Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reheating lunch questions

Options
  • 29-12-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hello all, hope I can pick some brains. I am planning a big New Years push towards bringing lunch. I have a list of healthy ideas but need some delicious bold ones to stop me buying crap but going through my list of stuff I like, I don't think they can be reheated.. Would appreciate thoughts. I only have access to a kettle and microwave in work.

1- pasta - tried and failed this one before. I presume keep the sauce off it and just reheat sauce it won't go soggy? I love creamy not tomatoey sauces. One of my favourite bold ones is chicken and mushroom in a white wine and cream sauce. Will this be destroyed if trying to reheat in microwave? I have done it before in a pan but reading online it appears it will separate/ congeal in some way. Should spaghetti be undercooked if it's been kept in sauce? (So doesn't go soggy) ie in spaghetti Bol

2- risotto. Is it possible to reheat risotto in a microwave? It'd be a simple mushroom risotto.

3- bread. I can't stand pale soggy rolls and usually buy on the day but there is a limited selection near the job. Just discovered a nice Natural bakery near home with amazingly crunchy French bread - would this last better - ie can you buy any types of bread the day before and still get the fresh crispiness? Have no toaster in work

4- sauces- can things like pepper sauce (packet) be reheated on a microwave? I could bring excess dinners in but when I put this in fridge before it hardened into a lump. I have reheated stuff using milk/water but on the hob.

5- general veg. Bringing left overs before (curries stews etc) I have found my veg has become really soggy. Should I be "making" the leftovers separate to the main meal and keep the veg out?

Any tips welcome, I tend to use my home microwave for popcorn only!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Learn to adjust the time and temperature settings so you don't completely nuke your food. I suspect that you are recooking your food rather than reheating it. That will cause food to go soggy. I usually turn the power down a bit. It takes a bit longer to heat the food but it does it more gently. Stir your food half way through heating and allow it to stand for the heat to distribute.

If your food is coming out like molten lava, you are overdoing it with the microwaves.

I regularly heat up all sort of leftovers in the microwave.

I can't see risotto ever reheating well, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

1. I successfully reheat pasta and sauce regularly.

Make sure the pasta is not overcooked in the first place.
    Mix the pasta and the sauce when they are cold, and reheat gently in a microwave 1 minute at a time, stirring after each minute. As above, don't overheat.

2. It is possible to reheat risotto, but the texture would not be the same

3. Amazingly crunchy, good quality French bread has a tendency to go stale in a matter of hours and is only good on the day it is baked.

4. Yes, packet sauces reheat easily in a microwave.

5. Curries and stews reheat easily in a microwave. As above, it sounds like you are overcooking everything,

Practice using your microwave to reheat stuff. 1 minute at a time and stir and taste every minute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I like the idea of the build your own pot noodle: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/diy-instant-noodle-cups-food-lab.html

You have access to a kettle, so that'll work.

I've also cooked the likes of ravioli in teh microwave in work. Put a portion in a bowl with enough hot water to cover and a side plate to keep the ravioli sunk. Then nuke for two mins, strain (using the plate) and put your sauce on top (reheated if needed).

The likes of lasange reheats pretty well in a microwave. You lose the crispy cheese but it's still tasty. Curry tends to reheat really well too, though if you like your veggies crispier, scoop the lunchbox portion out of the pot a little earlier than you're planning to eat the dinner portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Thanks all for the suggestions. I don't think I'm nuking food, more that if I make something ie a stirfry it's fine to eat it there and then but the leftovers sitting in the pan over cook. I'll try keep them out/ transfer Straight away to a cool container.
    Will try mixing the pasta and sauce when cool. I love pasta but when it goes soggy it's horrendous!! I have lots of Tupperware so I might keep them totally separate.

I know everyone says lasagne reheats well but I don't find that?? It's less the microwave more that I like saucy lasagne and it seems to dry up overnight. Same with my Shepards pie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Something is wrong with how you are reheating everything.

I reheat lasagne and shepherds pie for 2.5 mins in the microwave and it's fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Thanks but I mean beforehand - ie Shepards pie potato soaks up the gravy and lasagne (presume the pasta) soaks up the sauce so they are drier coming out of the fridge?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sala wrote: »
    Thanks but I mean beforehand - ie Shepards pie potatoe soaks up and lasagne (presume the pasta) soaks up the sauce so they are drier coming out of the fridge?

I haven't had that happen, I generally put them into individual portions when cold into the fridge and just take them out as needed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Sala wrote: »
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I don't think I'm nuking food, more that if I make something ie a stirfry it's fine to eat it there and then but the leftovers sitting in the pan over cook. I'll try keep them out/ transfer Straight away to a cool container.
    Will try mixing the pasta and sauce when cool. I love pasta but when it goes soggy it's horrendous!! I have lots of Tupperware so I might keep them totally separate.

I know everyone says lasagne reheats well but I don't find that?? It's less the microwave more that I like saucy lasagne and it seems to dry up overnight. Same with my Shepards pie.
    The lasagne's pasta is just like the other pasta, it'll soak up any liquid it's in contact with. I love mushy lasange so I tend to bake mine and prefer it the following day after mushification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Tree wrote: »
    The lasagne's pasta is just like the other pasta, it'll soak up any liquid it's in contact with. I love mushy lasange so I tend to bake mine and prefer it the following day after mushification.

The key to delicious, floppy lasagne that doesn't soak up all the lovely sauce is to par-boil the sheets first. Makes the world of difference and only adds a couple of minutes to the overall prep time.

I rehydrate my sheets before assembling lasagne, like regular pasta, it will keep soaking up the moisture *slluuuuurp*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hope I'm not off topic - I need advice on heating cooked Gams ( which are pig's ankles I think ). I got them at the English Market and carried them around town for 7 hours before I arrived home - the lady at the market said they would keep as they were well salted.
    They are in the fridge and I would like to cook them for lunch today.
    Can someone recommend whether it's better to boil them or roast them in the oven?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I would wrap them in foil & reheat them in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Thanks Hill Billy I did and it worked out fine. About 30 mins at 190.

Advertisement