Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Studies worthwhile?

Options
  • 28-12-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I have been considering postgraduate studies and this particular course caught my interest.

I don't believe that any course someone pursues in university should be as close to a vocational education as possible. In the cold light of financial reality though, I was wondering if this area of study is worthwhile in terms of career prospects. Does anyone have any knowledge on this area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I can't imagine career prospects being strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There are limited opportunities to become an Internet meme....

COLLEGE-LIBERAL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Haha, I'll cross it off the list then! :D

Haha, I'll cross it off the list then! :D

What is your degree in?

Saipanne wrote: »
    What is your degree in?

It's an arts degree in English & New Media. Since the electives became flexible, my focus in English has been on feminist literary theory. This much pretty much provides an academic outlet for my interest in gender which is why I'm considering continuing in the area with postgraduate studies.

In terms of New Media, the most useful aspect of it was probably the modules I took in technical communication. I am also considering a masters in communication but I'm not sure it interests me as much.

• Advertisement

It's an arts degree with English & New Media. Since the electives became flexible, my focus in English has been on feminist literary theory. This much pretty much provides an academic outlet for my interest in gender which is why I'm considering continuing in the area with postgraduate studies.

In terms of New Media, the most useful aspect of it was probably the modules I took in technical communication. I am also considering a masters in communication but I'm not sure it interests me as much.

What's more important to you? Another year or two of stimulating study, with limited job prospects, or going in a direction that is less stimulating but has better job prospects?

Saipanne wrote: »
    What's more important to you? Another year or two of stimulating study, with limited job prospects, or going in a direction that is less stimulating but has better job prospects?

The nature of my degree means that my job prospects certainly seem limited either way, with at least some improvement if I do postgraduate studies.

I'm really not sure what postgrad within my field would improve my career prospects.

I'm not yet 22, and I know quite a few people from various EU countries that won't leave university until they're 24-26 so I'm not sure why I have to rush into a career when I'm really not sure what direction interests me most.

The nature of my degree means that my job prospects certainly seem limited either way, with at least some improvement if I do postgraduate studies.

I'm really not sure what postgrad within my field would improve my career prospects.

I'm not yet 22, and I know quite a few people from various EU countries that won't leave university until they're 24-26 so I'm not sure why I have to rush into a career when I'm really not sure what direction interests me most.

Fair enough, but the above post doesn't line up with your original post. If your last post is what you believe, then you should study whatever course you feel passionate about.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That course has no tuition fees. Wow. Great opportunity.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

endacl wrote: »
    There are limited opportunities to become an Internet meme....
    [MOD] Let's keep the comments helpful please. [/MOD]

• Advertisement
Advertisement