Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Oil Boiler Clean

• 28-12-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭

Now that I have your attention, and before I get run out of the plumbing and heating forum, I am aware that DIY servicing of an oil boiler is a no no.

What I am wondering is if there is a benefit to simply cleaning the soot from my boiler as a sort of maintenance/preventive measure. I'm a competent diy-er but prior to this I rented a house with a gas boiler, and services were included. Now I own my own house, and Luke to be proactive about stuff like this.

I understand that it would not take the place of a full service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

cletus wrote: »
    Now that I have your attention, and before I get run out of the plumbing and heating forum, I am aware that DIY servicing of an oil boiler is a no no.

What I am wondering is if there is a benefit to simply cleaning the soot from my boiler as a sort of maintenance/preventive measure. I'm a competent diy-er but prior to this I rented a house with a gas boiler, and services were included. Now I own my own house, and Luke to be proactive about stuff like this.

Unless the boiler and burner is been serviced its pointless.
    If the boilers very dirty it's not burning properly and needs to be serviced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Unless the boiler and burner is been serviced its pointless.
    If the boilers very dirty it's not burning properly and needs to be serviced.

Just to clarify, this would not be instead of a service. The boiler is only a year old, and will be due a service shortly anyway. I was talking in terms of an interim clean, maybe at the 6 month mark. I have no idea if its dirty or not as I haven't gone near it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Hopefully we now have your attention.

IF YOUR BOILER IS PRODUCING SOOT THEN IT IS A SERIOUS RISK TO LIFE AND NEEDS A PROFESSIONAL TO CORRECT IT.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The short answer is NO, if it is dirty after 6 months of running, it hasn't been serviced or setup correctly (and there should not be soot, as this is incomplete combustion)

Best to get it properly serviced and setup, then yearly from then on, there should be no reason to do anything in the interim periods if its burning correctly. Even by removing covers and burners to clean out, it's very easy to damage or not reseat seals etc, correctly and this can lead to incorrect burning (due to recycling of flue gases leaking out) or worse allow flue gasses into a household and cause CO poisoning.

No one will run you out of here for asking sensible questions, looking for good reliable advice.

Oh, and by the way, if you follow the link above to cleaning your boiler, well, lets take the 'hand full of rust' picture, well, thats mostly 'clink' as its known, and also fuel residues, possible with a small amount of cadmiums, and chromiums and other carcenogens (yes, that's cancer causing) elements that you really don't wish to handle!

Then the other picks, the gasket where the burner he just pulled out is, looks knackered and would certainly need replacing, also, there was no need to remove the flue (and this would have to be resealed with either fire cement or high tempo silicone) as the boilers have access doors (again with gaskets) for access for cleaning.

It should be askmedleyhowtokillyouselfbyfollowingsomeidiotontheinternet.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Z7qf6wv.jpg

cletus.gif

Apt username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

braddun wrote: »

TOTAL RUBBISH AND A DANGER TO THOSE WHO WOULD FOLLOW THESE STEPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

braddun wrote: »

Thus is the most dangerious imformation I have seen.

No infirmation in what proper combustion is and HIGH risks of carbon monoxide if not running correctly.

Boiler should stay clean between yearly servicing if done correctly.

@dgobs, thanks for the post, very helpful

@mech1, there's no need to be a dick.

So general consensus is there is no benefit to the above, and very likely a detrimental effect

scudo2 wrote: »
    Thus is the most dangerious imformation I have seen.

No infirmation in what proper combustion is and HIGH risks of carbon monoxide if not running correctly.

Boiler should stay clean between yearly servicing if done correctly.

As I said earlier,I have not had an oil boiler before, so wasn't sure whether regular cleaning, filter changing etc was something that could or should be added to the general household duties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Just to clarify, this would not be instead of a service. The boiler is only a year old, and will be due a service shortly anyway. I was talking in terms of an interim clean, maybe at the 6 month mark. I have no idea if its dirty or not as I haven't gone near it yet
    Your boiler is one year old,if the boiler was commissioned correctly there wont be any soot in the boiler.there is no advantage in doing an interim service.What you can do is ensure that when you get it serviced is that the technician services it correctly and uses a flue gas analyser to set the boiler as per mi

The othar side of the coin is:

I have one or two old boy customers, who "HAVE" to clean their own boiler, "GOD and Country" couldn't stop them.

I've been professionaly servicing boilers for over 20 years, The've been doing their own boiler for nearly 50 years, see the problem ?
    They orignaly only called me because they were broken down and stuck.

Now were the best of friends, they still have to open it up and have a look, but now with my guidence they know what to look for, as in dirt and bad gasketts. AND they now know what a professional service is with a flue gas analizer is.
    And they do call me reguraly for a service. Espically if they notice something wrong which they weren't aware of before.

It's the DIY'ers who dont know that worries me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sometime when return customers watch me service, they remark that it doesn't look like it needed servicing. I reply, that it looks like that because it is properly serviced regularly and has been burning oil efficiently since last service. That way a good service saves money.
    If there is any great amount of deposits on the boiler, I will want to know what has caused it and prevent it from happening again. All good service people will work to achieve those same results.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

Wearb wrote: »
    Sometime when return customers watch me service, they remark that it doesn't look like it needed servicing. I reply, that it looks like that because it is properly serviced regularly and has been burning oil efficiently since last service. That way a good service saves money.
    If there is any great amount of deposits on the boiler, I will want to know what has caused it and prevent it from happening again. All good service people will work to achieve those same results.

that's what happens to agusta as well when the fecker robs one of my customers :D:D

jimf wrote: »
    that's what happens to agusta as well when the fecker robs one of my customers :D:D

Afraid to make any quip. I am being watched from Leeside. He may also have roped in help from a Jackeen now also :). I will just settle for a few Packmen (packmans?) :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Another 20 min until pub time.......................time goes slowly sometimes. :(

OH! I forget my brew. It will give me a head start. Now where is herself? Got to be sneaky sometimes, shhhhhhhhh.

And, no! I haven't been at it already.

Afraid to make any quip. I am being watched from Leeside. He may also have roped in help from a Jackeen now also :). I will just settle for a few Packmen (packmans?) :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Another 20 min until pub time.......................time goes slowly sometimes. :(

OH! I forget my brew. It will give me a head start. Now where is herself? Got to be sneaky sometimes, shhhhhhhhh.

Wrong tread.
    Try WTF

More appropate, It's Sunday, holy wine time and I still haven't a clue what your on about ?

And I'm men't to be the strange one here, acording to Shane 007 !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

becareful wearb its lidl wine night in the capital you don't want to upset scudo

Jeasus !
    Hasen't been at it yet !!!

Can't wait for words if wisdom later.

Anyway, back to bizz.
    cletus the OP is looking for oil boiler service in Rathdangan Co. Kildare if anybody wants to help him.
    M.

My lips are sealed. No words of wisdom tonight.
    Why did it take Santa so long to purchase Donner und Blitzen?

They were too deer :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement