downloading the MM update, S6 on Vodafone bill pay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Just checked and downloading the MM update, S6 on Vodafone bill pay :)

ditto :)

are you coming from 5.1.1 or the 6.x beta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I've a rooted sum free s6 from God knows what region. Im not sure about how to go about updating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭breeno

Dying to check my Vodafone model but phone won't allow me to check over 4g!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Tis a lot snappier !

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I've a rooted sum free s6 from God knows what region. Im not sure about how to go about updating

Did you buy it from eglobal? If so It's more than likely UAE. To check for update just go to settings- about device- software update and check.

I was thinking of flashing one of the other regions to my s6 edge apparently it doesn't trip knox and you dont even have to be rooted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

No update for 3 yet. They will be the last as usual I guess.

Was supposed to be released yesterday but I still haven't gotten it on the unlocked BTU version.
    Three were testing it yesterday so they should not be too far behind.

Took ages for Samsung to get it released, I wonder did they delay the whole lot so they could release the unlocked and carrier versions at the same time?

Oh btw you can manually download and flash it yourself without root but you will need to factory reset to get another OTA update. The likelihood is that there will be another small OTA to fix minor issues in a few weeks but if you were gonna wile the slate clean anyway maybe you could do that.
    Think it was samsung-updates.com that had them. Most people were flashing Vodafone UK version with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Gmaximum

just checked SG on Voda bill pay on its on the way now

For anyone who has installed, is Now On Tap working?

• Advertisement

jones wrote: »
    Did you buy it from eglobal? If so It's more than likely UAE. To check for update just go to settings- about device- software update and check.

I was thinking of flashing one of the other regions to my s6 edge apparently it doesn't trip knox and you dont even have to be rooted

Just some guy off adverts. I might try flashing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Downloading the MM update now on Vodafone PAYG. Will post about differences.

breeno wrote: »

working on mine

Panicked slightly after installing as we use MobileIron and they can be a bit slow to catch up on software upgrades but its working fine. Our corporate standard is Apple so I usually have to wait for our CIO who's the only other Android user to complain if something doesn't work

No not working for me.

I press and hold the home button say with a facebook post open and it opens up the Google app with nothing searched etc.

or am i doing to wrong?

First impressions of this update:
    -Looks nicer visually (as expected)
    -Phone feels a lot faster already

A lot of the stock apps feel and look better such as the music app, gallery etc.

• Advertisement

Anyone who's downloaded the update manually what region are you going for? I can't be bothered waiting for the OTA from Arab emirates region so was going to downloads the Uk/ireland one XEU i think its called

Got it installed no problem but can't get now on tap to work at all. A search online suggests going into Google now voice settings and you can enable it there but I don't see that setting. Any ideas? Vodafone model by the way. Anybody have our working on Vodafone model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 teddykrueger

Cheers guys. Downloading now (VF)

Got it installed no problem but can't get now on tap to work at all. A search online suggests going into Google now voice settings and you can enable it there but I don't see that setting. Any ideas? Vodafone model by the way. Anybody have our working on Vodafone model?
    Scratch that. I changed the phone language to English UK and it turned on!

Mm looks and feels slicker so far.

I must say I'm not a huge fan of Now On Tap.

I feel like it doesn't work half the time and when it does, there's not much functionality in it.

• Advertisement

Does Netflix work for anyone? Update seems to have broken it. Read of problems with it on MM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Few issues since updating - Facebook doesn't connect and my S Health has stopped counting my steps.

Anyone else see these issues?

Scratch that. I changed the phone language to English UK and it turned on!

Mm looks and feels slicker so far.

great tip thanks...fixed mine too.

but its a bit silly and a pretty deep buried bug that the phone needs to be set to a certain language/region, as I've read pages and pages of instructions/settings and not one mention this fact.

OSI wrote: »
    I imagine it's a limitation on Googles part in the same way the likes of Siri and early Google Now were limited to certain regions until they built up the necessary resources to make them work well in each territory.

fair enough but let us mere mortals know at least :)

Anyone on MM use Lastpass? If so, is the app fill working OK? Went kaput on the last 5.1.1 upgrade.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Anyone on MM use Lastpass? If so, is the app fill working OK? Went kaput on the last 5.1.1 upgrade.

Just on this subject..do many of you guys use these type of password storage apps?

are they any good?

my fear is that it is like putting all your eggs in one basket, and if say someone got into the app they would have all passwords, CC and banking details?

no, or are they rock solid?

Does Netflix work for anyone? Update seems to have broken it. Read of problems with it on MM...

You might just be on a Virgin Media connection....

Checked mine and its working

Gmaximum wrote: »
    You might just be on a Virgin Media connection....

Checked mine and its working

I'm not. :)

Right after the update I couldn't get it to work, but it worked on my iPhone and iPad...weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

how are ye downloading the new software? mine is sim free bought in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

how are ye downloading the new software version? mine is s6 unlocked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just downloading mm now for Vodafone s6 on ready to go.

Edit: sorry guys didn't realise this was yerlsterdays news.

Just on this subject..do many of you guys use these type of password storage apps?

are they any good?

my fear is that it is like putting all your eggs in one basket, and if say someone got into the app they would have all passwords, CC and banking details?

no, or are they rock solid?

I don't fully trust them so I don't put my banking/PayPal/card details in them.

When it worked properly it was great. Got 6 months free with the S6 for LastPass.

Any users who were in the MM beta get the update pushed yet?

When I turn fast charging off in the battery menu, the time to 100% is QUICKER. But the fast charge time is the same as always since I got the charger from a guy on adverts.ie

Any ideas why they're the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

Anyone on meteor get mm update yet?

Finding it hard to justify the upgrade to the S7 anyone else stuck in the same situation?

sioda wrote: »
    Anyone on meteor get mm update yet?

Finding it hard to justify the upgrade to the S7 anyone else stuck in the same situation?

Battery life is about it.

Ill upgrade well into the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Hi folks

I've just got this for the S6 Edge:

http://www.ghostekproducts.com/ghostek-armadillo-2-0-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-armor-case.html

I'm also looking for a screen protector although I might forge it and just use the case, any recommendations?

I'm also just about to get the Spigen cases also. Had a bit of a look using search but there is a lot of pages in this thread :)

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Any users who were in the MM beta get the update pushed yet?

An update arrived this morning as a 300mb update.

Android Version:

Baseband version:
    G920FXX3DPB6

Build Number
    MKB29K.G920FXXU3DPBG

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Still nothing here on three :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Im on BTU and nothing yet

Advertisement