Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Small update again today.Will see if WiFi improves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I got so annoyed with getting 6 hours battery life that I decided to take the time to uninstall every app I never used and since doing that I get 20 hours

Obviously one of them was killing the battery

Also set all apps to be optimised except for the few I use all the time

I'm going to have to do the same.Battery is brutal the last few weeks. Data is also getting used up very quickly compared to what normally is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

New update today seems to have improved battery life quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

Can you post the build number? My battery is slowly getting worse and worse, only bought it in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

My s6 edge updated last week while i was in Spain 220mb update to MMB29K.G925FXXU3DPDP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Fakman87 wrote: »
    New update today seems to have improved battery life quite a bit.

Are you on three? I had an update earlier today and after a restart the battery seems to be better so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Anyone having issues with phone heating up since last update? Vodafone have replaced handset already as this is am ongoing issue. But it has started again since the most recent update was installed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The battery life on mine is really starting to annoy me. I came to this from a Z1 compact which had a phenomenal battery life I suppose.

If I didn't use the Z1 it basically didn't use any battery. With this, I'll lose 50-60% of the battery just on standby after around 8 hours. Android OS uses about 40% of the battery even when power saving mode is engaged (as it always is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

Cortecs wrote: »
    The battery life on mine is really starting to annoy me. I came to this from a Z1 compact which had a phenomenal battery life I suppose.

If I didn't use the Z1 it basically didn't use any battery. With this, I'll lose 50-60% of the battery just on standby after around 8 hours. Android OS uses about 40% of the battery even when power saving mode is engaged (as it always is).

I've had my Vodafone s6 edge since the start of December and the battery is gone pretty bad. Losing up to 20 percent in a half hour luas commute and only getting worse as the day goes on.

I'm getting interested in the oneplus 3 but worried I'll regret getting rid of the s6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Mine (Vodafone) had poor battery life after 2nd last update. Since last update (maybe a month ago) it has been fine. With light use during the day I could have 50% left at night.

• Advertisement

@breeno unfortunately, I wouldn't say you'd be worse off with any phone other than this!!

Fast charging gone again. Phone will sporadically use it!

So my S6 nearly went on fire while charging last night. I'm currently trying to get in touch with Three (who I bought the handset from), and Samsung. I've been onto the Samsung live chat twice now only to be disconnected as soon as I get through to a rep.

I've dm'd Samsung on twitter and facebook but still waiting to hear back from them. Has anyone had to contact Samsung Ireland support before?

Doesn't surprise me, mine heats up a ridiculous amount. Haven't been on to them, but I'd assume they'd want to keep customers, so will try to rectify the situation?
    May I ask what happened?

Doesn't surprise me, mine heats up a ridiculous amount. Haven't been on to them, but I'd assume they'd want to keep customers, so will try to rectify the situation?
    May I ask what happened?

I had it on charge and luckily woke up through the night to find it was very, very hot and an electrical burning smell coming from it. Quickly pulled the charger out of the wall and out of the phone (the micro USB end of the cable was stupidly hot). Inspecting it later, there's charring in the charge port on the phone and across the micro USB head.

I guess I'm lucky I woke up when I did!

I had it on charge and luckily woke up through the night to find it was very, very hot and an electrical burning smell coming from it. Quickly pulled the charger out of the wall and out of the phone (the micro USB end of the cable was stupidly hot). Inspecting it later, there's charring in the charge port on the phone and across the micro USB head.

I guess I'm lucky I woke up when I did!

You're very lucky. That's crazy! My micro USB part also gets very hot, almost burned myself off it one night. Happened on my old s6 and the one Vodafone replaced it with, had to be a problem with the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Im constantly getting a noise on mine when im connectd to mobile data. The only way i can describe it is its like an error sound, say if you ran out of charachters while typing and it would give you a sound to alert you, or as if you were pressing the back key. The problem is this is happeing when the phone is idle. Ive taken the cover off to make sure no buttons are being pressed by accident. Im convinced its something running in the background and thats its also killing my battery but cant think of how to figure it out.

Any suggestions??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My Edge is wrecking my head at the moment, the screen is flashing then showing a X in the bottom left followed by a
    X in the bottom right and then the screen comes back on, anyone else come across this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone recommend a good (& cheap!) place to get an unlock code for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Gmaximum

Another software update on Vodafone today. Hopefully a battery lifer improvement

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Gmaximum wrote: »
    Another software update on Vodafone today. Hopefully a battery lifer improvement

Whenever my OH tries to download it, it just says no data connection !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Gmaximum

antodeco wrote: »

Same happened to me on 4G even with permissions set to do so. Worked on WiFi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

antodeco wrote:

Gmaximum wrote:
    Same happened to me on 4G even with permissions set to do so. Worked on WiFi

Worked fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Last update on my phone removed the frequently called numbers, they were normally located In Phone/favorites/Frequently dialed.

It was a handy option to have, rather than now having to search for numbers. I know this is fairly trivial, but someone here might know an easy fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

rogieop wrote: »
    Im constantly getting a noise on mine when im connectd to mobile data. The only way i can describe it is its like an error sound, say if you ran out of charachters while typing and it would give you a sound to alert you, or as if you were pressing the back key. The problem is this is happeing when the phone is idle. Ive taken the cover off to make sure no buttons are being pressed by accident. Im convinced its something running in the background and thats its also killing my battery but cant think of how to figure it out.

Any suggestions??

Not sure if anyone is interested or cares but i worked out that the noise was something to do with my bank card! I had it in my phone case. Every time i take it out the noise doesnt happen at all. The card is one of the contactless payments ones so maybe something in that?

Anyways ive gone back to using my actual wallet now instead!

rogieop wrote:
    Not sure if anyone is interested or cares but i worked out that the noise was something to do with my bank card! I had it in my phone case. Every time i take it out the noise doesnt happen at all. The card is one of the contactless payments ones so maybe something in that?

Yeah, I also used to carry my leap card with my phone and it had the same issue. Took it out since then and haven't heard the noise since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

rogieop wrote: »

Anyways ive gone back to using my actual wallet now instead!

Try turning off NFC in the phone settings and put your card back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Anyone else's fingerprint scanning just disabled itself??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

You're very lucky. That's crazy! My micro USB part also gets very hot, almost burned myself off it one night. Happened on my old s6 and the one Vodafone replaced it with, had to be a problem with the phone

Could also be the fact that you should only charge a fast charge phone during the day because plugging one in all night seems excessive to me , I'm on the note 4 and was told by a meteor staff member to never leave it charging over night or it could go on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Could also be the fact that you should only charge a fast charge phone during the day because plugging one in all night seems excessive to me , I'm on the note 4 and was told by a meteor staff member to never leave it charging over night or it could go on fire

I think it slow charges when it gets to 80% so it would just be the same as a normal charger, no extra risk of fire.

Ideally you would not leave it plugged in over night regardless of whatever charger you use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Keith186 wrote: »
    I think it slow charges when it gets to 80% so it would just be the same as a normal charger, no extra risk of fire.

Ideally you would not leave it plugged in over night regardless of whatever charger you use.

Well that is true and if you have caused damage to a phone by this way of charging I can't see the company replacing or fixing it.
    I have never charged my phone like this and I think if you do leave it plugged in over night you are asking for trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I got a small update, 18mb, with the June security patch date.
    I've noticed it was changed back to slow charging in the settings but even after changing it back to fast charge it always does slow charge when I plug in the cable first but if I unplug and plug it back in it will fast charge.

This happen to anyone else?
    I used to have this bug a few updates ago too but it was fixed at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Keith186 wrote: »
    I got a small update, 18mb, with the June security patch date.
    I've noticed it was changed back to slow charging in the settings but even after changing it back to fast charge it always does slow charge when I plug in the cable first but if I unplug and plug it back in it will fast charge.

This happen to anyone else?
    I used to have this bug a few updates ago too but it was fixed at some stage.

Yea slow charging here too, have to keep plugging in and out till it eventually goes for fast charge. But slow charge for my phone at least is glacial. Been caught out a couple of times where it's been plugged in for hours and barely charged any bit at all.

Bizarrely in my car I have a lead I bought in Aldi and a cigarette lighter plug I bought in a local Mace and the phone always charges quickly on that! Think I might want to consider replacing the Samsung one I have at home. Any recommendations for a decent fast charger?

@Testament1 I got one from my network provider as a replacement when I went in complaining for a 3rd time about that issue. It's just a generic one. Fast charging is solved, phone still over heating!

Wondering if anyone has had this problem - was waiting for an appointment yesterday and next thing I knew my phone screen had corrupted. The colours were similar to that on teletext, the home screen had split into three (two small ones at the top of my screen where date and time normally are, showing my home screen on both & the bottom showing the bottom of my actual homescreen). Tried to power off using the small screens available to me but no avail! It was like that for about 10 minutes and then it self corrected! It was a hairy 10 minutes of panic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wondering if anyone has had this problem - was waiting for an appointment yesterday and next thing I knew my phone screen had corrupted. The colours were similar to that on teletext, the home screen had split into three (two small ones at the top of my screen where date and time normally are, showing my home screen on both & the bottom showing the bottom of my actual homescreen). Tried to power off using the small screens available to me but no avail! It was like that for about 10 minutes and then it self corrected! It was a hairy 10 minutes of panic!

I had this last week! Or something very similar. Vibrant colours, and you could just about see the icons in all the corrupted mess, but nothing would work, even the home button.

I wound up taking the SIM out, and when I rebooted it was back to normal.

Was a panicky few minutes alright :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    I had this last week! Or something very similar. Vibrant colours, and you could just about see the icons in all the corrupted mess, but nothing would work, even the home button.

This also happened to me a while ago but it kinda just fixed itself and I haven't had the problem since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I haven't gone through the whole thread so apologies if it's covered but am having a weird issue lately. Whenever I switch to from portrait to landscape view (with all apps) it pauses a half second after turning 45degrees before continuing. This a known bug? Haven't been able to find it through Google.

Also anyone know when the marshmallow update will arrive for carrier free phones?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Does the S6 suffer from lag like the old Samsungs did? I owned the S1, S2 and S3 and had to install custom roms on all because of lag.
    Haven't used a Samsung in 2 years but considering getting this

Just reading back through this thread
    Is that Android System battery drain still an issue? Do Samsung never learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

G1032 wrote: »
    Does the S6 suffer from lag like the old Samsungs did? I owned the S1, S2 and S3 and had to install custom roms on all because of lag.
    Haven't used a Samsung in 2 years but considering getting this

Yes it does. It's very fast but the lag does start to creep in over time. Drove me back to the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

TBi wrote:
    Yes it does. It's very fast but the lag does start to creep in over time. Drove me back to the iPhone.

Never had any sort of lag myself. The big problem is the battery but otherwise the phone runs perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I agree with dubrov no problems with lag it was just the stupid battery drain but it's perfect since I installed a s7 based rom I'll easily get a day out of it

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree with dubrov no problems with lag it was just the stupid battery drain but it's perfect since I installed a s7 based rom I'll easily get a day out of it

As said in earlier post, the last Samsung I had was the S3. I rooted all Samsungs up to and including that. I remember reading about it being more problematic to root the S4. Something about Knox? Can I root the S6 and still keep it under warranty in the event I'd need to send it for repair?

dubrov wrote: »
    Never had any sort of lag myself. The big problem is the battery but otherwise the phone runs perfectly

How bad is the battery? I don't play games on my Z4 but would have 4G turned on 24/7. Moderate daily use I guess. Depending on the day I could have Spotify or podcasts playing for over 2 hours a day. All I need is to get a day out of the battery. Any problems getting the charge to last a day?

I've hassle with the usb port in mine, it seems to think that there's a VT headset being connected or something, I sent it back to be repaired with no joy, I got a process killer app though and killed all the bloatware, going to bed last night I still had 47% battery and now I've 55%. I was on it fairly heavily today at lunch, I'd say about 3 hours 3G usage (stupid Tesco Mobile) and about 2 hours of phone calls.

G1032 wrote: »
    As said in earlier post, the last Samsung I had was the S3. I rooted all Samsungs up to and including that. I remember reading about it being more problematic to root the S4. Something about Knox? Can I root the S6 and still keep it under warranty in the event I'd need to send it for repair?

No sorry mate you loose your warranty its always been same on any Samsung I root from s2 onwards. I've never had a problem rooting them tho always been straight forward but seems to be less Roms available for the s6 then any other Samsung I've had.

No sorry mate you loose your warranty its always been same on any Samsung I root from s2 onwards. I've never had a problem rooting them tho always been straight forward but seems to be less Roms available for the s6 then any other Samsung I've had.

Cheers. I use to use Triangle Away by Chainfire on the S2 and S3 to reset the flash counter but it seems that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Not true. You are still covered by your warranty and even more importantly by EU consumer law.

If you root your phone and that is the cause of some damage (e.g. it runs some component beyond safe levels) then yes your warranty is voided.

Most manufacturers will automatically reject repair when they see rooted firmware. A quick note explaining that it could not have been the cause of the damage and a threat of small claims court usually resolves the issue quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Just a quick question for those with root. I rooted yesterday with Chainfires CF Auto Root. Reading through the TWRP thread it seems that I would need a custom kernel to install it due to DM Verity on Marshmallow.

Now I haven't rooted a Samsung since the S2, (switched to HTC for a while), but I thought that CF Auto Root was a custom kernel? Or am I incorrect? Just wondering really if I'm free to go ahead with installing TWRP without ending up in a bootloop due to this DM Verity craic.

dubrov wrote: »
    Not true. You are still covered by your warranty and even more importantly by EU consumer law.

If you root your phone and that is the cause of some damage (e.g. it runs some component beyond safe levels) then yes your warranty is voided.

Most manufacturers will automatically reject repair when they see rooted firmware. A quick note explaining that it could not have been the cause of the damage and a threat of small claims court usually resolves the issue quickly.

Ok i wasn't aware of the legal side of it I just always assumed it was a known rule if you root your warranty is void and it's something I've accepted over the years but haven't needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

battery life muck on my 4 month old S6....options?

• Advertisement
Advertisement