Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High End Furniture To Sell

Options
  • 29-12-2014 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I have a Dining Table & Chair set that I would like to sell. It is not antique but ornate and in excellent condition. I would like some advice on where I can sell it. Done Deal, Gum Tree, Adverts.ie really I don't think are ideal to place an ad as a lot of furniture I have looked at sells for a lot less than I would be asking. It is a tempered glass table with carved stone pewter pillars and six pewter chairs. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations preferably in the Dublin area. It could be shipped if I fail to find somewhere in Dublin to take it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sorry prob wasn't v helpful. Where did you buy them from and how much you pay. Honestly I don't see a market for them unless they are cool vintage or antique. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

A couple of muppets seem to have strayed in from AH. Very helpful.

OP, you might try some of the antique shops around Francis St. I've often seen dining suites there. I'm sure if you brought along some pictures they could advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Unhelpful replies removed. One poster should know better, but the other needs to significantly improve their postings in this forum.

OP it might also be worth having a look up Capel St or Richmond St Sth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP you put it at auction. But I cant imagine you getting a great price. Your furniture sounds like its your taste and wouldnt match most people stye. Donedeal or adverts is still probably the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

How about an auction like buckleys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Have I posted this in the wrong section?? Bit confused, I seem to have picked up some not so helpful comments!
    I bought the furniture (in an old relationship) and it was the other persons taste. Bought in 2002 in England for around the equivalent of €1500. I'm in the process of getting some photos together, measurements, description etc. I live in Cork but the item is in Dublin so I can't go trailing around Dublin at the moment. But I will check out the places suggested so thank you to the posters who made the effort of recommending places.

I've googled some antique dealers in Dublin, and once I have all the information, I'll send on an email to a few. Think that is the best thing for the moment. It's actually a nice dining set, tempered glass table with six gothic style pewter chairs but very heavy. Not antiques, just wondering would an antique dealer be interested in it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You could try Irish Liquidators. Weird name but it's a great shop in tallaght that do lots of household and shop clearances. Can't link at the moment but they're easily found on fb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You are much better off trying to sell it yourself. If you sell it to a dealer you will probably have to take a bit hit on the original price unless there is something very special about it. There isn't anywhere on capel street that would be taking this off you for much to be honest (I have a shop there myself). If it's very old or very modern you might find some interest but it would need to stand out. There is a ton of ransom bits of furniture from 80s-90s knocking around right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think you should get professionally valued by a couple of places and see if your expectations are accurate or realistic.

No point advertising it until you do that.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    You could try Irish Liquidators. Weird name but it's a great shop in tallaght that do lots of household and shop clearances. Can't link at the moment but they're easily found on fb.

Thanks. I had a look on FB but I have to bring the funiture into their shop and that's not possible. Collection has to be from me as it's too heavy to deliver. Might be worth an email to them anyhow.

jimmii wrote: »
    You are much better off trying to sell it yourself. If you sell it to a dealer you will probably have to take a bit hit on the original price unless there is something very special about it. There isn't anywhere on capel street that would be taking this off you for much to be honest (I have a shop there myself). If it's very old or very modern you might find some interest but it would need to stand out. There is a ton of ransom bits of furniture from 80s-90s knocking around right now.

I believe this might stand out. It's very different. In my opinion it looks like something you might see in an interiors magazine. I don't know how old it is apart from when I bought it (2002).

beauf wrote: »
    I think you should get professionally valued by a couple of places and see if your expectations are accurate or realistic.

No point advertising it until you do that.

Where would I get it valued? Could someone value it by looking at a picture?

Oleander wrote: »
    I believe this might stand out.

That sounds quite pessimistic! If its something special it will be easy to move. Just have to get in touch with dealers see if they are interested. Get it valued locally or even online first so you have a ball park price.

Where would I get it valued? Could someone value it by looking at a picture?

You can get it done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Pics please OP, and info on your asking price and make etc.

That sounds quite pessimistic! If its something special it will be easy to move. Just have to get in touch with dealers see if they are interested. Get it valued locally or even online first so you have a ball park price.

I don't understand how that comes across as being pessimistic, I feel quite optimistic about selling it to be honest. I know I can sell it but its in excellent condition so I want to get a good price, it's hardly been used. And I can't move it easily because it is a tempered glass table with two stone pillars and pewter chairs, everything weighs a ton. I have photos so I will send a few emails off for starters.

I don't understand how that comes across as being pessimistic, I feel quite optimistic about selling it to be honest. I know I can sell it but its in excellent condition so I want to get a good price, it's hardly been used. And I can't move it easily because it is a tempered glass table with two stone pillars and pewter chairs, everything weighs a ton. I have photos so I will send a few emails off for starters.

Sounded like you weren't so convinced by it! Unless you underpaid originally you are highly unlikely to get close to your purchase price from a company. If its something good quality and different a good auction is probably your best bet and hope to attract the right buyers and get a good price for it. Search for online furniture valuations should give you a good few options better to get it looked out by someone not looking to buy it as well as those who hopefully might!

Pics please OP, and info on your asking price and make etc.

I don't know the make. I bought it in 2002 with an ex partner whom I don't see anymore, I don't remember where we bought it. I've tried to google it to find if there is something similar but didn't find much. If you are interested in buying furniture I can email you the pics privately. I will look into getting it valued as suggested by many people here, I bought it for £1000 (I know the price as I had to insure it to ship it back to Ireland).

Sounded like you weren't so convinced by it! Unless you underpaid originally you are highly unlikely to get close to your purchase price from a company. If its something good quality and different a good auction is probably your best bet and hope to attract the right buyers and get a good price for it. Search for online furniture valuations should give you a good few options better to get it looked out by someone not looking to buy it as well as those who hopefully might!

Thank you for the advice. I'll do that.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the advice. I'll do that.

Good luck hope you get what you're after!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I don't know the make. I bought it in 2002 with an ex partner whom I don't see anymore, I don't remember where we bought it. I've tried to google it to find if there is something similar but didn't find much. If you are interested in buying furniture I can email you the pics privately. I will look into getting it valued as suggested by many people here, I bought it for £1000 (I know the price as I had to insure it to ship it back to Ireland).

What are you hoping to get for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

What are you hoping to get for it?

Well it's in very good condition and it's a good sized table. I'd like to get no less than €500, I don't imagine getting any more than €700 for it but that would be ideal.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Thanks for your recommendations, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Have you tried some prop shops ie for films and tv shows they might be interested if its unusaul

Advertisement