Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about dog

• 28-12-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hi API peeps! Hope you and your furry friends had a lovely Christmas.

My eldest dog (10 year old Cane Corso cross - approx 30 kg bitch) seems ill.
    I'll take her to the vet tomorrow, but wondering if anyone has any advice this evening.

Last night, she ran off and I suspect ate something at a neighbours that didn't agree with her, she had 2-3 instances of diarrhoea overnight- she's normally very clean. Since then, she has been very listless with no appetite or thirst, but has had no further loss of bowel control, but what is worrying me is that when she does get up, she is clearly struggling to stand, her back legs are shaky and weak and she has to be encouraged to get out of her bed. Once up and moving, her legs seem fine and she goes and does her business, although when she does go, it is watery.

I've got some boiled rice for her this evening to settle her tummy, but wondering if you think the leg thing is related to the tummy upset, or a separate issue? I want to be as informed as I can be in going to the vet. She had been favouring a front paw over Christmas, but I could find nothing wrong with it, and it had seemed better as of yesterday.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

I'd bring her to emergency vet tonight if she's as bad as you say, that's pretty serious...

Could have eaten literally anything. Bring her to the vet and try stop her from legging it off in the future.

Hope it goes well, report back when you know what it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

braddun wrote: »

what has eating grass got to do with it?! :confused: My dogs eat grass all the the time and it doesn't make them sick or wobbly on their feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I have two dogs and they both chew grass occasionally, and with no ill effects. I am confident that it's not anything to do with grass.

Thankfully she has had a couple of drinks in the meantime so I'm less worried about dehydration, and got up of her own accord to sniff at her food (but didn't eat it) and even gave me a nice long wag so is feeling a bit more herself over the last hour or so.

While I wouldn't be able to take her to an emergency vet tonight (I'm not allowed to drive due to pregnancy complications) I can and would call one if needed. Given that she has rallied a bit, I'll hold off for now but keep a close eye on her. I've seen her with plenty tummy upsets over the years, but never seen her with the weak back legs so was wondering if they could be related or should be considered separately. Can't help but be aware that she's not a pup anymore and you regularly hear about hip problems in bigger dogs, but I've no idea how that presents itself :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

tk123 wrote: »
    what has eating grass got to do with it?! :confused: My dogs eat grass all the the time and it doesn't make them sick or wobbly on their feet
    Well one look on the website link should tell you enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Quick update: turned out to be all belly related! She's back to her usual energy levels with no shaking or wobbling on standing - a slight wobble getting up on occasion but nothing the vet is concerned about. Her appetite is back, but we're keeping her on rice for today and she's drinking well.

Thanks for your help :)

Advertisement