Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I for one will not be buying one of these and I will defo not be buying something before its been about in the general public for a bit again. I preordered an Alpha and its turned out to be utterly sh1t. It has totally turned me off Samsung and I am even considering not sticking with Android as I have had to use an iphone ( my first ) while my Alpha was being fixed and I kinda like it !
    I am disgusted any company could produce something as awful at its basic job ( taking and making calls ) and get away with it.
    The guy in the Samsung shop told me to offload it to someone on Donedeal !

I've had nothing but Samsung phones and they've all served me well. Yours is just one experience. For me, iPhone can't do half of what I am used to doing with Android, but your mileage may vary. Wouldn't base Samsungs reputation on the Alpha either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

dorgasm wrote: »
    I've had nothing but Samsung phones and they've all served me well. Yours is just one experience. For me, iPhone can't do half of what I am used to doing with Android, but your mileage may vary. Wouldn't base Samsungs reputation on the Alpha either...
    I have had all Galaxy S' from 1 through 4 and now the Alpha, I have enjoyed them all up to this point but I have found the Alpha so bad ( I missed 10 calls one morning alone ) that I cannot face buying another.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I have had all Galaxy S' from 1 through 4 and now the Alpha, I have enjoyed them all up to this point but I have found the Alpha so bad ( I missed 10 calls one morning alone ) that I cannot face buying another.

That's fair enough then. It's just that I've seen people say the same as you, but they've only ever had a crappy Galaxy Ace or worse. The reviews of the S6 have gotten me very excited though, I think it could be worth your while giving it another chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Where is the preorder page on the three website ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Has anyone actually used the S6? The design may be flashier, but it still feels like a cheap peice of plastic... The gorilla glass covers are actually acrylic, and it feels nasty to hold. It is incredibly light weight, in a bad way. I went from holding a HTC M9 to holding the S6 and the difference in quality was truly shocking, try pick up both in the shop...

Also, while the curved screen on the edge is a novelty, it actually causes more problems than it fixes, particularly in my big hands. I found it awkward to hold and was constantly pressing the screen when I didn't want to.

I'm amazed that the reviews don't mention any of this, but then most of the reviews have a very similar tone for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Where is the preorder page on the three website ?

http://www.three.ie/web/samsung-galaxy-s6/
    http://www.three.ie/web/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge/

read the small print
    Pre-Order from Three Ireland to ... make sure you get your phone after the general release date, 10th April*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭beardo81

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Has anyone actually used the S6? The design may be flashier, but it still feels like a cheap peice of plastic... The gorilla glass covers are actually acrylic, and it feels nasty to hold. It is incredibly light weight, in a bad way. I went from holding a HTC M9 to holding the S6 and the difference in quality was truly shocking, try pick up both in the shop...

Also, while the curved screen on the edge is a novelty, it actually causes more problems than it fixes, particularly in my big hands. I found it awkward to hold and was constantly pressing the screen when I didn't want to.

I'm amazed that the reviews don't mention any of this, but then most of the reviews have a very similar tone for some reason...

Acrylic, its not glass like say an iPhone 4? Thought the premium glass finish was the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

surpy wrote: »

Oh balls, I never read that :( that will curb my excitement for few more days! Where's a decent spot to get a cover for the edge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

surpy wrote: »

Grand, I ordered it form Vodafone on an upgrade anyway so all good

Cheers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Oh balls, I never read that :( that will curb my excitement for few more days! Where's a decent spot to get a cover for the edge?

I ordered mine from 3 last night. The girl on the phone said the courier will receive it on Thursday and I will have it on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭thomqs

Is the 26 edge only available in black from three?

Is the s6 edge only available in black from three?

thomqs wrote: »
    Is the s6 edge only available in black from three?

That was the only option given, someone posted earlier that you can get white also

I searched but only found black, also since it will work on o2 and three, will it likely be unlocked if you buy from them, like the note 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Went into the Samsung shop in Dundrum this evening and had a good play with both the S6 and Edge. Not sure I am convinced.. The regular S6 seems like an S5 with metal case and no waterproofing, has a very protruding camera and looks like it will be a balls to repair if any issues. No access screws so it will have to come apart with force if anything breaks. The finish too is not fully up to scratch, still that slight dust gathering gap between screen and frame.

The Edge is nice but the wrap around screen cannot give many benefits as it really only goes about 1.5mm around the side and it is not "Edge" as there is still a big 1mm bezel at the "Edge". Compared it to the Note 4 Edge and its screen wraps around much more, though it is a deeper phone.

