Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extracter fan not doing it's job.

Options
  • 29-12-2014 4:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all.. I've a problem with a bathroom Extracter fan not taking out the steam from a power shower and walls now starting to show slight signs of mould.. I checked the ducting and it's connected to slate vent fine..
    The name on it is xplair (spelt wrong).

Do I need to put in different system to overcome this prob..

Regards rambojon.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

check blockages from birds

vent not opening

is the wheel loose

humidistat on this fan can be adjusted to trigger between 50% and 90% relative humidity (RH)the humidity control usually needs to be set very high (higher than the ambient moisture level, so typically >80%) to avoid false triggering and running on excessively. It also pays to ensure you have a back-draught shutter fitted to avoid cold damp air from outside the property blowing back up the duct/into the room/fan and triggering it needlessly.
    Every cubic meter of damp air extracted needs to be replaced with dry air; many ignore this point! In many homes, dry air is simply drawn through the gap under the door, but if your door is closed after a bath/shower and fits closely to the carpet/floor preventing a good air-flow, no amount of sucking by the fan will remove the damp, and the fan will again likely run indefinitely! In these cases, trim the door, leave the door ajar or fit a vent to the door.

you can adjust timer to run 30 minutes

which model number you might need a bigger one

does it come on straigt way when you turn on a switch or does sensor turn it on,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

rambojon wrote: »
    Hi all.. I've a problem with a bathroom Extracter fan not taking out the steam from a power shower and walls now starting to show slight signs of mould.. I checked the ducting and it's connected to slate vent fine..

Regards rambojon.

A regular bathroom fan is for smells & will not remove steam. They help circulate the air. A good vent as close to the ceiling as possible is far better than a fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A regular bathroom fan is for smells & will not remove steam. They help circulate the air. A good vent as close to the ceiling as possible is far better than a fan.

its built for bathrooms it has humidity sensor:p

my guess is he shuts door after bath so no airflow

leave bathroom door open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If the bathroom has cold walls in cooler weather, that may cause more of the water vapour to condense on the walls. And/Or as said, not enough air flow into bathroom to allow fan to vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

If you remove air from a room you need to replace that air.
    You should always have a vent as well as a fan

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

rambojon wrote: »

Regards rambojon.

Have you correctly matched the fan to the size of the room,as in the cfm of the fan to suit the room volume?
    Is the fan working at correct speed?
    Does fan need to be cleaned and serviced?
    Do you have a mechanical vent in the room?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've an issue with my ensuite extractor fan running but not getting smells out.

Is it an electrician I need to contact?

It's not been serviced in five years.

Advertisement