Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYE 2009

Options
  • 28-12-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

So....... It just crossed my mind that with the signs of possible snowfall in the future, that we are coming up to the 6th anniversary of the heavy snow some of us in Dublin saw on new years eve into new years day back in 2009.

After a bit if a lull with the snow for a while it was unexpected, a nice surprise. I was not out for the nye celebrations that year, but I had friends and family who had to walk home in it as there was no taxis or public transport and there was stories of snowball fights etc. Anyone else have memories from that night ?

So, with the wintery signs there (my road is an ice skating rink tonight ) how mad or great would it be, if the white stuff was to fall on new years eve? [Fingers crossed ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Weather map for New Years Night in 2009/2010 shows a NE airflow, so likely any snow fell from steady stream of showers as the world entered the new year.

332989.png

If I remember correctly, it was very windy and wild the night before with strong easterly winds.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Weird night.
    Walking into the bar and it was just another cold night. Then went outside after about 2 hours and the street was covered white.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Aye. The first installment of 2010 snow. Who would have believed it'd last for a few weeks and who'd have believed 10 calendar months later it'd be put in the shade by even greater epicness. There was a frontal battleground scenario before Christmas too IIRC. We ended up on the wrong/warm side but it would have been epic. Torrential rain for 48 hours straight. If it had fallen as snow we'd have been taking '82 amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I remember it as if it was 5 years ago and not 6 :)

Was a nice set up, under cutting low if i remember correctly?
    Twas cold that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Calibos wrote: »
    Aye. The first installment of 2010 snow. Who would have believed it'd last for a few weeks and who'd have believed 10 calendar months later it'd be put in the shade by even greater epicness. There was a frontal battleground scenario before Christmas too IIRC. We ended up on the wrong/warm side but it would have been epic. Torrential rain for 48 hours straight. If it had fallen as snow we'd have been taking '82 amounts.

We had a white Christmas in Donegal in 09, the first snow was a from a strong northerly around the 19th or 20th which slowly thawed over the course of the week before a fresh fall on Christmas Day.

Can't recall snow on New Years night here, would have mainly affected the east coast I'd think looking at the chart above. The 09/10 cold spell was mainly dry up here after the pre Christmas snow, some light flurries but never any more than a few cm's accumulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I have footage of that actually. Excuse my horrible language, it was a particularly poor display of taxi driving ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXhUC7qCa8

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Totally remember that night. Myself and the missus were celebrating our first NYE as a married couple and stayed in having a few drinks.

My brother and his girlfriend were in a local pub and around 11:30 we were toying with the idea of running down to join them for midnight. They told us they were going to wait until midnight and then leave, so we decided to stay put.

The snow started falling I think around 23:50. At first just a few flakes, but by midnight it had become a proper drop. We stood out on our north balcony (220m ASL) freezing cold, but drinking champagne, watching the snowfall and the fireworks go off all over Dublin.

I'd be surprised if anyone in Dublin sees timing of the same perfection again in their lifetimes.

Rang my brother again around 1am and they'd been stuck on the N81 outbound just after Spawell for about 30 minutes. As the snow fell, all the RWD taxis started getting stuck on the slope up to the M50 interchange and in the their attempts to get past each other, blocked up the entire road.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Was mental weather the nights leading up to it as our wee fella was born October and we were trying to get out the car and into the house, we were getting blown away with the wind and was pissing im sure, following night was a different story, went out for a smoke and noticed it was snowing slightly and hour later it was a white out

If I remember correctly, it was very windy and wild the night before with strong easterly winds.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement