Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

adrian522 wrote: »
    Why? Too much talent to be terrible. Let's what and see what the rest of the coaching staff looks like.

Coaching is so important. Massive step down in HC already and looks another one in DC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm sorry I don't get what you are saying? JT is a massive step down? He has been a very good coach his entire career and is well respected.

I'm not a fan of the hire at all but to say the 49ers are now going to be terrible is a little silly to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Jesus, completely forgot about Doug Marrone. Lump sum payday aside, that move has backfired spectacularly. No one will touch him after that infamous Jets interview. So much for Saint Doug!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It could go either way with the 49ers, for me they've lost one of the best head coaches in the sport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

And the best DC. And for no good reason anyone can make out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Failure Seymore, failure.

The expectation level at the 9ers is pretty massive in fairness and if they had a QB with a brain to match his physical talent they would have jobs and rings now, imho.

a lot of people "in the know" have been speaking highly of tomsula for a while and expected this move from day one by all accounts he will continue what harbaugh was doing (same style of play etc.) but is less likely to be confrontational with head office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I hear that Fox signed a 3 year deal with the Bears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I hear that Fox signed a 3 year deal with the Bears.

Any source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Man if we hire Kubiak we are gonna suck before too long.

If we hire him it's because Elway wants his mate in and a yesman that takes the orders from the top and knows who's the real boss in Denver. That's a worryingly Jerry Jones type move.

That said, if we do get him, CJ Anderson will have a monster year next year if healthy so draft him early in fantasy, folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Any source?

Here:
    Aaron Leming
    @AaronLemingNFL
    It's not like I'm "breaking" much here but I will say that I have been told John Fox will indeed be the next HC of the #Bears

spiralism wrote: »
    Here:

Thanks, but specifically a three year deal seems to imply somewhere that more info on the deal can be found.

Either way, expect a much better Bears team in the next year or two, even if Fox isn't everyone's favourite candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Here:

Aaron Leming
    @AaronLemingNFL
    It's not like I'm "breaking" much here but I will say that I have been told John Fox will indeed be the next HC of the #Bears

This guy's guessing, none of the trusted reporters have said it.

Fox was in for an interview yesterday. Heard several commentators say not to let him get back on a plane without an offer. And the Bears let hm get back on the plane without an offer. Damn right too. Who's lining up for John Fox? Atlanta are the only other team in the mix, and don't think they've interviewed him.

I suppose the Bears want to do a second interview with Dan Quinn, which they have to wait 'til after the NFC Championship game to do, so probably Monday/Tuesday.

Surprised to see the 49ers went past Vic Fangio and gave the HC job to the d-line coach, bit of a snub there. The Bears should get on the phone to Fangio's agent while they're waiting on Quinn. Been an admirer of their defense for the last few years.

Dick LeBeau on his way to Arizona as DC.

Dick LeBeau on his way to Arizona as DC.

has anything come out as to what made him leave the steelers he was hardly fired was he

padraig_f wrote: »
    Surprised to see the 49ers went past Vic Fangio and gave the HC job to the d-line coach, bit of a snub there. The Bears should get on the phone to Fangio's agent while they're waiting on Quinn. Been an admirer of their defense for the last few years.

You mean for HC or for DC? I'm not sure they would make him HC, far too honest in interviews and has a reputation for clashing with the front office on personnel decisions.

Would be good as DC though as long as they let him run the defense himself and not have a philosophy imposed on him .

has anything come out as to what made him leave the steelers he was hardly fired was he

Nothing concrete has really come out from what I've seen. All I've read is that over the years, and especially in 2011, LeBeau always remained committed to Pittsburgh and said he was there for life. So that points to him maybe being forced out. The most common theory I've seen is that Keith Butler (promoted from LB coach to DC) would have been highly recruited as a DC elsewhere and they did not want to lose him. LeBeau's age obviously meant his long term future wasn't secure, so they wanted to get Butler promoted before someone else snatched him (and thus being left without Butler and LeBeau in a couple of years time when you'd imagine LeBeau would be retiring). I guess the poor season Pittsburgh's D had gave them the opportunity to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Man if we hire Kubiak we are gonna suck before too long.

