Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Phoenix wrote: »
    Comparing it to my current phone nexus 5 is it worth the switch over in comparison to the nexus 6 or Iphone 6?

I also have the nexus 5 and I have used the iPhone 5s for a week. If the iPhone 6 is anything like the iPhone 5s, it would nearly be considered stupidity to choose that phone over the S6 or Nexus 6.The iPhone 5s had the power of a €200 phone with a slightly luxurious touch. It had the focus on all the wrong areas. Who wants a 64bit processor with fukall RAM?

Anyway, Id have a good look at the Nexus 6, Samsung Galaxy S6 and the HTC ONE M9 before choosing. IMO they all could be better, but they are the best phones soon to be on the Irish market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

S6 Edge up for pre-order on Ebay Uk. All being shipped from UK and Uk sim free models.

Starting from as low as 499 sterling for the 64GB S6 Edge. Seems like a good price for a sim free one considering they will be around €950 when they launch here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Messing around with an Edge this morning. I'm sold. I haven't had a phone contract in years. I'd be willing to sign up to a 24 monther for this. Can't justify the guts of a grand on a net free phone but am willing to spend a couple of hundred up front for a locked one.

The screen. The bloody screen. It's amazing. Not the curves, although they are too. The clarity. The definition. The colours. I haven't seen a screen so nice, other than the Note 4. 2K+ screen is exceptionally impressive.

Demo units rolling out to store next week. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

RangeR wrote: »
    Messing around with an Edge this morning.

Where / how? You work for one of the networks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'm really looking forward to it now, been out of contract since November with a faulty iPhone waiting to switch! Apparently Uk networks are taking preorders as of tomo so we could hear something soon hopefully

J o e wrote: »
    Where / how? You work for one of the networks?

Distributor.
    Actual live S6 and Edge due here next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Any word on Irish contract prices yet?

J o e wrote: »
    Any word on Irish contract prices yet?

No official word yet but I would imagine in the region of €200 to €500 depending on tariff and memory size of phone [32GB, 64GB, 128GB, Flat vs Edge].

They certainly won't be cheap, especially the Edge. You will be looking close to a grand for a 64GB Edge, Net Free, going by the buy in price.

EDIT
    Sort on the money

Voda prices are out already for Edge 64GB
    RED Essentials/RED Essentials Extra €499.99
    RED/RED Extra €379.99
    RED Super/RED Super Extra €249.99

And for the S6 Flat 32GB
    RED Essentials/RED Essentials Extra €299.99
    RED/RED Extra €179.99
    RED Super/RED Super Extra €49.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Distributor.
    Actual live S6 and Edge due here next week.

Samsung staff were showing off both models in PC World Jervis today as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No official word yet but I would imagine in the region of €200 to €500 depending on tariff and memory size of phone [32GB, 64GB, 128GB, Flat vs Edge].

They certainly won't be cheap, especially the Edge. You will be looking close to a grand for a 64GB Edge, Net Free, going by the buy in price.

EDIT
    Sort on the money

Voda prices are out already for Edge 64GB
    RED Essentials/RED Essentials Extra €499.99
    RED/RED Extra €379.99
    RED Super/RED Super Extra €249.99

And for the S6 Flat 32GB
    RED Essentials/RED Essentials Extra €299.99
    RED/RED Extra €179.99
    RED Super/RED Super Extra €49.99
    Thanks for the info

I assume they're 24 month contracts?

I wonder if 3 will differ much in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Samsung have the 64GB Edge on their UK website for pre order for a whopping £760 converted using XE is €1049 :eek: I think I will pass at that price.

Samsung have the 64GB Edge on their UK website for pre order for a whopping £760 converted using XE is €1049 :eek: I think I will pass at that price.

Yeah, they are going to be expensive. They also don't take SD Cards of any kind. What you get, you're stuck with, as far as storage is concerned. 32GB doesn't really cut it for me.

byte wrote: »
    Thanks for the info

I assume they're 24 month contracts?

I wonder if 3 will differ much in that respect.

Hopefully 3 will differ, Vodafone have always been a rip off network! 3's highest tariff is €55 which I'd have no qualm jumping on for 24 months if it means getting the phone upfront for a 1/4 of what it costs sim free

Yeah, they are going to be expensive. They also don't take SD Cards of any kind. What you get, you're stuck with, as far as storage is concerned. 32GB doesn't really cut it for me.

You can't order a 32GB edge maybe Samsung won't make them it seems to be 64 and 128 for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

My wife is looking for a new phone. She currently has the Z1 and is interested in the S6

I had each of the Galaxy S1, S2 and S3 and gave up on Samsung after the S3 because of the awful lag. No amount of flashing custom ROMs could properly fix it either.

So do any of you who own the S5 get the infamous Samsung Lag?? Have they solved that issue??

G1032 wrote: »
    My wife is looking for a new phone. She currently has the Z1 and is interested in the S6

I had each of the Galaxy S1, S2 and S3 and gave up on Samsung after the S3 because of the awful lag. No amount of flashing custom ROMs could properly fix it either.

