Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Dublin accident.

• 28-12-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭

A cyclist has been rushed to hospital with injuries described as ‘life-threatening’ after an incident on the old Dublin-Belfast road in North Dublin.

It is believed a car and two cyclists were involved in a crash at Blake’s Cross, which is between the exits for Lusk and Donabate on the road.

The second cyclist’s injuries are not thought to be serious, and both men are being treated in Dublin’s Beaumont Hospital.

advertisement
    Gardai say diversions are in place at the scene.

Gardai have also warned motorists to be especially careful on the roads today as icy conditions and fog in many places are making conditions extremely dangerous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Hope they make a full and speedy recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hope all will be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah. Fingers crossed all will be well and it's not as bad as they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What type of road is it? A motorway/dual carriageway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

It's a busy junction situated on a bend on the old Dublin - Drogheda Road

Fingers crossed for the injured riders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a standard two way traffic road. It's the old N1. The junction at Blake's Cross has had its fair share of incidents.

Hopefully everyone involved makes a full and quick recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's dual carriageway south of Blakes cross, from immediately south of the Turvey avenue junction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's dual carriageway south of Blakes cross, from immediately south of the Turvey avenue junction

Does anyone know if it happened where the chuck wagon used to be i.e where the road begins to narrow as you head towards Esso?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

[PHP][/PHP]
    billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it happened where the chuck wagon used to be i.e where the road begins to narrow as you head towards Esso?
    Its my guess thats where it happened - heading North from what I can gather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Horrific stuff, hopefully the cyclist recovers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

6pm Nova news was not good, the 2nd cyclist is ok but says the first cyclist has passed away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Was drivinng to skerries earlier and saw the road was closed.

Tragic news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

bcmf wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]
    Its my guess thats where it happened - heading North from what I can gather.

Its always hairy cycling along their as vehicles can come up close to you. Hopefully they both recover fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

not yet wrote: »
    6pm Nova news was not good, the 2nd cyclist is ok but says the first cyclist has passed away.

Tragic stuff. My thoughts are with his/her family.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

not yet wrote: »
    Absolutely tragic news. Was driving past that spot probably less than 10 mins before this happened, but the road was still closed 4 hours later, so I had been fearing the worst

RIP

Can I just re-iterate for everyone's benefit - I've seen one or two comments elswhere implying what may have happened here. It's not for us to speculate though - please leave it to the relevant authorities to determine the cause

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

I passed by the accident minutes after it happened.

It happened heading southbound, nearer the Great Gas end of the stretch between it and Blake's X - just where the road rises before it drops down into the dip at GG. At that point the road has 2 lanes on the southbound side and one on the northbound, with no hard shoulder on the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Makes you realise how fragile we are on a bike, regardless of blame or fault in any accident we always come off worse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Rip
    My condolences to your family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

This is truly tragic. My condolences to the family.I had an extremely close call today with a motorist and this has all left me pondering my safety on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

****ing awful! Rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I cycle that section on an almost daily basis between commuting and leisure cycling. It really brings it home when you hear of stuff like this. I've had my share of close shaves there.

Thoughts and prayers with the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Truly awful news. So sad. Makes you realize how vulnerable we all ARE on the road. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Any names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Deeply deeply saddening.
    Was hit by a car there last year and only know too well it could have ended up totally different.

RIP on the poor soul and condolences to the immediate family.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tunney wrote: »
    Any names?
    Only seen the one report of a fatality at this stage, with most news organisations and the Garda website still stating critically injured. Know one or two guys who went past shortly afterwards and have some background but cannot post anything here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Very sad news to hear.
    My condolences to their family.
    RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

terrible news R.I.P.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

I still haven't seen any confirmation that the poor man who was critically injured passed away. Both the journal and the indo stories haven't been updated. Has anyone got a link to this info?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

FM104 said just now the cyclist is still critical.
    Hoping he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

That road and in particular that exit (if I'm thinking of the right place) is absolutely lethal. Wouldn't go near it if I had any choice. At best highly unpleasant at worst (as this shows) very dangerous. My thoughts with the injured cyclists and hope they recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I cycle that section on an almost daily basis between commuting and leisure cycling. It really brings it home when you hear of stuff like this. I've had my share of close shaves there.

Me too, the left lane should be converted back to a hard shoulder until they can improve safety for cyclists, converting the hard shoulder to a lane made sense before the M1 was built. If you live in Balbriggan, Skerries, Lusk or Rush and commute to the city, this is the only route if your heading further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭jdburkedjburke

Very sad news

If anyone has any info as to what may have happened here please contact Swords Garda Station and do not post details here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

I can'tell see any confirmation of a fatality in the North County. On twitter there are reports of a Dublin (calafornia ) cyclist being killed in an in in incident in San Ramon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Can't understand why anyone would cycle in icy conditions. Its bad enough driving in weather like that but cycling on a busy icy road is asking for trouble. I was walking on a path yesterday and it was lethal.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Can't understand why anyone would cycle in icy conditions. Its bad enough driving in weather like that but cycling on a busy icy road is asking for trouble. I was walking on a path yesterday and it was lethal.
    You are making an assumption that ice was a factor here. I do actually have a pretty good idea of the conditions on that road at that time as I was driving along it a few minutes before the accident. However I am certainly not going to mention them here as that may start further speculation over cause (and I've already deleted a number of posts venturing into the realms of speculation). No-one here is in a position to detremine that - it is something for the relevant authorities to determine, and certainly not some anonymous poster (be it you, me or anyone else) on Boards

If you wish to discuss icy road conditions we have a separate thread started only yesterday on the topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Weather dependant would it benefit the family if a number of cyclists turned up to a guard or honour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

bcmf wrote: »
    Deeply deeply saddening.
    Was hit by a car there last year and only know too well it could have ended up totally different.

We really suffer from the lack of an effective lobby group for cyclists nationwide. If there are spots where there is a history of cyclists being injured, questions should be asked of the relevant minister in the Dail - e.g. stats on accidents and what are the plans to make these spots safer for cyclists. This really puts on prospers sure and raises awareness down the administrative line of responsibility.
    Individuals can also do it through their local TDs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

eh i dunno wrote: »

I was out the same day and time and their was no ice

• Advertisement

LennoxR wrote: »
    That road and in particular that exit (if I'm thinking of the right place) is absolutely lethal...
    It didn't happen at the exit (but it is dangerous there).
    Me too, the left lane should be converted back to a hard shoulder until they can improve safety for cyclists, converting the hard shoulder to a lane made sense before the M1 was built.....
    I think the second lane was added to take the pressure off traffic exiting from the R127 (from Lusk) ie. a sort of slip lane. Prior to that, Blake's Cross was a standard T-junction where traffic coming from Lusk had to wait for a gap before exiting which caused long tailbacks especially in the early mornings.

Perhaps it would be safer to put a roundabout there. Another option would be to redesign the junction so that traffic heading to/from Lusk maintains right of way and make traffic going to/from further north of Blake's Cross wait/yield as most traffic seems to be heading to/from Lusk/Rush/Skerries anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Dreadful news, cycling around these parts (NCD, like others) is nerve wrecking. Your just hoping cars will avoid you. Good advice earlier on bike lights, I would add high viz also. Forget the image factor. My thoughts go out to the riders, family and friends.

Hi Ho wrote: »
    ...history of cyclists being injured, questions should be asked of the relevant minister in the Dail - e.g. stats on accidents and what are the plans to make these spots safer for cyclists. This really puts on prospers sure and raises awareness down the administrative line of responsibility.
    Individuals can also do it through their local TDs etc.

Would the guy on the right be any use? It's great to have a genuine cyclist leading the country. How that has improved cycling, well you will need to tell me.

160611_enda_kenny_bike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It didn't happen at the exit (but it is dangerous there).

I think the second lane was added to take the pressure off traffic exiting from the R127 (from Lusk) ie. a sort of slip lane. Prior to that, Blake's Cross was a standard T-junction where traffic coming from Lusk had to wait for a gap before exiting which caused long tailbacks especially in the early mornings.

Perhaps it would be safer to put a roundabout there. Another option would be to redesign the junction so that traffic heading to/from Lusk maintains right of way and make traffic going to/from further north of Blake's Cross wait/yield as most traffic seems to be heading to/from Lusk/Rush/Skerries anyway.

This is a sensible change, I'd also be in favour of moving the lanes 4 feet west to allow a hard shoulder southbound, there's no need for the northbound lane to be so wide from Turvey avenue to Blakes Cross.This would at least allow cyclists some escape room left of the road in this section.

The only downside of making the Lusk direction priority would make it almost impossible to travel south on the r132 in the evening rush hour, maybe lights would be needed.

Aside from the cycling issue, there is the issue of an industrial zone at Blakes cross seperated from the nearest shop by the r132, with pedestrians trying to cross the road, with no safe way to do so.
    The you have people trying to get from Turvey industrial estate to the bus stop where the Chuck Wagon was.
    I'd be fairly certain that road safety was't the first thing in the council's mind when they evicted the Chuck wagon, despite it being the ostensible reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Lambretta

Very sad news. Regardless of responsibility / blame in accidents, there are far too many cycling casualties and devastated families in suffering each year in Ireland. As said earlier in this thread - unfortunately the cyclist always comes out the worst.

Maybe it's time for a serious cycling lobby, it appears in this country if we want action we need to make our voices heard loud and clear. If we want a healthier, lower emission producing, sustainable, cycle friendly City - then we need the safety and infrastructure to enact it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

awful news. I imagine there are boardsies who know the people involved, if not were on the spin themselves. Condolences to all if the bad news is confirmed.

I cycle this route fairly regularly - can anyone show a photo of the accident site?

I was cycling along that stretch this afternoon and conditions were similar to Sunday - wet road, low glaring sun etc. To say I was super-alert would be an understatement. Felt incredibly vulnerable even though I've cycled it thousands of times. And unusually for me, I hugged the extreme left side of the road.

Advertisement