Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

town with best nightlife

Options
  • 28-12-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Planning weekend for friends bday in Donegal hoping to go further than letterkenny, looking at gweedore,glenties,buncrana,adara or arranmore islands.
    Which these towns be the liveliest best craic?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Of the ones you mention, Buncrana would be the liveliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

without a doubt lstterkenny. sumtin om every night and a good srlection of things to do where to go out etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

While I agree, the OP said they didn't want to go to Letterkenny.

I'd advise Buncrana.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sharpey85

letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

ac10 wrote: »
    hoping to go further than letterkenny, looking at gweedore,glenties,buncrana,adara or arranmore islands.
    Which these towns be the liveliest best craic?
    ferrete wrote: »
    without a doubt lstterkenny.
    sharpey85 wrote: »
    letterkenny
    While I agree, the OP said they didn't want to go to Letterkenny.

I'd advise Buncrana.

What Paul said ^^^

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Feck all in glenties anyway, Ardara can be great craic but you would need to check if there's something on. Loads of different festivals held there during the year.

Heading there tonight myself for the annual 'Poor Farmers Auction' charity night.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pub-goes-wild-for-charity-auction-28953121.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

shuffle65 wrote: »
    Feck all in glenties anyway, Ardara can be great craic but you would need to check if there's something on. Loads of different festivals held there during the year.

Heading there tonight myself for the annual 'Poor Farmers Auction' charity night.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pub-goes-wild-for-charity-auction-28953121.html

Is the Limelight still not going?

:D

Otherwise I would say Buncrana out of the ones mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭princess3901

I live in Ardara, nightlife really isn't much good. Glenties is like a ghost town. Donegal Town can be quite good or Buncrana.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is the Limelight still not going?

:D

The SLimelight closed some time ago...

I live in Ardara, nightlife really isn't much good. Glenties is like a ghost town. Donegal Town can be quite good or Buncrana.

Quite a few good bars in Donegal Town. Good Trad music in the Reel Inn, bands in The Reveller (formally The Voyage), does McGroatys (cant remember new name) still do music? Best pint of Guinness in The Castle, plus loads of other bars varying from old fashioned decour, to the most modern. Abbey Bar usally running till 3am at weekends, with Sky Nite Club for the young uns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Quite a few good bars in Donegal Town. Good Trad music in the Reel Inn, bands in The Reveller (formally The Voyage), does McGroatys (cant remember new name) still do music? Best pint of Guinness in The Castle, plus loads of other bars varying from old fashioned decour, to the most modern. Abbey Bar usally running till 3am at weekends, with Sky Nite Club for the young uns.
    Mcgroartys-odonnells
    And best Guinness in the forge, which is a great spot on a Friday. In fairness castle, mccaffertys, reel inn and coach (only been in once since it reopened) all do good pints of it too

Out the back of odonnells then sky if your still teeny boppers lads!!

overshoot wrote: »
    Mcgroartys-odonnells
    And best Guinness in the forge, which is a great spot on a Friday. In fairness castle, mccaffertys, reel inn and coach (only been in once since it reopened) all do good pints of it too

Out the back of odonnells then sky if your still teeny boppers lads!!

Not bad in the Forge tbh, very slightly off the track though. I miss Zacks though, was down the back of where the Euro Store, and the Manhatten are now.

Is mccaffertys on the Corner across from The Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Not bad in the Forge tbh, very slightly off the track though. I miss Zacks though, was down the back of where the Euro Store, and the Manhatten are now.

Zacks is before my time!
    Started in schooners!

Yep that's mccaffertys... And the forge is fine where it is... Odds of leaving it early are slim!... Plus its a head start on the walk home for me!

overshoot wrote: »
    Zacks is before my time!
    Started in schooners!

Yep that's mccaffertys... And the forge is fine where it is... Odds of leaving it early are slim!... Plus its a head start on the walk home for me!

I drank in the Schooners the odd time around 98 into the early 00's. Zacks and other names was going around 99-01 i think, then head over to Neros.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Heh, Zack's was good. He's a busy Irish foodie type now.

After Zack's, there was i:Vibes, Baby Joes and Celtic Bar (I think yer man had called it something else initially before renaming it the Celtic Bar) which was the last IIRC. Was a good spot with a saunter over to Nero's/Club N, with Joe at the door and the sticky carpets... ah good times! :D

Anyone old enough to remember before Zack's when it was the Manhattan bar, with Wee Gerry's music shop where Euro Giant is? I vaguely remember there being a tshirt printing thing out the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

byte wrote: »

After Zack's, there was i:Vibes, Baby Joes and Celtic Bar (I think yer man had called it something else initially before renaming it the Celtic Bar) which was the last IIRC. Was a good spot with a saunter over to Nero's/Club N, with Joe at the door and the sticky carpets... ah good times! :D

Anyone old enough to remember before Zack's when it was the Manhattan bar, with Wee Gerry's music shop where Euro Giant is? I vaguely remember there being a tshirt printing thing out the back.

It was Chancers Bar at one stage too.

U2 played in the Manhattan in 1979 when they were named Feedback.

byte wrote: »

I think I may have even got in AFTER leaving Neros one night!!

I remember it was called one or two different things after Zacks, although dont recall any of them, baby joes is the only one ringing a bell. Knew nothing though about the guy who ran the place.

Just loved the crowd and the vibe, and that he had some awesome trubute bands including The Great Pretender (queen), and The Quarry Men (the beatles), possibly a U2 trubute as well.

Advertisement