If we hire him it's because Elway wants his mate in and a yesman that takes the orders from the top and knows who's the real boss in Denver. That's a worryingly Jerry Jones type move.

That said, if we do get him, CJ Anderson will have a monster year next year if healthy so draft him early in fantasy, folks

Am I the only one who thinks Kubiak did a relatively decent job at the Texans before that woeful last season?

Nothing concrete has really come out from what I've seen. All I've read is that over the years, and especially in 2011, LeBeau always remained committed to Pittsburgh and said he was there for life. So that points to him maybe being forced out. The most common theory I've seen is that Keith Butler (promoted from LB coach to DC) would have been highly recruited as a DC elsewhere and they did not want to lose him. LeBeau's age obviously meant his long term future wasn't secure, so they wanted to get Butler promoted before someone else snatched him (and thus being left without Butler and LeBeau in a couple of years time when you'd imagine LeBeau would be retiring). I guess the poor season Pittsburgh's D had gave them the opportunity to do so.

i guess you have to look at the future of the franchise but id say there where a lot of steelers fans very sad to see him go

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Am I the only one who thinks Kubiak did a relatively decent job at the Texans before that woeful last season?

And Schaub's arm fell off that last season- so not all that disgraceful.

• Advertisement

The talk is of Rob Chudzinski for 49ers OC. Could be ok I guess, seemed to do a good job with Carolina when Newton first got there.

The talk is of Rob Chudzinski for 49ers OC. Could be ok I guess, seemed to do a good job with Carolina when Newton first got there.

Better than Coach Goodpractice McLookatTape who ye were rumoured to be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

You mean for HC or for DC? I'm not sure they would make him HC, far too honest in interviews and has a reputation for clashing with the front office on personnel decisions.

Would be good as DC though as long as they let him run the defense himself and not have a philosophy imposed on him .

HC as well as DC, though don't know too much about his personality, just liked what I saw on the field. The Bears have interviewed Dan Quinn and Teryl Austin as HC candidates, so you'd be taking a similar punt with them.

I guess that would be a question you'd need to address alright though, why his own team passed him up for HC.

His own team passed him up because they are incompetent and they don't want anyone questioning the decisions of the owner or GM.

Thing about VC is if one of the players is unfit/not practicing well/needs to improve in a certain area he will come right out and say it in media interviews.

Great for fans and reporters, but certainly not what a lot of teams are looking for in their HC.

Fangio has been around the league for decades now and has never gotten a HC job, you'd have to wonder why I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Aside from the odd exception, the standard of head coaching candidate available this offseason is absolutely woeful. A tough year to be looking for a new coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thing about VC is if one of the players is unfit/not practicing well/needs to improve in a certain area he will come right out and say it in media interviews.

Sounds like he needs to watch a few Andy Reid interviews!

John Harbaugh is a graduate from the Andy Reid school of speaking and saying nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Reports saying Steve Spagnoulo is back as Giants DC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Paully D wrote: »
    Aside from the odd exception, the standard of head coaching candidate available this offseason is absolutely woeful. A tough year to be looking for a new coach.

I wouldn't say it's awful just largely unknown, teams will be taking a gamble on hyped co-ordinators looking for the next Tomlin. Quinn, Austin and Bowles all have huge potential if they can make the transition.

Rumours of Quinn wanting Gase as his OC in Atlanta would be a very good combination if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I wouldn't say it's awful just largely unknown, teams will be taking a gamble on hyped co-ordinators looking for the next Tomlin. Quinn, Austin and Bowles all have huge potential if they can make the transition.

Rumours of Quinn wanting Gase as his OC in Atlanta would be a very good combination if it happened.

Both Quinn and Austin pitched the idea of Gase as OC in the Atlanta interviews.

Meanwhile Gase is having a formal interview with the Broncos. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Any source?

Tends to disappear when asked to back up claims so don't hold your breath :)

Advertisement