Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best type of light for room with no windows

Options
  • 28-12-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭

Have a room above a conservatory which is approx 12ft x 7ft, which previous owners used as a walk-in wardrobe.

I plan to put some carpet down and use it as a playroom, but it has no natural light. There is a light fitting in the centre of the roof which has a small bulb at present but which would be the best type of light to use that would provide the best light for everyday use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All very nice but its to provide light to a kids toy room, don't think its worth that expense!

I could probably put in a velux window for cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://glamox.com/ie/products/modul-s#Gallery

something like this a surface LED fitting. Had a quick look at the calcs, you'd get an acceptable 300 maintained lux on the floor in this room with this fitting, i assume that kids might want to read on the floor etc

this would be "bright"if there was a table but taking kids lying on the floor reading etc 300 Lux is good. it would be under 10lux per sw.M too

you could drop the size of the lamp if you wanted, but i think this would be a decent option

What's the colour temperature of those Stoner?

I'll check the report on the pc later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Sorry for hijacking thread

Sir Liamalot, do you know ny installers in Meath have a light tube came in house and every winter we get condensation on it that drips to floor is there anything that can be done to stop this.

Cheers

What's the colour temperature of those Stoner?

eddiej wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking thread

Sir Liamalot, do you know ny installers in Meath have a light tube came in house and every winter we get condensation on it that drips to floor is there anything that can be done to stop this.

Cheers

Insulate the pipe throughout the house to prevent a cold bridge.
    Use calcium chloride in the pipe to absorb stray condensation.
    Get a high quality pipe assembly.
    Stoner wrote: »

Missing a digit?

Missing a digit?

Ah nevermind 830 = colour code for 3000°K?
    That's pretty alright...warm-ish white. I prefer a 2700°K myself but then again daylight is about 6000°K although I always find it cold and blue from artificial sources.

Missing a digit?

no

colour 3000K I'd say, 830 as philips use for colour appearance I think they call it, Glamox and relux use this too. I used the LDT Glamox file from the online library this is what they say in their documentation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Insulate the pipe throughout the house to prevent a cold bridge.
    Use calcium chloride in the pipe to absorb stray condensation.
    Get a high quality pipe assembly.

Missing a digit?

Thanks Sir Liamalot,

Have been looking on the net the last few days and will be getting it replaced eventually when budget allows, will have to go for wrapping the tube in insulation through the attic for the present. Have a bendy flexible pipe at present will go for a rigid system when replaced and definitely look at the insulation properties of the pipe we replace with.

Thanks for insulation tips.

Eddie

I'd try sticking a (refractive) saucerful of this in there somewhere in the meantime as a bodge job.
    Stoner wrote: »
    as philips use for colour appearance I think they call it

What's the benefit of this over the Kelvin scale or is it just proprietary?

I'd try sticking a (refractive) saucerful of this in there somewhere in the meantime as a bodge job.

What's the benefit of this over the Kelvin scale or is it just proprietary?

To be honest I don't know sorry. Ill ask them next time I see them.

Advertisement