Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double

Options
  • 28-12-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Hi at 6.17 PM. .I was looking up into the sky and I saw two "star sized " lights passing over head (wicklow) one behind the other perhaps an 'inch 'apart as you look up..The seemed to drift slowly northwards towards the plough.. flared a little then disappeared into the haze..any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ISS ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Stuxnet wrote: »
    ISS ..?

Hi..I'm not sure if it could have been iss .I've seen iss and as far as I know it travels low and west to south this time of year..This was almost overhead and south to north..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

Iridium Flare.

youtube.(dot)com/watch?v=x1qkmrTIAKk

Just double checked Stellarium. At about 6:13 2 sattelites past very low to the horizon together in the East.
    Then at about 6:20pm 2 sattelites past again from North to South by the plough.

Cosmos 1544 & Cosmos 1867

ngcxt6 wrote: »
    Just double checked Stellarium. At about 6:13 2 sattelites past very low to the horizon together in the East.
    Then at about 6:20pm 2 sattelites past again from North to South by the plough.

Cosmos 1544 & Cosmos 1867

Thanks ..that sounds like them alright at 6.20
    But can you check again..
    The ones I saw went from south to north towards the plow.

• Advertisement

Checked a different source and it showed 1 going from south to north. Really not sure tbh. You can google iridium flare maps and try set it to your time. I'm not sure how accurate the first program I used is.

ngcxt6 wrote: »
    Checked a different source and it showed 1 going from south to north. Really not sure tbh. You can google iridium flare maps and try set it to your time. I'm not sure how accurate the first program I used is.

Cheers ngcxt6; I'm thinking you have cracked it..I feel really privileged to have seen them now.

Maudi wrote: »
    Cheers ngcxt6; I'm thinking you have cracked it..I feel really privileged to have seen them now.

If you google "iridium flare heavens above" and find the right link (cant link new account) you will see a small list of when you should be able to see the next ones. Usually you can see several a week.

These ones should be visible from wicklow if you want to try observe them

date time
    Dec 31, 18:04:14 0.2 53° 45° (NE) Iridium 10 44 km (E) -8.3 -15°
    Jan 1, 05:52:32 -1.8 21° 180° (S) Iridium 53 23 km (W) -6.8 -23°
    Jan 1, 05:50:13 0.4 10° 34° (NE) Iridium 39 223 km (E) -5.8 -24°
    Jan 1, 05:59:41 -0.8 12° 38° (NE) Iridium 80 138 km (E) -6.0 -22°

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

I think I saw these 2 satellites on 14th november--here's my thread from then
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057327068

I think I saw these 2 satellites on 14th november--here's my thread from then
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057327068

Sounds like the same ones..I've seen my fair share of satellites/space junk and ive seen iss lots of times..These were different as they were so bright..The lead one brighter..and relatively slow..i even had seconds to call my wife and for her to rush out and see them dissappear into the horizon towards the plough..im not sure of the correct way to reference the distance apart but in lay man's terms looking at the sky as a whole I'd say an inch and a half apart..One directly behind the other..glad some one else saw them but surprised more haven't. .

• Advertisement
Advertisement