Can see micro scratches on the back of both of them, and that's just from being on display in the shops so cannot see the back being very resilient in day to day real life, many will put a cover on it and that will take away from the whole point of putting the glass back on it.

Don't have an issue with no SD card as I do feel they affect Android performance, especially on the photo apps on the Galaxy's, whilst on the battery front, I don't expect to be using the phone for long enough to get to the stage that battery performance starts to degrade.

On the plus side, cannot believe how light they have got the phone - you end up wondering is there a battery in it at all or is it just running off USB. The screen on both of them is very nice and performance feels nippy, but would have seen that on any display model of a phone - its when it goes into use and apps get installed etc. that the real test is.

Now.. before all ye Samsung defenders jump on, Me has gone through every iteration SGS > S5 with Note 3 and Note 4 too, latter being my current handset. I personally will look forward to the Note 5 Edge as I hope any issues with the S6 will be ironed out and I really hope Note 5 Edge is a winner.

My tuppence worth..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Good to have a few different opinions, I need to have a play with one myself before I bite the bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

This on display in Galway or Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The gorilla glass covers are actually acrylic, and it feels nasty to hold.

Interesting, so have they put acrylic covers (which scratch easily) over gorilla glass 4 front and back. ?

According to this it's corning gorilla glass 4 on both sides.
    http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/products-with-gorilla/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge

Putting acrylic over this would make no sense at all. Sony did something similar though and put some kind of plastic protective coating on the Z2 front glass, which I believe wasn't made by Corning. So maybe Samsung have done the same. But it definitely felt like glass to me in the shop. I could see the marks on the back allright but they just looked like usual smudges and not micro scratches. The only way I can imaging it would get scratches is from sand or grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

For anybody hoping for variety from 3....

Welcome to Live Chat.
    Someone will start chatting with you soon.
    You're through to xxxxx.
    xxxxx: Hello,My name is xxxxx. Welcome to Three Sales Support.
    xxxxx: How may I help you today ?
    You: Hi, I'm trying to pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S6 but can't seem to find how to change from 32gig to 64gig model.
    xxxxx: I'll be glad to assist with your query.
    xxxxx: Samsung galaxy s6 is only available with 32GB and samsung galaxy s6 edge is available with 64GB.
    xxxxx: Which phone would you prefer?
    You: I wan't the regular S6 but 32gig is too small. I know Samsung have a 64 gig and 128 gig version, will Three not be stocking these?
    xxxxx: At the moment we only have these two versions,Keep an eye on our website for further detail information.
    You: Ok, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Have they decided on a planned budget yet for it all I've come across is I think roughly 400-500euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Pacifico wrote: »
    This on display in Galway or Limerick?
    3 on Cruises Street have both on display

sioda wrote: »
    3 on Cruises Street have both on display

Three have run out of stock for the edge emailed yday,pre-orders are safe apparently

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Three have run out of stock for the edge emailed yday,pre-orders are safe apparently

They mustn't have had much stock so, hard to believe theres that many people after them who are out of contract and willing to spend the extra cash for them. Would love to see irish sales figures.

if you order with three are you charged on dispatch or immediately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you order with 3 you are charged from your next bill date. Mine is pre ordered and I have confirmation that I will have delivery on 10th April. Happy days. :)

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If you order with 3 you are charged from your next bill date. Mine is pre ordered and I have confirmation that I will have delivery on 10th April. Happy days. :)

Very good, what about for prepay?

Where did u get the confirmation from? I checked my tracking status and it said "out of stock" I had got the general email on Thursday saying it was out of stock but if I was a pre-order to ignore! I'd better still be getting it on time

I registered my interest in the s6 edge a few weeks ago. Because of this I got to pre order a few days before most people. My wife is the same. We both got an email from three. It said that I would have my new s6 edge delivered on the 10th April. I've been told that they have some phones already but Samsung won't allow any sales before the launch date. The exact same thing happened when I got my s4 two years ago. Delivered to me the morning of the launch.

I registered my interest in the s6 edge a few weeks ago. Because of this I got to pre order a few days before most people. My wife is the same. We both got an email from three. It said that I would have my new s6 edge delivered on the 10th April. I've been told that they have some phones already but Samsung won't allow any sales before the launch date. The exact same thing happened when I got my s4 two years ago. Delivered to me the morning of the launch.
    I did the same got emailed the other day due to registering my interest and pre-ordered got a confirmation just stating that it would be dispatched the advertised date

At the moment your phone is in a three warehouse I'm guessing. The tracking number won't work till it's in transit. I'm betting you get a call from three next week. The long weekend isn't helping.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see opinions on the s6 and edge. Would have gone for the edge myself but the upgrade price was too stiff so got the M9. In any case the bend brigade are at it again :

http://www.cultofandroid.com/72742/samsung-galaxy-s6-edges-bending-problem-is-worse-than-iphones/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I tried the s6, edge and note 4 edge in carphone warehouse. They felt a bit more natural in the hand than the s5, but I'm afraid I still don't get this "premium feel" glass business. The edge was more interesting, but they don't seem to actually use the "edges" for anything, e.g the contacts app doesn't have a big slider down one side for scrolling etc.

The note 4 edge still feels by far the best device "in hand" because it's a bit thicker and heavier, and actually puts the curved edge to some use with the quick access buttons for text, calls etc.

The camera starts quicker but that's a software patch so I still don't see a reason to change from an s5. I'd be tempted by a note 4 but not this.

I tried the s6, edge and note 4 edge in carphone warehouse. They felt a bit more natural in the hand than the s5, but I'm afraid I still don't get this "premium feel" glass business. The edge was more interesting, but they don't seem to actually use the "edges" for anything, e.g the contacts app doesn't have a big slider down one side for scrolling etc.

The note 4 edge still feels by far the best device "in hand" because it's a bit thicker and heavier, and actually puts the curved edge to some use with the quick access buttons for text, calls etc.

The camera starts quicker but that's a software patch so I still don't see a reason to change from an s5. I'd be tempted by a note 4 but not this.

The only thing useful I could see on the edge 6 when I tried it was a quick swipe to bring up contacts on the side. And I think you can set it to display on either side. I wouldn't put my phone face down usually so the light notifications on the edge wouldn't be very useful to me. I think most people agree it's the cool factor of the edge's looks that makes them want to get it over the normal 6. I do wish they used metal for the back though and not glass. I agree the note 4 edge was a lot more substantial in every respect though. I suppose one reason to change from the s5 to the s6 would be the improvement in touch wiz, that is, if you haven't rooted your s5.

Most people due an upgrade would have been an a 2 year contract if they already have a premium smartphone. So most people would be upgrading from an s4 or even an s3. I doubt there will be many s5 owners upgrading.

True enough but likely some headbangers out there like me.......M8 x 2, Note 4, Z3, IP6, M9. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZx1gxeS0I

First impressions from Erica Griffin

Interesting that hers came with some hairline scratches out of the box and it was a retail model from t-mobile.

Also, mentioned over on xda forums. Lots of speculation off the cause and too early to tell if it's only early models affected

http://www.xda-developers.com/is-your-galaxy-s6-edge-pre-scratched/

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

After 2 Samsung phones i really wanted to use my upgrade to switch to the HTC M9 just for something new. But it’s got such poor reviews everywhere, the camera quality and battery seem terrible. I couldn’t justify the switch when it costs as much as an S6 so i took the plunge and ordered the S6 from Three online.

Anyone know about the pre-order availability from three?
    Should the phone get delivered on Friday?

omega666 wrote: »
    After 2 Samsung phones i really wanted to use my upgrade to switch to the HTC M9 just for something new. But it’s got such poor reviews everywhere, the camera quality and battery seem terrible. I couldn’t justify the switch when it costs as much as an S6 so i took the plunge and ordered the S6 from Three online.

Shoulda gone for the M9... S6 is still plastic fantastic & a trimmed down tochwiz doesn't mean a good experience... just means they've removed some of the ****e...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ M9 has heating issues as well. S6 - Better CPU, screen and camera.

Shoulda gone for the M9... S6 is still plastic fantastic & a trimmed down tochwiz doesn't mean a good experience... just means they've removed some of the ****e...

Where's the plastic on the S6? Isnt the front and back Gorilla Glass 4 and the sides aluminium.

• Advertisement

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ M9 has heating issues as well. S6 - Better CPU, screen and camera.

Please clarify the "heating issues..." Are you refering about the hyperbole prior to the launch of the phone, which was later to be discredited... please link to current information.

BTW, Samsungs processor is primed to perform in specific circumstances, such as speed tests, benchmarking etc... so their results are wholly untrustworthy. I have yet to hear a single person complain about the real world usability of an M9...

Also, the QHD display on the Samsung is a battery drain, offers no real world benefits to a HD screen unless you have superhuman vision. Also, the colours are super intensified to make your endorphins react, much like how the tellytubbies works on infants...
    Where's the plastic on the S6? Isnt the front and back Gorilla Glass 4 and the sides aluminium.

Gorilla Glass 4 is acrylic, not glass... Hold the S6 in your hand and you will be able to tell straight away... It feels cheap and lightweight.

Please clarify the "heating issues..." Are you refering about the hyperbole prior to the launch of the phone, which was later to be discredited... please link to current information.

BTW, Samsungs processor is primed to perform in specific circumstances, such as speed tests, benchmarking etc... so their results are wholly untrustworthy. I have yet to hear a single person complain about the real world usability of an M9...

Also, the QHD display on the Samsung is a battery drain, offers no real world benefits to a HD screen unless you have superhuman vision. Also, the colours are super intensified to make your endorphins react, much like how the tellytubbies works on infants...

Gorilla Glass 4 is acrylic, not glass... Hold the S6 in your hand and you will be able to tell straight away... It feels cheap and lightweight.

Na, Gorilla Glass 4 is not acrylic. I've only held a display model in the shop so can't really tell from that. ill tell you what it feel like Friday. I would have thought it was designed to be lightweight. That's a good thing, not a bad thing!

I think that was one of the major disappointments with the M9, they stuck with old screen technology with the battery excuse but then still couldn't outperform phones with much better screens. But it looks like HTC might release an M9+ with a QHD screen.

BTW, Samsungs processor is primed to perform in specific circumstances, such as speed tests, benchmarking etc... so their results are wholly untrustworthy.

This isn't true, Samsung stopped benchmark optimisations on their devices, it's HTC who now have this on their phone, as discussed here;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9137/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-2/5

It's a massive disappointment, was really looking forward to the m9. Hopefully the s6 lives up to its hype.

Alot of users are finding the camera is decent enough on the M9 since the software updates came. This review from Cnet to me, meant the camera was good enough
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/samsung-galaxy-s6-camera-comparison-versus-htc-one-m9-iphone-6/

The battery on the M9 will get better with updates also, as will the S6 camera which is not getting great reviews either.

I personally would have liked the Edge but the price but me off. The S6 just looked too much like my IP6.

According to Corning it's made from molten glass.
    http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/technology/how-its-made

The screen on the S6 I tried (live demo model) did not feel like acrylic to me. Having said that, who knows. Maybe Samsung have added a protective layer (like Sony used do) which might explain the swirl marks/scratches some T-mobile users are experiencing. Then again this has only been reported on the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭innocent_lover

Mr.S wrote: »
    Still trying to find the white 32GB edge for preorder if anyone knows where?! Can only seem to find the 64gb black

Here you go mate http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00TX5POX6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1428524924&sr=8-1&keywords=s6+edge&dpPl=1&dpID=41C%2B7kk8DQL&ref=plSrch

Select black colour in options

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DGM

Making the switch from iPhone and am now just undecided about whether to go for the S5 or the S6. Both look great. With the S5 is currently €530 on pre-pay, obviously I am expecting this to drop once the 6 comes out on Friday so am considering holding off... But does anyone know how long it could take for this to fall in price? Are we talking instantly / weeks / ...months?

DGM wrote: »
    Making the switch from iPhone and am now just undecided about whether to go for the S5 or the S6. Both look great. With the S5 is currently €530 on pre-pay, obviously I am expecting this to drop once the 6 comes out on Friday so am considering holding off... But does anyone know how long it could take for this to fall in price? Are we talking instantly / weeks / ...months?

If I had to guess, I'd say months. €530 is pretty decent for it actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

DGM wrote: »

You can actually get it sim free much cheaper:

http://www.pixmania.ie/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s5-black-smartphone/22082447-a.html

€436.64 on Pixmania + some postage

• Advertisement

coldfire1x wrote: »
    You can actually get it sim free much cheaper:

http://www.pixmania.ie/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s5-black-smartphone/22082447-a.html

€436.64 on Pixmania + some postage

Wow, 16GB but still cheap. The white is even cheaper for whatever reason?!

http://www.pixmania.ie/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s5-white-smartphone/22083417-a.html

Advertisement