Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, I was thinking of changing over from wifi next time the notification comes up.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

OSI wrote: »
    Package Disabler should only really be used if you have a decent idea of what and why you want disabled. For example, I used it to disable the Mirrorlink service, as plugging it into my car resulted in the Android Auto and MirrorLink services entering a race condition meaning neither ever worked. Now just the Android Auto service starts as expected. Unless you're willing to invest time into finding out what impact individual packages are having on the phone, it's pointless.

I don't have any issues like that, was hoping to improve battery performance by disabling all bloatware. I've re-enabled Smart Manager only.

Another reason was I wanted to test a small purchase of an app as had an issue with a subscription being cancelled and I wanted to rule out any card issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I got my Samsung S6 Edge in April on a 24 month Bill pay contract with 3. I have had repeated problems with the device. It shuts down and restarts at least 6 times per day. I've cleared the cache partition, I've deleted any unused apps and updated the software (Version 6.0.1). The problem persists along with it over heating. Today it froze completely and got extremely hot. I'm actually afraid to use it as the heat was so intense.
    I brought it into a 3 store where the unhelpful assistant said my only option was to send it for repair - without the option of a replacement phone !
    My question is what will they do if it is sent for repair. I do not want to leave it in if they are just going to do a factory reset and send it back to me.
    My second question is - Do I have the option to replace it for a different phone ?
    I had problems with my last Samsung and thought I'd give them another chance. Kinda regretting that now

Did you do a factory reset yourself? That's first port of call and may actually fix whatever the issue is.

Q1- They'll do factory reset and unless they replicate the overheating/shutdown issue after that they'll just send it back.
    Q2- they have the option to repair or replace at first afaik. If they can't repair it then they'll replace it.

Is it shutting down and restarting because of the heat or is it two separate issues?

Thanks Keith, I haven't done the reset yet. I'll give that a go first. They are definitely 2 seperate issues. It doesn't overheat everytime it shuts down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

As a last resort on the wifi I downloaded dnset from the plays tore and the wifi worked perfectly.
    I uninstalled it again and back to the same problems.
    From looking around the Internet there seems to be security issues with dnset.
    Now all I need to know is how to replicate what it does.
    More investigation needed......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Latest update has done wonders for my battery, last 3x longer

Redriddick wrote: »
    As a last resort on the wifi I downloaded dnset from the plays tore and the wifi worked perfectly.
    I uninstalled it again and back to the same problems.
    From looking around the Internet there seems to be security issues with dnset.
    Now all I need to know is how to replicate what it does.
    More investigation needed......

Have you tried changing the DNS settings on your router?
    Change them to use Google's DNS, something like 8.8.8.8 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The update that landed yesterday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Keith186 wrote:
    Have you tried changing the DNS settings on your router? Change them to use Google's DNS, something like 8.8.8.8 I think.

Have them changed already...

• Advertisement

Redriddick wrote: »
    Have them changed already...

Oh right. You can also change them directly on your phone to see if that makes a difference. Can't see what else DNSET does except for using a VPN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

My S6 won't install the latest update. It gets so far then crashes and I get a little android figure that looks like he has been shot on the screen.
    Happens every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I had an update in the last week, I wanna gonna update, accidentally accepted it and now I think my wifi/mobile data dropping off issue is fixed.. Not 100% but it's definitely better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I'm rooted but still on stock 6.0.1 firmware and I'm keen to try this new update if it helps my atrocious battery life! Would using Samsung Smart Switch be the easiest way to go about updating since I can't use OTAs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Well updated and battery worse than ever.

Google services.. whatever they are is the main culprit.

Followed closely by Android OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just got an update installed and it's messed up the Calender app. To view or put a note on a particular date, you have to touch the previous day.

I'm starting to get fed up with Samsung now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Same here

Have the S6 for a year now and never had any hardware issues... except terrible battery life and getting hot to the touch. When I first got it my battery life was 6 - 8 hours... after a few updates it now lasts a full day.

Before the last few updates it used to get extremely hot... so hot that it warped the case I had on it - a 'Spigen Hybrid FX' and turned it brown !!!

But that seems to have stopped too - thankfully

Well, my 6 month old S6 came back from the repair shop. According to them it was the battery that was causing it to shut down/restart repeatedly :confused:
    They apparently fitted a new battery, updated the software (to the same version that I updated it to last week) and sent it back to me without my screen protector :(.
    I've restored it and time will tell......

jos28 wrote: »
    Well, my 6 month old S6 came back from the repair shop. According to them it was the battery that was causing it to shut down/restart repeatedly :confused:
    They apparently fitted a new battery, updated the software (to the same version that I updated it to last week) and sent it back to me without my screen protector :(.
    I've restored it and time will tell......
    Least it's back now and hopefully it stays working. Didn't think it would be a faulty battery on an S6!

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    Least it's back now and hopefully it stays working. Didn't think it would be a faulty battery on an S6!

Me neither and so far so good - it stayed on all day today and no overheating. Fingers crossed it stays that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

I'm honestly getting sick of this battery. The phone is still so good otherwise but the battery is just not up to standard anymore. Really looking forward to seeing the S8, the rumours look really promising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Just had an update and now my S6 will only charge from a usb port connected to pc or wirelessly. It's not charging from any mains charger (the chargers and sockets are working fine with other phones). Issue experienced by other users on other forums but no mention of a fix. Has anyone else come across this and managed to fix it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Normally I get great battery life out of mine, often going to bed with over 50% charge left but on Saturday I experienced terrible battery performance, only thing I can link it to was I was in an area of bad coverage on the service "Cell Standby" was taking up over 80% of the battery, everything seems back to normal now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Anyone have any histroy with water damage to the s6. is there any hope of fixing it through repairs or would it be better to get a new phone.

Having the charging issue too, now taking up to 8 hours to charge fully

• Advertisement

Having the charging issue too, now taking up to 8 hours to charge fully
    Did you get the same update as mentioned above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just had an update and now my S6 will only charge from a usb port connected to pc or wirelessly. It's not charging from any mains charger (the chargers and sockets are working fine with other phones). Issue experienced by other users on other forums but no mention of a fix. Has anyone else come across this and managed to fix it?

I had that when the last update came through, but it lasted only a day or so and then resolved itself, randomly enough...

Did you get the same update as mentioned above?

I don't know, no update was specified in that post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd be guessing that the charging issue might be something to do with a dodgy USB cable to gunge in the charge port.

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd be guessing that the charging issue might be something to do with a dodgy USB cable to gunge in the charge port.

No, it's a known issue that has been mentioned on other forums.

Definitely not the charger, plug socket or usb port/cable - it charges every time with any cable when plugged into a pc but not when same cables are plugged into chargers.

• Advertisement

Just got prompted to install an update.
    27.94MB

G920FXXS4DPJ2
    BTU4DPH1
    XXS4DPIA

Are you on one of those now with the charging issues?

Me neither and so far so good - it stayed on all day today and no overheating. Fingers crossed it stays that way

Well, that didn't last long. It starting seriously overheating again, so much so that I felt the heat from my phone through my backpack and jacket while cycling. On Wednesday it shut down completely and I couldn't even start it in safe mode. Back to the shop again but this time I rang Consumer Affairs first. They advised me to negotiate and fight for a replacement phone or refund from Three. Apparently under the Sale of Goods act I had to accept a repair but that repair should be permanent. It wasn't and therefore I can push for a replacement. It goes back to Samsung for the decision to be made. Consumer Affairs also told me to stress that I have reported the serious overheating and as such Three will be liable for any damages caused if it ignites or scorches something. We'll see what happens.

Just got prompted to install an update.
    27.94MB

G920FXXS4DPJ2
    BTU4DPH1
    XXS4DPIA

Are you on one of those now with the charging issues?

From my settings:

Baseband Version G920FXXS4DPIJ
    Build Number MMB29K G920FXXS4DPJ2

So it looks like you're being asked to download the update that caused the charging problem.

On a positive note the problem has disappeared in the last few minutes and the phone is charging from the mains charger again. Not sure if there's any connection but I had just downloaded some app updates (including Samsung Gear) from the Play store

dulpit wrote: »
    I had that when the last update came through, but it lasted only a day or so and then resolved itself, randomly enough...

Looks like the same has happened to me dulpit. Wasn't charging all day but has just rectified itself. Only thing changed was that it downloaded some app updates from Play store.

I updated today and tried charging, working ok so far.

I must say that the battery life isn't fab, but not out of the ordinary for other smartphones either. Between the fast charger at home and my new wireless charging pad at work (which is fab, it feels like a magic trick), I'm happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Dunno if the battery is on par with other smartphones to be honest. My wife has an iPhone 5 and the battery life is far superior. I had a loan of one a few weeks back from work as well and the battery seemed to last for much much longer than my S6. Different league.

Hated everything else about the iPhone but the battery was excellent.

Which is even more hilarious when you consider the battery in the iPhone is nearly half the capacity of that in the Samsung.

You need to take into account how tightly integrated the OS and hardware is for Apple though, it explains how they can get away with smaller batteries with similar lifespans. One of the negative aspects of an open OS like Android. Wonder if the Google Pixel phones will have a marked improvement here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Which is even more hilarious when you consider the battery in the iPhone is nearly half the capacity of that in the Samsung.

I've had an iphone 5 and an iPad mini just completely, randomly die after not much over a year. At different times obviously. After that I moved to Android, wouldn't touch apple again.

Left home at 8am this morning with a fully charged phone. Was down to 5% by 10:30, what the **** are Samsung at.

Unless you had the screen on for YouTube or something the whole time there's definitely something else eating your battery or its faulty. Was the phone hot when this was happening?

I get about 2.5-3 hours screen on time.

Try a factory reset or flashing a new region and starting again to see if it will sort it out. Can work wonders sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So I got one of these last week. The battery is dire and lasts maybe five hours with heavy use and it can be very slow to respond surfing.

Is this normal?

If it's new it should probably last a little longer and I only find some websites slow to load of they've a lot of crap on them.

Turn off auto updates for apps in the play store, they slow down every android I've had.

If you're using the stock browser there's an app called Adblock Fast you can use with it, might help.

Well, that didn't last long. It starting seriously overheating again, so much so that I felt the heat from my phone through my backpack and jacket while cycling. On Wednesday it shut down completely and I couldn't even start it in safe mode. Back to the shop again but this time I rang Consumer Affairs first. They advised me to negotiate and fight for a replacement phone or refund from Three. Apparently under the Sale of Goods act I had to accept a repair but that repair should be permanent. It wasn't and therefore I can push for a replacement. It goes back to Samsung for the decision to be made. Consumer Affairs also told me to stress that I have reported the serious overheating and as such Three will be liable for any damages caused if it ignites or scorches something. We'll see what happens.

The saga continues - Three finally rang me to say my repaired phone was back. I politely told them that I wasn't accepting a repair, I want a replacement. Didn't get anywhere with them. Apparently they have replaced the main board and battery, all that remains of the original phone is the outside casing and screen. Samsung's policy is to replace phones on the 3rd time it is brought back. I'm really reluctant to accept the repair but feel I'm stuck. Any advice would be much appreciated

Yesterday my phone randomly restarted and when it did, it said "No Sim Card / Emergency calls only".
    It restarted itself two more times and still says the same, I took out the sim card and blew into the slot, put it back in and still the same. The phone is still working, all the apps still work when connected to wifi. When i go into settings there's no option for mobile networks? is this because it's not recognising the sim?

I'm with Meteor, is it best to bring it back to them? They shouldn't charge if it's a software problem right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Yesterday my phone randomly restarted and when it did, it said "No Sim Card / Emergency calls only".
    It restarted itself two more times and still says the same, I took out the sim card and blew into the slot, put it back in and still the same. The phone is still working, all the apps still work when connected to wifi. When i go into settings there's no option for mobile networks? is this because it's not recognising the sim?

I'm with Meteor, is it best to bring it back to them? They shouldn't charge if it's a software problem right?

Probably just needs a replacement sim tbh, which will be free and fairly handily done,,,

rogieop wrote: »
    Probably just needs a replacement sim tbh, which will be free and fairly handily done,,,

I hope so, although this sim is only a year old..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

It's a long shot but I'll ask anyway. I signed up to a contract with Vodafone on April 16th 2015 with a new galaxy s6. I'm nearly sure it was an 18 month contract but vodafone are saying it was a 24 month contract because 18 month contracts finished in 2014. Is this correct? Anybody else get an s6 on contract with Vodafone when it was launched? Was it an 18 or 24 month contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's a long shot but I'll ask anyway. I signed up to a contract with Vodafone on April 16th 2015 with a new galaxy s6. I'm nearly sure it was an 18 month contract but vodafone are saying it was a 24 month contract because 18 month contracts finished in 2014. Is this correct? Anybody else get an s6 on contract with Vodafone when it was launched? Was it an 18 or 24 month contract?

Did you ask to see a copy of the contract you signed ?

Im sure Vodafone would have a copy of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

yabadabado wrote: »
    Did you ask to see a copy of the contract you signed ?

Im sure Vodafone would have a copy of it.

They say that because I signed up online or over the phone that they do not have a copy. They said I would have received an email with contract details but that email is long gone. They say 18 month contract were for staff only.

• Advertisement

They say that because I signed up online or over the phone that they do not have a copy. They said I would have received an email with contract details but that email is long gone. They say 18 month contract were for staff only.

Sounds like an amateur operation if they don't have a copy of the contract. How are they to enforce if you stop paying for it if they have no proof you agreed to it?

Advertisement