Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaillant boiler help needed in Galway

• 28-12-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭

Have a need for urgent help for a Vaillant EcoTec boiler in Galway.

Have spoken to 3 gas people locally, none of whom have Vaillant experience or parts.

No heat atmo, so any help appreciated.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

galwaytt wrote: »
    Have a need for urgent help for a Vaillant EcoTec boiler in Galway.

Have spoken to 3 gas people locally, none of whom have Vaillant experience or parts.

No heat atmo, so any help appreciated.

Try the Rgi website. What's happening with your boiler when you turn it on? What is the pressure gauge reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Try the Rgi website. What's happening with your boiler when you turn it on? What is the pressure gauge reading?

The gauge is one of those crap ones built into the unit Green/red. Smack in the green of the green. I guess 1.5 - 2 bar.

It is running and producing hot water output, but is struggling to heat my buffer tank as normal. I suspect a circulation issue. I've cleaned out filter on both pipework and boiler but there was nothing in it really.

It is running 24 hrs now and barely heated the top half of the tank, but the outlet temp is high.

I did get an F23 error a few days ago and reset the boiler to clear it. Google tells me this could be an out of range temp differential between flow and return. ...hence my belief that there's a very low volume being produced. The internal pump is working.

The EcoTEC has had a lot of problems for Vaillant generally, and I have had retrofit updated parts fitted before.

The only Vaillant people I've come across are in Dublin or Munster and they won't travel. Vaillant were supposed to appoint new people this year, but no sign of any yet.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The gauge is one of those crap ones built into the unit Green/red. Smack in the green of the green. I guess 1.5 - 2 bar.

It is running and producing hot water output, but is struggling to heat my buffer tank as normal. I suspect a circulation issue. I've cleaned out filter on both pipework and boiler but there was nothing in it really.

It is running 24 hrs now and barely heated the top half of the tank, but the outlet temp is high.

I did get an F23 error a few days ago and reset the boiler to clear it. Google tells me this could be an out of range temp differential between flow and return. ...hence my belief that there's a very low volume being produced. The internal pump is working.

The EcoTEC has had a lot of problems for Vaillant generally, and I have had retrofit updated parts fitted before.

The only Vaillant people I've come across are in Dublin or Munster and they won't travel. Vaillant were supposed to appoint new people this year, but no sign of any yet.

Most gas boilers are the same generally. Any Rgi should be able to fix it for you once they're at it and can diagnose the problem

Most gas boilers are the same generally. Any Rgi should be able to fix it for you once they're at it and can diagnose the problem

.. spoke to another Rgi guy in Galway yesterday... Won't work on Vaillant. ..:(

Did find a guy on Dublin who would. .... But won't travel outside Dublin ffs...... It would take less time to reach me than to cross Dublin City. ..

Can anyone recommend a good, service- supported, parts-available system boiler ?

Finally, what ate the best options for primary system filters (hard water area) ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Sounds like your system could do with a chemical power flush (hence the F23)

As Heatmerchants are the agents, spare parts should not be an issue.

In fairness to most service guys, they work in their general locality, as it's cost effective. If one agreed to travel to Galway, time and fuel would be an issue, worse again, if there was a problem after visit, how would they warranty any return to you.

Vailliant, is a boiler like any other, and if the water flowing through it isn't right, you will have circulation problems eventually, really what needs to be tackled is the system and the water, other than that, I cannot understand anyones reluctance to work on this boiler as it's a good build quality appliance, and works as any other HE boiler does, with all components very accessible and serviceable.

Finally, ask your local Heatmerchants for a recommendation for who is working on them locally

• Advertisement

After 6 weeks with no heat, and countless no-shows from people, I think I'll have to dump the boiler and get a new one.

Brands being touted locally as a good replacement are:
    Baxi, Viessman, Alpha, Vokera.

Could I Get a hierarchy on these from people with experience ?

Reliability is top of the pile, followed by sercice & parts availability. I think too simplicity has to be a factor. Over-complex boilers (like my Valliant) are just not worth it imho.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

After 6 weeks with no heat, and countless no-shows from people, I think I'll have to dump the boiler and get a new one.

Reliability is top of the pile, followed by sercice & parts availability. I think too simplicity has to be a factor. Over-complex boilers (like my Valliant) are just not worth it imho.

Viessmann
    Bosch
    Ariston
    Vokera
    Baxi
    Alpha

I would start by looking at lenth of warranty and how near the service agent who covers the warranty lives from you as Vaillant have a very good reputation(in areas that they cover)

gary71 wrote: »
    I would start by looking at lenth of warranty and how near the service agent who covers the warranty lives from you as Vaillant have a very good reputation(in areas that they cover)

.....indeed. My old house had a Vaillant combi boiler, and that suffered problems due to a Vaillant quality problem with the galvanising of the condenser and had to be scrapped eventually. Vaillant admitted it was faulty, but even with free parts, the cost of fitting them to a 12yr old boiler didn't make sense.

Mind you, I didn't think my current Vaillant one would be so full of woes: it's been subject to 3 (major) redesigns so far, and the costs of implementing them make it uneconomical to repair. It's had internal pipework and wiring/sensors updated already, so this is major fubar #3. If only I'd used google before buying it..............so I don't think Vaillant are anywhere near where I thought the were, quality-wise. Service & support are another factor.

I'm being offered a Viessmann and an Alpha with a 5 year warranty atmo. I'm not familiar with either: what would differentiate them ?

Ode To The Motorist

.....indeed. My old house had a Vaillant combi boiler, and that suffered problems due to a Vaillant quality problem with the galvanising of the condenser and had to be scrapped eventually. Vaillant admitted it was faulty, but even with free parts, the cost of fitting them to a 12yr old boiler didn't make sense.

Mind you, I didn't think my current Vaillant one would be so full of woes: it's been subject to 3 (major) redesigns so far, and the costs of implementing them make it uneconomical to repair. It's had internal pipework and wiring/sensors updated already, so this is major fubar #3. If only I'd used google before buying it..............so I don't think Vaillant are anywhere near where I thought the were, quality-wise. Service & support are another factor.

I'm being offered a Viessmann and an Alpha with a 5 year warranty atmo. I'm not familiar with either: what would differentiate them ?

Wow, that's unfortunate to hear, Valiant used to make very good boilers.

I'd go with the Viessmann over a Alpha if it were my home.

• Advertisement

In fairness if your having F23 problems, it's most likely to to with the water quality flowing through the boiler (as in a blocked/partially blocked heat exchanger) as your temperature differential is going outside limits.

Have you tried having the appliance flushed, have you had you water tested, was in inhibited, was they system flushed before the boiler was fitted.

What the boiler is most likely doing by not heating the tank, is with restricted flow, the boiler will rapidly hit temperature and cut not, then will go into 'anti cycle mode' before allowing it to fire again. So the is would tie up with the tank not heating.\

Viessmann have a 4 pipe system that could be very useful to you for the underfloor, as in you can pipe you DHW storage and CH separately and have 2 different temperature set points, can be very handy.

DGOBS wrote: »
    In fairness if your having F23 problems, it's most likely to to with the water quality flowing through the boiler (as in a blocked/partially blocked heat exchanger) as your temperature differential is going outside limits.

Have you tried having the appliance flushed, have you had you water tested, was in inhibited, was they system flushed before the boiler was fitted.

What the boiler is most likely doing by not heating the tank, is with restricted flow, the boiler will rapidly hit temperature and cut not, then will go into 'anti cycle mode' before allowing it to fire again. So the is would tie up with the tank not heating.\

Viessmann have a 4 pipe system that could be very useful to you for the underfloor, as in you can pipe you DHW storage and CH separately and have 2 different temperature set points, can be very handy.

Hi yes - the system has been opened up and the system found clean. There is approx. 100L (yes, 100L ) of inhibitor on the system since Day 1. No power flush as the RGI man tells me it isn't the water - but has diagnosed and iffy pump (which has been the subject of a redesign by Vaillant as I've learnt, so is a known problem). Cost of the pump and fitting is 50% that of a new boiler............

Ode To The Motorist

Hi yes - the system has been opened up and the system found clean. There is approx. 100L (yes, 100L ) of inhibitor on the system since Day 1. No power flush as the RGI man tells me it isn't the water - but has diagnosed and iffy pump (which has been the subject of a redesign by Vaillant as I've learnt, so is a known problem). Cost of the pump and fitting is 50% that of a new boiler............

100l of inhibitor????? That's usually the water capacity of the entire heating system!!!

So you have over inhibited the system? Be carful as some/most inhibitors warn against over inhibiting.
    Is there limescale in the water in your area?

Which ECOtec model is it?

100l of inhibitor????? That's usually the water capacity of the entire heating system!!!

No, inhibitor is 10% of system capacity.

Ode To The Motorist

DGOBS wrote: »
    So you have over inhibited the system? Be carful as some/most inhibitors warn against over inhibiting.
    Is there limescale in the water in your area?

Which ECOtec model is it?

EcoTec plus 630 R1 . As above inhibitor is at 10% level. Hard water, yes, but I have almost zero top ups, so the water in there is the same water for years

Ode To The Motorist

No, inhibitor is 10% of system capacity.

My apologies. I was under the assumption that your house was a standard 3 bed. I didn't realise it was so large.

My apologies. I was under the assumption that your house was a standard 3 bed. I didn't realise it was so large.

No, you're grand - I prefer to be asked than to have assumed !

Set up is: 1000L buffer tank with in-tank DHW coil and feeding UFH on 3 levels. Buffer is heated by a combination of solar + the system boiler.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement