Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you react to a person wishing genocide on your peoples?

• 28-12-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Let's say a person from work has had a few too many drinks and wants to put Irish Catholics in gas chambers and thinks the only reason we have better education rates is because of English Catholics who emigrated to here.

What would you say in that scenario?

It happened to me and I did nothing as of yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Ignore him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Kill them before they kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    Let's say a person from work has had a few too many drinks and wants to put Irish Catholics in gas chambers and thinks the only reason we have better education rates is because of English Catholics who emigrated to here.

Sign him up to an Phoblacht, pay cash, have it delivered to the workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Stop letting him take up any thinking space in your brain. He's clearly a nincompoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, I wouldn't be speaking to that person again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I don't have any peoples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Say you're C of Irl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I'd tell him to hold that thought while I log onto a message board looking for advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Set your phone to record, get them to 'run your idea by me again" and blackmail him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Id say something highly offensive about his peoples back to him.Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tell him if he treats people as idiots, don't be surprised if they start acting like idiots.

Then fcuk a drink over him or give him a box in the mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd continue the conversation winding him up into a rage then at just the right time, leave and watch him unleash he's rage on any unsuspecting people that went near him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would probably just ignore him and go elsewhere. You can try to debate but pidgeons and chess comes to mind.

If he was trying to annoy me by saying such things I would question what does he plan to do with us non Catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Obviously looking for a reaction. Not giving one would annoy him more. Takes all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Well it's just an empty threat, hyperbole and of course there's zero chance he can commit genocide against us.

But under Israeli rules we must nevertheless kill him, his children, his neighbours' children, demolish his house, and then put up offensive tweets from our official embassy and then quickly take them down again while claiming our account was hacked and threaten to sue everyone. It's the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If he's sincere about that, rat him out to HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

You have a sore point on him OP. He has obviously been rared to think of Irish Catholics are lesser beings. The superior education results of Catholics vs Protestants must be really bothering him. Ram that home OP ram it home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Your missing a vitally important piece of information, is he bigger than you?
    Is your man a local Northerner? If he's not my advice would be to get him hammered and walk him to a bar with a clientel that includes a lot of "community workers", leave him there and he will probably be re-educated out of his bigoted beliefs, you'l be morally fine and he will probably think before running his mouth.
    If he's local you should probably see who he is related too before you do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Well it's just an empty threat, hyperbole and of course there's zero chance he can commit genocide against us.

But under Israeli rules we must nevertheless kill him, his children, his neighbours' children, demolish his house, and then put up offensive tweets from our official embassy and then quickly take them down again while claiming our account was hacked and threaten to sue everyone. It's the only way.
    Ah jaysus not more anti-israeli ****e in another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ah sure you'd have to kill him then bury the body somewhere that it'll be never found. Years later when his relatives beg to know the burial spot so they can get some closure and give him a proper burial, say nothin.

That'll teach the scamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

I was going to replace Israeli with Swedes but it lacked an edge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Give him a hug. Then turn up at his house at random times with cake and offers of more cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Or maybe wind them up and say "Yeh, you actually have a point".
    Id say something highly offensive about his peoples back to him.Problem solved.
    That would be just stooping to their level though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thump him, he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

a person from work ... wants to put Irish Catholics in gas chambers

Kill All Taigs.
    and thinks the only reason we have better education rates is because of English Catholics who emigrated to here.

Sounds like a thick ****er. What age is this drooler?

Thump him, he deserves it.

Its the north he should really really really find out who your man is before he tries to batter him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Its the north he should really really really find out who your man is before he tries to batter him!

He could make it look like an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

qt3.14 wrote: »
    Sign him up to an Phoblacht, pay cash, have it delivered to the workplace.

Is that still sold?

I remember being out in the local town and an old man with a limp would go pub to pub selling it. That was years ago now

And I don't remember seeing it in any shops recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Tell them Santy won't come to them if they keep talking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I would think they were weird if they were serious, but I would assume he didnt honestly think that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

As of yet? Is this going to be one of those "revenge is a dish best served cold" scenarios? He was a p*ssed up d*ckhead with bigoted opinions. What is there to do other than ignore him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

It's the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Just tell them you don't care what he thinks and remind him of the birmnigham bombings before you leave for the night.

Did that in a wee scottish town a few years back, more than once actually. You leave for the night happy and not giving a **** and your man goes home to stew in his anger.

Unless he follows you, then batter him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Personally I would have said something, although that could have made the situation worse. I would have let him know my disapproval and he wanted to continue any further with his comments I would have just ignored him. Just don't associate yourself around him and you should be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

join his religion quickly

metamorphosis into a butterfly

put incendiary under his car

if hes not gay-give him a big hug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Obviously ignore him from now on but if he really holds those opinions and wasn't just trying to wind you up then I would report him to HR and let them deal with it. It's totally inappropriate to make those kind of comments in a work environment, which is what a work night out is considered even though it is technically not during working hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

In my head I'd punch their lights out on the spot. Professionally I would tell them that's too far and bear a horrible grudge against them work wise. I'd probably try and fcuk up their career to be honest. People don't say things like that lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I'd ejaculate into their ear. That's how I party, that's how I roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'd phone in a fake bomb threat the next day. "... codeword: Kerrygold."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Is advocating genocide not illegal these days? Hate speech and so on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

a fcuk I would not give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ask him if he likes having kneecaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

attack them with drones

or waterboard them

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

I love the typical anti-shinner response in that my next events would be paramilitary related. I have no relations to any paramilitaries. This guy was being serious and he's mentioned before he's an unapologetic Loyalist. I've given him no reason to think I'm a Catholic so I don't think he's winding me up rather than him just being a bigot.

He's actually a good friend of mine in work, I guess I should just let him keep his genocidical wishes on my peoples in peace. Ah the stockholm syndrome and downplaying of anti-Irish racism on this boards would only make you laugh sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Kill All Taigs.

Sounds like a thick ****er. What age is this drooler?

28 mate. He shouldn't even be at this job because he failed his training exam twice. Seems our recruitment department was desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I'd take the soup and plenty of it!

Are atheists exempt?

I love the typical anti-shinner response in that my next events would be paramilitary related. I have no relations to any paramilitaries. This guy was being serious and he's mentioned before he's an unapologetic Loyalist. I've given him no reason to think I'm a Catholic so I don't think he's winding me up rather than him just being a bigot.

He's actually a good friend of mine in work, I guess I should just let him keep his genocidical wishes on my peoples in peace. Ah the stockholm syndrome and downplaying of anti-Irish racism on this boards would only make you laugh sure.

Serious question but is it a mixed workplace? From what I've heard (I've not had a "real" job up North) most of the sectarianism you get in work is a lot more coded.
    Also you should blow his mind and tell him Wolfe Tone was a Protestant and that Carson said that 'he had no fear of his Catholic fellow country men but he prefers them educated and highly educated to uneducated"

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

You're the one downplaying it. If you thought it were properly objectionable you'd have taken it up with him there and then, or at least not be referring to him as a "good friend of mine".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

He's actually a good friend of mine in work.

28 mate. He shouldn't even be at this job because he failed his training exam twice. Seems our recruitment department was desperate.

Some friend you are, the two of you sound like you were made for each other.

Oh, and "my peoples", who do you think you are, Kunta O' Kinte? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement