Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Swansea 8PM 29/12/2014 Sky Sports 1.

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

One is a regular England international though. The FA do seem to go a bit easier on them.

This is what I mean. It's been happening for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think with the Sterling incident, it probably wouldn't have been talked about again once the post match analysis was over. I doubt there would have been many calls for retrospective punishment.

But because of the Shelvey incident in the same match, they both get compared. Shelvey definitely deserves a three game ban. Sterling's was just silly. But he certainly got away with it, no doubt.

Proper decision

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I was very skeptical about the Lallana transfer in the summer but he looks pound for pound our best business of the summer (not difficult I know).

Fair play to Rodgers for resolving the main problems in the team and seemingly improvising a system that maximises what we have right now.

But the flip side of this is - how couldn't he see it earlier? Lallana and Coutinho have to play if we want to score goals and this was evident for a while. To leave both out against Basle was criminal and I'm confident that if they had played we'd still be in the Champions League. I think Rodgers learned a little too late, and while I certainly wouldn't go along with those who want him out, I do think he can take a lot of responsibility for the CL exit which was very disappointing.

Still, there's a good team in there. There's some frightening players in our attack that the opposition won't look forward to facing. We still lack that natural striker and finisher, but when Sturridge comes back:

----Lallana----Coutinho----Sterling

Sturridge

Very pacey and clever attack that should score loads of goals and be a nightmare to defend against. Top 4 a definite possibility IF Sturridge comes back, stays fit and reproduces the form of last season.

Bit of a big if, but there is something close to a good team in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Thought he couldn't be charged if seen by any of the officials? Linesman was standing next to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Roanmore wrote: »
    Thought he couldn't be charged if seen by any of the officials? Linesman was standing next to him.

The red was looking at Shelvey. The FA always went soft on Eng Internationals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Has Shelvey not got any caps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Turtyturd wrote: »

I'd say he has a few. Fairly cold this time of the year with a bald head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Turtyturd wrote: »

Only one, you need two caps or more for leniency.

England international, Fabian Delph, has had his ban upheld the FA have confirmed tonight. He'll serve a three game ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Has there been any research into 'The FA are more lenient to English Internationals' or is it just an opinion that has become a 'fact'?

Fromvert wrote: »
    Has there been any research into 'The FA are more lenient to English Internationals' or is it just an opinion that has become a 'fact'?

Didn't Rooney have a ban rescinded, so he could play in a world cup a while back!

I think it all stems from when the FA let Shearer off for kicking Neil Lennon in the head.

Didn't Rooney have a ban rescinded, so he could play in a world cup a while back!

I've no idea but how would the FA do that when it would need to be a FIFA ban to stop him playing in a World Cup?

I've no idea but how would the FA do that when it would need to be a FIFA ban to stop him playing in a World Cup?

I think the FA appealed on hes behalf or something like that, don't really recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It was either 2008 or 2009 that Chelsea appealed a load of red cards over the season and had 2 rescinded... Lampard and Terry.
    The others were all foreigners.

I think the FA appealed on hes behalf or something like that, don't really recall.

If that's the case it's little different than being more lenient on their own. They wanted their best players so of course they'd appeal it.

It was either 2008 or 2009 that Chelsea appealed a load of red cards over the season and had 2 rescinded... Lampard and Terry.
    The others were all foreigners.

I've no idea about the FA being more lenient and never noticed it. Where they the correct decisions?

I've no idea about the FA being more lenient and never noticed it. Where they the correct decisions?

I'm only recalling it from memory, there was a bit of an uproar about Terry's as he was cleared to play against United the following week. Nearly sure Drogba and Essien had their appeals refused, It was my feeling at the time that it was a bit shady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think it all stems from when the FA let Shearer off for kicking Neil Lennon in the head.
    And the Rooney elbow on a Wigan player 3 or 4 seasons back. Far, far worse than Shelvey's last night.

blueser wrote: »
    And the Rooney elbow on a Wigan player 3 or 4 seasons back. Far, far worse than Shelvey's last night.

Yeah, that was another ridiculous one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Yeah, that was another ridiculous one.

Ben Thatchers assault on Pedro Mendes,which caused him to have a seizure on the side of the pitch was much worse.

Absolutely horrific elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Ben Thatchers assault on Pedro Mendes,which caused him to have a seizure on the side of the pitch was much worse.

Absolutely horrific elbow.
    No comparison with that horrific challenge and Sterling's petulant reaction last night. Different on two counts;
    1. Thatcher wasn't an England international (Welsh). Therefore, the "England player protected" theory doesn't apply in his case.
    2. He was suspended by the FA. Indeed, the FA took exceptional measures with him as he had been dealt with by the referee during the game (booked). Normally, that means no further action can be taken. Also, the club suspended and fined him. He ended up serving an eight match ban, and was fined six weeks wages by City.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/5339964.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Shelvey done for four games.

I'd expect him to be transfer listed in the summer. Gary Monk won't put up with that kind of crap on top of being being a dozy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

blueser wrote: »

Rooney seems to have his own rules. He is allowed to elbow players but cursing, and red cards in friendly matches? 2 or 3 game bans

• Advertisement
Advertisement