Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Species Hunt

Options
  • 28-12-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

With 2015 fast approaching, I was thinking a species hunt for boardies. Lets see how many species boardies can account for during the year.

We'll have to use an honour system as there isn't really a verification process we could go through (?) but it's only for a bit of craic anyway.

Obviously a brief description / location would be good each time you updated your own list but if it was something you really wanted off the bucket list then a photo and good account of the catch would be good also.

What say ye?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Sounds good. I'm a relative newcomer to sea fishing but really loving it. I just fish from the shoreline. In 2014 , I was lucky enough to catch whiting, dogfish, dabs,a bull huss, some ray, a couple of codling a quite a few smooth hounds so it was a good year for me!!
    My aims for 2015 are to catch a bass, cod and a tope!!!
    Will also get back into some freshwater fishing again after many years away.
    Some big trout, pike and a salmon would be sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

My aim is just to find the time to get out.
    Keep buying new gear and havint touched it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

I want some Bass in 2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Thats a great idea. I'm after cod, sting ray, cuckoo wrasse and a tope - basically everything I missed out on in 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Easy to do lads. Just use the ifsa template and have your username from here as your name on the card.
    would it be for salt, fresh or combined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

.red. wrote: »
    Easy to do lads. Just use the ifsa template and have your username from here as your name on the card.
    would it be for salt, fresh or combined?

I was thinking for both. The forum has never done anything like it before I believe (neither have I!) but just thought it would be a bit of craic for us to keep track of the various species for the year ahead. It would be interesting to look back at this time next year.

Do we need a photo and template for this first attempt at it do ye think?

I'll update the OP with the username and their list as the year goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

SeaFields wrote: »
    I was thinking for both. The forum has never done anything like it before I believe (neither have I!) but just thought it would be a bit of craic for us to keep track of the various species for the year ahead. It would be interesting to look back at this time next year.

Do we need a photo and template for this first attempt at it do ye think?

I'll update the OP with the username and their list as the year goes on.

Would saltwater be boat and shore or just shore fishing ?

Snowc wrote: »
    Would saltwater be boat and shore or just shore fishing ?

Both I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Great idea! Id take part defo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Pics of catch would help.

• Advertisement

Has someone got the template and we could edit it and laminate it? Photo alongside the card to keep track

Has someone got the template and we could edit it and laminate it? Photo alongside the card to keep track

How about something like this?

334290.jpg

Perfect!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

We've been using these from the kayaks. Printed and laminated and it lasts the whole year.

3BA6E46EBE8B42C5B9B4288603EF4D16-0000320339-0003542454-00800L-47B4BDE510C54E26B02FBDE2E040812C.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry for sounding thick but how does it work. I have caught a few species this year, I don't take photos so what happens?. Do we just come on here each time and post "codling" etc?

That card looks perfect.
    Sorry for sounding thick but how does it work. I have caught a few species this year, I don't take photos so what happens?. Do we just come on here each time and post "codling" etc?

I suppose you take a photo of it with your card. Maybe we could edit the first post with a list of the people taking part and their species under their name?

I suppose you take a photo of it with your card. Maybe we could edit the first post with a list of the people taking part and their species under their name?

I'll do that no bother.

Was thinking about the card that I put together. It would be very easy to print it off in a pharmacy on one of those photo printers. Download the file to your phone. Not sure if a permanent marker would stay on it afterwards for the username. Maybe just stick your username on the card with Microsoft paint first. Would make it very easy.

Ok, enjoy guys. I don't have a camera when fishing and no means of uploading to boards but I'll watch for your results with interest. We old folks aren't up on all this digital technology. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Im in another species hunt and photographing the fish with both cards is too much hassle and not fair on the fish so i wont be taking part.

If you get the card printed off try to get it laminated. Mine cost €1.50 for an a4 sheet and altho a bit of a rip off its well worth it in the long run. The one sheet will do you for the year as it wont be getting wet.

good luck to everyone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

.red. wrote: »
    Im in another species hunt and photographing the fish with both cards is too much hassle and not fair on the fish so i wont be taking part.

I'm sure no one will mind if you use your other card on here like I'm going to. I've no intention of carrying two cards either so my IKA one will have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Ok, enjoy guys. I don't have a camera when fishing and no means of uploading to boards but I'll watch for your results with interest. We old folks aren't up on all this digital technology. :(
    Mobile phone (camera)?

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Mobile phone (camera)?

ACH, I'm nearly 71. I'm fishing over 60 years and not starting digital photos and uploading of my catch at this stage.

7 species for 2015 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

ACH, I'm nearly 71. I'm fishing over 60 years and not starting digital photos and uploading of my catch at this stage.

What were they S ?

21/25

uch wrote: »
    What were they S ?

Pike Perch Flounder Codling Coalie Bass Whiting

We need you on this one!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Anybody going doing this ?

Snowc wrote: »
    Anybody going doing this ?

Have my card ready to go, only need to find the time to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I just need to find the fish!

Yep. As soon as the evenings get a bit longer I'll be heading out and posting the (hopefully good) results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Going to give it a go too. Less and less time for fishing but should be fun

Advertisement