Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got the Playstation TV?

Options
  • 28-12-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the streaming of PS4 is like.
    I'm getting myself a PS4 in a week or so... A little present to myself after a stressful and difficult Christmas, but I'm wondering if the Playstation TV is worth getting as an extra... It would be used 90% of the time to stream the PS4 to the bedroom TV without having to move the console every time I wanted to play in bed.
    So I was wondering if anyone had hands on advice rather than just wading through impersonal tech reviews and scores.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just wondering what the streaming of PS4 is like.
    I'm getting myself a PS4 in a week or so... A little present to myself after a stressful and difficult Christmas, but I'm wondering if the Playstation TV is worth getting as an extra... It would be used 90% of the time to stream the PS4 to the bedroom TV without having to move the console every time I wanted to play in bed.
    So I was wondering if anyone had hands on advice rather than just wading through impersonal tech reviews and scores.

Thanks.

I'd say its more a case of how fast is your Broadband?

There will be milliseconds of lag on something like this but faster the BB the better I would say....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'd say its more a case of how fast is your Broadband?

There will be milliseconds of lag on something like this but faster the BB the better I would say....

Broadband speed has nothing to do with it. PS TV will connect direct to your PS4 wifi connection. Check the signal strength of your ps4 wifi in your bedroom & if it's strong you should be good to go. Don't have the PStv myself but have 2 vitas which use the same tech. My old fat vita will only get a stable connection in the same room as my ps4 & the newer vita slim works all over the house with occasional dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

Has anyone any further updates on the playstation tv? Looking to get it to allow me play ps4 in other rooms in house. Is there much drop in graphics etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Koolhanger wrote: »
    Has anyone any further updates on the playstation tv? Looking to get it to allow me play ps4 in other rooms in house. Is there much drop in graphics etc?

I got a PS4 1tb with pstv free. I set it up using wifi and it was hopeless streaming so I went and got a set of powerline ethernet adapters for €39 in powercity. Set it up again using the ethernet cables and it was excellent.

It will be of limited use for fps shooters as there is a tiny bit of lag but that's enough to cause you to lose 99% of 50/50 shootouts. However I have played Rory McIlroy pga (online and off), Far Cry 4 (story mode) and a few other games with absolutely no issue and no lag issues either. Netflix and Tv from Sky also worked well.

It displays in 720 only but can be used with ps3 controller and ps3 bluetooth headset so you dont have to go buying another ps4 one for it.

It supposedly is like a psvita in operating system when not linked to ps4 but I have never used one and will 99.9% of the time only be using the pstv to link to the ps4 which is in the other side of the house.

In short, use it with ethernet for best results. It will improve as time goes on with updates and such but even now it is a very worthwhile gadget to have (especially when free with certain ps4 bundles) and if you were a fan of vita or past ps games then you can get them on the psn store as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I agree for the most part, any game that requires split second decisions is not great for streaming. I was playing Olli Olli and couldn't get any use out of it.

Interested to see people got netflix to work though? I couldn't when I tried and it was definitely something I had wanted

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    I agree for the most part, any game that requires split second decisions is not great for streaming. I was playing Olli Olli and couldn't get any use out of it.

Interested to see people got netflix to work though? I couldn't when I tried and it was definitely something I had wanted

My netflix was streamed through the ps4link. As in I was watching netflix on the ps4 instead of watching netflix on an app on the pstv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

_DMac_ wrote: »
    My netflix was streamed through the ps4link. As in I was watching netflix on the ps4 instead of watching netflix on an app on the pstv

Must try this again later! There may be questions later :)

RedXIV wrote: »
    Must try this again later! There may be questions later :)

ha ha no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Dmac ... Could you explain the Ethernet adapters for a dummy and how I'd set them up if I was to pick them up please

Dmac ... Could you explain the Ethernet adapters for a dummy and how I'd set them up if I was to pick them up please

no problem. they are basically 2 plugs that you stick into your electrical sockets. they have an ethernet connection for an ethernet wire in both of them. one is connected to your router and the second is plugged into the wall in whatever room your computer is in and that plug is connected to your computer/ps4/pstv ec via ethernet cable as well. what happens then is the plugs use the electric cables in the house to send to send data between each other. its like having a direct ethernet cable from you router into whatever room you want.

not a great explanation but hopefully you get the drift of it.

i'll take a few pics later if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This is basically it. You don't have to bother with the WiFi range extender versions making them cheaper and simpler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y9_WWATNuk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Thanks for the info guys.... Now an extra stupid question, I assume if I was to buy the following, I'd need to get 2? One for near my router and another for the room I want to Ethernet connect my devices in?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-27-318968

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Thanks for the info guys.... Now an extra stupid question, I assume if I was to buy the following, I'd need to get 2? One for near my router and another for the room I want to Ethernet connect my devices in?

I happened to browse some of those in Power City(Tallaght) a week ago - be careful, some only have one adaptor.
    You do need two.

Have a browse, you should get what you need - could have swore they were cheaper though.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-27-4031763&brands=TPLINK

they are the ones i got. simple to set up and working perfectly. abd both are plugged into extension leads as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

_DMac_ wrote: »
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-27-4031763&brands=TPLINK

they are the ones i got. simple to set up and working perfectly. abd both are plugged into extension leads as well

These are £24.98 on Amazon and with the conversion for Irish VAT, will be eligible for free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

And you can gets ones with more RJ45 ports on Amazon for the price of the single port versions on PowerCity. I have the three port versions with a PS4, PS3 and Xbox One all connected in at one end. Saves on plug space and then you can get pass through versions so you don't end up losing a plug socket by using them.

You can get this TP Link powerline adapter from Eircom for €29
    http://www.eircom.net/accessories/homeplugs/homeplugs/plug2/

If you are not an Eicom customer you might be able to get it in an eMobile store.

Technical details
    http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA281KIT.html

You might not need powerline adapters at all if your PS4 is connected by Ethernet to your network.
    My recommendation is to get the pstv first & test it with your existing setup (only if your ps4 is hard wired)
    I will be picking up a PStv myself this week & plan using it on wifi first & will run a new Ethernet cable up to it if necessary but don't think I will need to as my vitas work fine on wifi.

I got one today & have it connected by wifi. PS4 remote play is working fine but my PS4 is hard wired to router.
    I can also confirm that Netflix & Sky Go do not work on PSTV via remote play as previously mentioned.
    The PS4 Network media player does work, so that's a plus as the vitas native network media player does not play many formats.

Advertisement