Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of extensions

Options
  • 29-12-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm looking to build an extension and wondering how much to budget for. We're looking at a 2x2 back 2m wide by 20ft front to back

Could It be done for under 40k

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yakkson wrote: »
    I'm looking to build an extension and wondering how much to budget for. We're looking at a 2x2 back 2m wide by 20ft front to back

Could It be done for under 40k

Can you clarify the dimensions please. What does 2x2 back 2m wide by 20ft mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yakkson

2 floor extension. Built on side of my house. And. The dimens are 2m wide at the side of the house by 20ft front to back

2 floor extension. Built on side of my house. And. The dimens are 2m wide at the side of the house by 20ft front to back

Ok, that clears it up.

2 storey side extension.
    2m X 7m (approx).

The width would be very restrictive. What could you gain by adding 2m.

Can you post a pic of the house front elevation maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

At first, what BER rating have on the main House and what BER You plan on extension?
    Did Your existing heating system will support extra heating space?
    Is there any plumbing, like sink or bath to be fitted?
    single light fittings or recess lights in the rooms?
    phone line,tv etc?
    Carpet floors or tiles?
    Concrete blocks, timber frame or AAC blocks?
    PVC or timber windows, double or triple glazed?
    External plaster or bricks?
    What do You want, a good extension or cheep one?
    We built single storey cheep one for 25k, but it's as cheep as it can be, badly insulated without painting and decorating work.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I would say no prob but you get what you pay for ad another 10 and get a nice job, dont forget planning

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

You will need to apply for full planning permission before you build.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yakkson

What does BER rating mean?

Our neighbours did same extension so we are planning on flipping their plans.

We will be adding 2 bedrooms upstairs and new kitchen downstairs.

Double glazed windows in front

Carpeted upstairs, tiles downstairs.

I can get a lot of materials from UK if that helps with cost.

The extension will also need to be pebble dashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

At first, what BER rating have on the main House and what BER You plan on extension?
    Did Your existing heating system will support extra heating space?
    Is there any plumbing, like sink or bath to be fitted?
    single light fittings or recess lights in the rooms?
    phone line,tv etc?
    Carpet floors or tiles?
    Concrete blocks, timber frame or AAC blocks?
    PVC or timber windows, double or triple glazed?
    External plaster or bricks?
    What do You want, a good extension or cheep one?
    We built single storey cheep one for 25k, but it's as cheep as it can be, badly insulated without painting and decorating work.
    That wouldn't pass building regs, so I don't understand the badly insulated part.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    That wouldn't pass building regs, so I don't understand the badly insulated part.

When I first started that project, my first argument was about building regs. etc., but engineer who signs off that job explained, that, if building it self is not up to the new requirements, than extension didn't have to be as well.
    Costumer was looking for cheapest option possible and didn't care building regs or u-values.
    So there's 150mm insulation in the ceiling and 80mm insulated board on the cavity walls.
    As a building technician and background in civil engineering I realise, that there's no point bringing advanced requirements for buildings to Ireland, because most of the people don't have understanding about better quality housing and energy efficiency, they prefer pay less today and than spread your payments, like a loan, instead of pay a bit more now and don't pay in the future.
    Passive housing is getting momentum all over the world, but in Ireland people still building houses like they did 60 years ago.
    How can You build house for future using technology from the past and expect that the price will increase???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

When I first started that project, my first argument was about building regs. etc., but engineer who signs off that job explained, that, if building it self is not up to the new requirements, than extension didn't have to be as well.
    Costumer was looking for cheapest option possible and didn't care building regs or u-values.
    So there's 150mm insulation in the ceiling and 80mm insulated board on the cavity walls.
    As a building technician and background in civil engineering I realise, that there's no point bringing advanced requirements for buildings to Ireland, because most of the people don't have understanding about better quality housing and energy efficiency, they prefer pay less today and than spread your payments, like a loan, instead of pay a bit more now and don't pay in the future.
    Passive housing is getting momentum all over the world, but in Ireland people still building houses like they did 60 years ago.
    How can You build house for future using technology from the past and expect that the price will increase???

:confused:

• Advertisement

Your engineer breeched the Builing Control Act. All new elements of works need to meet current building regulations.

kceire wrote: »
    Your engineer breeched the Builing Control Act. All new elements of works need to meet current building regulations.
    I know, but who's going to complain? Costumer got what he wanted for price he was willing to pay.
    That's what I'm talking about, if people didn't demand better quality and energy efficiency, the new regs. are pointless.
    I as a builder try to promote passive building, but it's very hard to do in Ireland, because there's no support for that and there's no government body who control's compliance with building regulations, only if property changes hands.

I know, but who's going to complain? Costumer got what he wanted for price he was willing to pay.
    That's what I'm talking about, if people didn't demand better quality and energy efficiency, the new regs. are pointless.
    I as a builder try to promote passive building, but it's very hard to do in Ireland, because there's no support for that and there's no government body who control's compliance with building regulations, only if property changes hands.

Then you as a builder should have insisted what they were doing was illegal and in breech of the Act. You could have called your local Buikding Control Office.

Then you as a builder should have insisted what they were doing was illegal and in breech of the Act. You could have called your local Buikding Control Office.
    I have to agree with Kceire, you were aware of the facts and you were still a compliant party breaking the law.
    1. Did you inform the client this was not to building regulations?
    2. Did you send the the engineer a letter outlining your objection?
    3. I wonder had the engineer stated anywhere on the drawings that the 'works must comply with building regulations.
    4. This discussion is not to be disguised behind 'ah sure it's ireland' or 'if only people would pay for things to be done properly'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Does the statement "maybe the homeowner couldnt afford to build to the latest regs" hold any weight?
    It certainly comes up any time i think of doing something to my house and almost always comes up when discussing it with friends.

shedweller wrote: »
    Does the statement "maybe the homeowner couldnt afford to build to the latest regs" hold any weight?
    It certainly comes up any time i think of doing something to my house and almost always comes up when discussing it with friends.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302
    Respect the law

6.1 Any thread/post that is looking for ways to get around the planning process, or building regulations, or any other statutory legislation, or advising somebody to ignore these legislations and regulations, will be deleted and the poster will be banned indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

BryanF wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302
    Respect the law

6.1 Any thread/post that is looking for ways to get around the planning process, or building regulations, or any other statutory legislation, or advising somebody to ignore these legislations and regulations, will be deleted and the poster will be banned indefinitely.

Fair and valid point. But it doesn't change the fact that neither me nor a lot of people can afford to build to these regs. Its like going out and spending a few hundred grand on a concept car that does 2L/100k.
    The result is that we'll just stay where we are and not build anything. Obviously some people that have miraculously gotten mortgages will be able to build to regs but there are an awful lot more out there that are stuck paying existing mortgages on houses that need work. This work will simply not happen the way things are now.
    Makes no difference to me in any case as i bought in 07 and need to do a lot of work to the house. Have kids and all their needs now and in the future has to be taken care of.

Fair and valid point. But it doesn't change the fact that neither me nor a lot of people can afford to build to these regs. Its like going out and spending a few hundred grand on a concept car that does 2L/100k.
    The result is that we'll just stay where we are and not build anything. Obviously some people that have miraculously gotten mortgages will be able to build to regs but there are an awful lot more out there that are stuck paying existing mortgages on houses that need work. This work will simply not happen the way things are now.
    Makes no difference to me in any case as i bought in 07 and need to do a lot of work to the house. Have kids and all their needs now and in the future has to be taken care of.

I understand your point. But in the same sense we done all go out and buy a BMW M5 and then realise we can't not afford the tax and insurance.

So in other words, when saving for the works, wait a bit longer, save a bit more and then build it properly. Your future self will thank your current self.

BryanF wrote: »
    I have to agree with Kceire, you were aware of the facts and you were still a compliant party breaking the law.
    1. Did you inform the client this was not to building regulations?
    2. Did you send the the engineer a letter outlining your objection?
    3. I wonder had the engineer stated anywhere on the drawings that the 'works must comply with building regulations.
    4. This discussion is not to be disguised behind 'ah sure it's ireland' or 'if only people would pay for things to be done properly'
    Costumer was aware and stated, that all he needs is stick with the budget.
    Engineer explained that, because building it self is not up to dates requirements there's no need to build extension with better spec.
    I was just a contractor there, but I clearly stated my opinion on that as I really try to promote passive building standards, but I wasn't the one with the money. That was 100% costumers decision.

At first the costs of passive hose are not as high as people think and savings on energy will cover them, plus quality work will last longer.
    From what I know there was no problems with self build single houses regards quality and building regs., problem was with big developments and new regs. won't make these buildings better, because no one developer will pay for 5-10 site visits to each unit, but will pay maybe 20-50 visits for whole development site, so the possibility of error are greater than on single unit development.
    By the way is there anyone who's going to Munich BAU 2015, it's worth it.

• Advertisement

Costumer was aware and stated, that all he needs is stick with the budget.
    Engineer explained that, because building it self is not up to dates requirements there's no need to build extension with better spec.
    The engineer is incorrect.
    I was just a contractor there, but I clearly stated my opinion on that as I really try to promote passive building standards, but I wasn't the one with the money. That was 100% costumers decision.
    the onus is on you as the contractor to comply with building regulations.

You broke the law

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement