Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAME 0.156 with High Score support

• 29-12-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good mame (with UI) that has high score support ?

I've just gotten mameui64 but I can;t get it to save high scores in pacman for some reason.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hey Brian.

Stupid question. Are the buuilds you have supposed to be hi score enabled?

I use this site for mame builds and news.

http://insertmorecoins.wordpress.com/category/emuladores/mame/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Yeah. Hi Score builds. Tried the MAME UI 64 from the link you sent and still no high score saved. I am baffled.

*I've even dropped in the hiscore.dat file.

Still cant get any of the MameUI versions to save but MAME Plus from that site is working. Thanks.

Where do you have the hi score dat file stored?

I moved to mame 155 recently from 150.

I had the dat stored in mame root but had to move it to the hi score folder for it to work in 155.

The builds in that link I sent you are normally very reliable.

I had the hiscore.dat in mame root.

I moved it from there to ./hi and for Mame Plus! 0.156 (the one I got working) it stopped working.

I tried it in root and ./hi for MameUI and hi scores not working either way.

• Advertisement

http://mame32fx.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6

Moved hiscore.dat to the ./DATS folder and all good :D

There's obviously some change in newer versions of mame in relation to hi scores.

For the record I'm using groovymame 155.

Glad you're sorted anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Mame is funny in that the developers seem to want to keep it 'pure' ie its not for playing the games , just emulating them precisely.
    so you find that updates actually REMOVE features.
    Nice rant from a few years back about it here
    http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/mameover.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ts_editor

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ***URL removed (low postcount)***
    :P
    .... ruined mainstream videogaming, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory around the middle of the PS1 era and lumbering the rest of us with a crushing weight of dull, plodding, endless fantasy RPGs or dry, joyless sports sims ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaulPriest

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Mame is funny in that the developers seem to want to keep it 'pure' ie its not for playing the games , just emulating them precisely.
    so you find that updates actually REMOVE features.

For the record, the hiscore.dat was removed because it was an endless source of false bug reports - it is just a list of chunks of memory to backup (which wouldn't have been so bad), and watch/trigger addresses. If mamedev/we (I was an active dev around 2001-2004) had maintained it it wouldn't have been so bad, but noone wanted to and it was left to the community. We also had 2 viable alternatives at that point - eeprom, nvram, hd changes could be preserved, and then later we had (auto) savestates - removing the highscores lead to a much greater support for the savestates (though I must confess to not knowing the percentage coverage now - I'd hope it's pretty good proportion.
    Savestates are much more reliable, it's just like leaving the pcb running...

Nearly a couple of decades later - I think most people would agree that the original ethos behind MAME had held us in good stead - not a day goes by where I don't read sone article about a project that has used MAME technical documentation, dissassemblers or emulation to reverse some protection and restore dead pcbs, or write new games, or reimplement games on fpgas ( or emulation of classics on modern consoles/Steam with heavily 'inspired' code).

• Advertisement
Advertisement