So do any of you who own the S5 get the infamous Samsung Lag?? Have they solved that issue??

I have never owed a Samsung but some of the reviews I have read say that the lag is no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm on an S5 and it was fine until the Lollipop update. It's laggy as hell now. Want to smash the phone sometimes.

I have read that factory resetting the phone can help but I shouldn't have to or want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'm on an S5 and it was fine until the Lollipop update. It's laggy as hell now. Want to smash the phone sometimes.

I have read that factory resetting the phone can help but I shouldn't have to or want to do it.

To be fair, the need to do a factory reset after upgrading from 4.4 to 5.0 seems to be common to most devices. It's down to some fairly fundamental changes at a code level in Android, rather than Samsung or any other manufacturer. The reset made a massive difference to my wife's Moto G.

Still a pain in the Swiss, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just an FYI, the Samsung store in the pavillions shopping center swords has a whole table with the S6 and S6 edge on display :D (first and only one currently in ireland I believe)

Just had a good hands on with the edge there and it is one VERY impressive piece of kit. The screen is super crisp, it's lightening fast and a beauty to hold. No prices yet but I am seriously considering moving from iphone for this beast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The s5 is much better. Not 100%, but it's individual apps more than the system itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Elessar wrote: »
    Just an FYI, the Samsung store in the pavillions shopping center swords has a whole table with the S6 and S6 edge on display :D (first and only one currently in ireland I believe)

Just had a good hands on with the edge there and it is one VERY impressive piece of kit. The screen is super crisp, it's lightening fast and a beauty to hold. No prices yet but I am seriously considering moving from iphone for this beast!

Thanks will pop in and have a look.

Hopefully somewhere In Cork will be holding demo sessions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Z1 is still a pretty good phone, I would wait till summer/later in the year when 4k smartphones arrive.

That will be the screen standard for years.

I think the S6/M9/G4 generation are going to have a shorter than normal lifespan at the top.

Feels like we hit a plateau between S4 to S6, Z1 to Z3 generation, but coming out of it now with new memory tech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

thierry14 wrote: »
    Z1 is still a pretty good phone, I would wait till summer/later in the year when 4k smartphones arrive.

Has battery capacity moved on enough to cope with 4k screens though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think the S6/M9/G4 generation are going to have a shorter than normal lifespan at the top.

Feels like we hit a plateau between S4 to S6, Z1 to Z3 generation, but coming out of it now with new memory tech

The majority of smartphones struggle to reach a one day battery life on a 1080p screen. There isn't a chance we will have 4K until the battery technology improves, or we can make other components small enough so that bigger batteries fit.

4K is atleast a few years away from being commonplace but also usable IMO.

As well as being an expensive gimmick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

The majority of smartphones struggle to reach a one day battery life on a 1080p screen. There isn't a chance we will have 4K until the battery technology improves, or we can make other components small enough so that bigger batteries fit.

4K is atleast a few years away from being commonplace but also usable IMO.

As well as being an expensive gimmick..

Can't argue with any of that, but I am sure we will see 4k displays by year end in flagships, even if battery life isn't great.

It's a big selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Hopefully somewhere In Cork will be holding demo sessions

Samsung store in Mahon Point has a bunch of S6 models set up, was in there yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can't argue with any of that, but I am sure we will see 4k displays by year end in flagships, even if battery life isn't great.

It's a big selling point.

I agree that we will see them soon enough, but no one wants a phone with a 4 hour battery life. Once the Chinese manufacturers jump on the 4K ship we might see 1 or 2 worth having, but even they won't appeal to most of the market anyways.

It will be very expensive too, a broken 4K LCD could easily cost upwards of €3-400 judging by the current repair climate.

Can you imagine forking out €300 for a shiny new screen for your €1200 Galaxy 4K so you can use it for another 4 hours?

*edit* I could probably go on but I'll let the thread get back on track :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Erica Griffin always does very good hands on reviews and here she is comparing the S6 against the Edge version.
    This is the 1st review I have seen where someone picked up on the colour shifting inherent in amoled displays and exaggerated by the curve.
    A pity as I like the Edge but I would find the colour shifting distracting when browsing. The curve is also distracting when watching media it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3VsVZxE28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Had a play with an S6 edge in Dundrum today, totally sold on them now.

Carphonewarehouse have opened up pre orders on s6 32gb and edge 64gb, only available in black and white tho so gonna hold off until networks kick off

byte

Carphonewarehouse have opened up pre orders on s6 32gb and edge 64gb, only available in black and white tho so gonna hold off until networks kick off
    Weird, was just gonna post about same. €50 deposit and a free case. God knows what sort of case would be included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What are the bets Vodafone will have their €75 plan and still charge a few quid for the S6?

Weird, was just gonna post about same. €50 deposit and a free case. God knows what sort of case would be included.

Free wireless charger with the edge preorder! Spent 2 years with Vodafone which was torture so I'll more than likely stick with 3, hopefully they'll have a good deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My Samsung S Plus has started receiving old texts for a couple of days on and off regularly (as two examples I've got the same two messages from a contact probably every hour since the weekend, and in any conversation through text I have received duplicates of every text twice/three times over). My battery randomly died before Christmas and Vodafone (my network obviously) told me it was to do with the warranty expiring or something and that I should send it off to Samsung. But as I basically need my phone for work/training teams I was reluctant to do so*. Then this texting bug has developed in the new year and it's extremely irritating as I'm even more busy on the phone.

*re-installed all my previous apps instead, and the phone had memorised all conversations/contacts/matches etc.

If anyone can either a) direct me to the right forum or b) enlighten me with a solution to the problem that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I notice it's bill pay only. Bit odd they won't take a preorder for prepay, I know they push bill pay but hardly much point in limiting potential customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Anyone want to make a guess at 3 prepay prices?

surpy wrote: »

Exceptionally close to NETFREE retail pricing. It's gonna hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

surpy wrote: »

rough guess 650/750eu starting price (32gb) then add couple of hundreds (100eu or 200eu) depending on the size.

• Advertisement

How long do we reckon before networks open pre-orders?

How long do we reckon before networks open pre-orders?

three.ie already has it on pre order ;) not sure about the other networks,

byte

5star02707 wrote: »
    three.ie already has it on pre order ;) not sure about the other networks,
    They do?

I only see an otpion to pre-register, not pre-order (like with the HTC M9)

They do?

I only see an otpion to pre-register, not pre-order (like with the HTC M9)

oops then my bad, yea they haven't released a pre order link atm. jsut pre-register

They'll be in shops, I believe, around April 8/9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

April 11th the guy in the Samsung shop in Swords told me today. Very nice looking devices, the edge doesn't really add much functionally imho, but it looks awesome, would be tempted, the plain S6 is also a fabulous looking device, hand over fist the best Samsungs ever, they have built on what they started with the premium build of the Note 4 and by losing waterproofing and the replaceable battery built a device that easily rivals the iPhone 6 in the design and build stakes.

I wasn't impressed by the iPhone 6 in any respect, certainly not design or build quality.

I wasn't impressed by the iPhone 6 in any respect, certainly not design or build quality.

I take it you are being sarcastic.
    The IP6 has amazing build quality and I have had an M8, Note 4 and Z3 and I believe the 6 is miles ahead. For one, Apple are very careful with their manufacturing process on the 6 when it comes to aluminium. The M8 I found easily scratched/chipped more so than the 6 on the back. The camera on the M8 was a disaster due to the plastic protective lense which had a crappy coating that scratched up. No such problems on the IP6 with the saphire lense. The M8 also had those awful rocker buttons, and as for the Note 4, it was lousy. Using the official samsung protective case scratched the chrome finished bezel edges and certain headphone plugs would erode the painted finish around the headphone jack. Not the only one who has these issues. I liked the Z3 though, but I had issues with what looked like glue under the bottom left panel edge which causes light leakage :( The only minus I can think of on the IP6 is the potential to scratch the so called 'ion-stenghtened' glass easily (or at least the coating), though I never had that issue.

However I am willing to give the S6 edge a go as I believe from holding it in the hand it matches the IP6 in terms of build quality. The design is nicer than the IP6 too but I think that's subjective. To each his own.

No, I'm not. In design terms it's another oblong slab with slightly rounder corners than some other ones. Hardly thrilling or inventive.

In build quality, it's perfectly fine but it's no savile row suit. Whether it's subjectively better than some other phone doesn't change that basic fact.

No, I'm not. In design terms it's another oblong slab with slightly rounder corners than some other ones. Hardly thrilling or inventive.

In build quality, it's perfectly fine but it's no savile row suit. Whether it's subjectively better than some other phone doesn't change that basic fact.

Change what basic fact ? That's it's not a suit ?
    Name 1 phone which has better build quality at the moment than the IP6 ? Perhaps the M8/M9 but again I don't think the aluminium on these HTC phones matches the 6 for quality going by imperfections and nicks in the finish or propensity for picking up marks. Maybe the Z3 I think. I definitely thought it was close to the IP6, perhaps a match. But again none of these phones are 'savile row' suits either and definitely not as svelte as the IP6. The Note 4 is just average build quality in my view. Of course I'm only speaking from personal experience having owned most flag ship phones over the last few years. I haven't taken the thing apart of had a materials scientist look at it :)

As I said design is a subjective thing. I know a couple of people who don't like the Edge and others who hate the glass back. I love the design. As regards the IP6, I think the bezels could be smaller for sure. But most phones today are definitely slab like. I think perhaps the IP5s looked nicer than the 6 design wise.

Personally I will be moving from the IP6 to the S6 Edge if three do decent upgrade prices as I am now due one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement