Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Cleaning

Options
  • 28-12-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Is WD40 ok to use on a shotgun??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Padc wrote: »
    I find it a bit thin so i use 3and1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Depends what you want to use it for. If its to clean the inside of the barrels for example work away, patch it dry after and use a skim of proper gun oil to store away in your cabinet after. If it's to clean and lubricate any moving parts I'd use a proper gun oil or other quality fine machine oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Some lads use it to remove plastic fouling etc.

As Meathstevie said as long as you remove it there's no issue but there are better products out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't waste your money. For the same or less you can buy a proper gun oil.

Never skimp when it comes to cleaning. I've seen lads with shotguns worth thousands and all they have is a bore snake to clean it with.

I clean mine as thoroughly as my rifles. I have carbon remover, proper (viscous) oil, some spray oil, and at one time a plastic remover designed for shotgun cleaning. I have a proper one piece shotgun rod, with brass/mop/jag/patch attachments. I then finish off with a good clean on the outside and some copper grease for the chokes.

Seriously lad do not skimp on the cleaning products. It'll be the life of the gun if you keep her right, and use the right gear.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Padc wrote: »

Depends on what you want to do.

What the lads have said above is spot on. Basically, WD40 is a penetrant, not a lubricant. However, if you're just cleaning out barrels, WD40 should not be a problem.

Even just a wipe on a barrel - no problem. Never had an issue with discoloration.

Just remember that if you use spray a lot of it around the trigger area, you will remove the good grease from the lube points that need to be there. Without a coat of a proper lubricant, parts will rust.

Mods - ever consider having a WD40 sticky? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Padc

Its more to displace dirt from areas ya can't get at easily. I have gun grease and a good silicone based cleaner for the barrels. I used Linseed oil on the timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I wouldn't let wd40 near any part of my guns, it will attract more dirt than it dispels.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

A decent bore cleaner with a soft shotgun brush, bronze or plastic, works for me to loosen carbon and plastic. Push from breach to muzzle several times.

Then get a shotgun bore mop of the proper gauge. Put a shotgun patch over it with some cleaner on the patch, push from breach to muzzle. Repeat as necessary with new patches if needed to get out the crud.

Then use a fresh dry patch over the mop to get out the bore cleaner. When the bore is clean, you can clean the mop with a towel. Then a fresh patch with some oil protectant over the mop and push through once or twice to protect the bore. Dry the mop off with towel. Worked well for me for years of shooting lots of skeet.

Advertisement