Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feckin weather!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

By the way, you can go out your back garden (or a nearby green with a ball and recreate damp poor lies). I spent loads of time out my tiny back garden during covid to learn how the base of the wedge interacted with the ground. It was practice that I believe stands to me today. Have to say, it's not going to help your ego initially, duffing chip after chip, so try do it in private place. I cook regularly outdoors, and still take a wedge and a ball out with me while waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was hoping to get a game in Doonbeg before the fairway mats were out but they are already doing it now. Disappointed! Not even sure if I’d play for half of the €75 they’re looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Played Laytown & Bettystown there on Saturday.

Having come from parkland golf it was a complete joy to play proper golf again.

Turf bone dry & nice and firm. Greens were like putting on glass to be honest, couldn't get the pace of them at all having come from slow parkland greens.

Wonderful not to have a mudball in sight and be able to play golf the way it's supposed to be played without mats, lift clean and place etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What's the rate they're charging there. Looking at our options for a Winter Matchplay and where we can get full 18 in, on links, in around the Leinster area

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

We paid 60 euro.

As a course i'm not sure it's worth that money. A lot of very samey samey holes but happily would pay it just for the dry/firm conditions this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

This needs to be resurrected. I’m borderline depressed with the incessant rain. It feels like we’ll never have a sunny day or firm fairway again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Unbelievable at this stage. Beyond disappointing really and big issue is if the weather stays like this every year with less playable months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

On the bright side the last few days have been good and St Patrick's day is usually time of the year when the weather turns. But agree it's been dreadful this year and last, I haven't hit a ball since Halloween and have no intention until things improve.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I follow kinsealy driving range on instagram and they have only been able to use machinery to collect balls a couple of times since February 17th. It has been perhaps the wettest weather I can remember for this time of year.

Think I read some place that already more rain has fallen in March than the whole of February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

Some stats from our club on rainfall

January

On the weather front we recorded 122 mm (about 4.8 inches) of rain

February:

On the weather front we recorded 139mm (about 5.47 inches)

No update on march yet but latest post was -"We're only half way through the month of March and already there has been more rainfall than the whole month of February.-Be interesting to see the final figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

It's been a shocking spring for Golf. There were nice days in February but the whole of March has been a washout. I wonder will this affect courses going forward i.e the condition of them especially parkland courses

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah its been pretty shocking this month.

As long as we don't get a July like we did last year. 144mm of rain, more than we got in Jan and Feb combined. 6 times as wet as the year before.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Our course is actually closed today cause of the rain.

Closed at the end of March due to rain. It's a bit depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Lot of courses closed because of the weather, and it will affect what green staff can do aswell in terms of cutting etc...was lucky enough to play in scotland early in March, havnt played since...would courses here benefit from using small matts like they do on a lot of links courses, protects the courses a bit in bad weather, but probably more the traffic that will damage the courses with this weather at the moment

Post edited by CONSI on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Really shows how wet the majority of the golfing season was last year. Hopefully this summer is significantly better.

I'm lucky enough that I play at a course that has only had to close a small handful of days this winter and is still in pretty good conditions considering. But I think a lot of courses will struggle if we have another summer like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Currently snowing and raining (at the same time) in Cork.....

course closed again..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭coillcam

Changing jobs and left a week in between to chill. Booked a trip to Lisbon last minute (ish) to relax and play a little golf.

Got a stomach bug Friday night and was lucky to be able to fly Sunday. Too wasted on Monday to do anything. Pisses rain every day since and herself has the bug as of yesterday.

My mate was in the Algarve recently and rain played havok on his trip but he managed to get out most of the time.

The course at home has been shut too. Is there no end to the rain?!

• Advertisement

Another horrible weekend on the cards when this should be the start of the season for most. It's not making me particularly hopefully for the summer to come.

I hope I'm wrong but I can see a world in 20 years time where the majority of golf is played on simulators with club competitions being replaced with online comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

We have had no counting competitions in our course since mid October, highly unlikely counting comps will start before May for us. Definitely going to be an issue going forward, unlikely to have 6 months of counting comps at parkland courses especially in the south west and south.

The big problem really is many weather experts are saying this is the new pattern, we can expect this every year.

Hard to take when membership fees have increased in most clubs yet we're getting less playable time.

Anyone who's living within an acceptable drive from a links course should get in there while they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah if this is the new norm for the weather then it gets harder to justify membership fees. No links close enough to me to become a member so if it continues this way I may be forced to consider just joing a society or two and getting my golf in that way instead.

Either that or move to Spain but I'm not sure I could convince the Mrs 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Sure they might be closed due to drought over there.

The fact that most places have upped their prices this year kinda sickens me - Between the lack of golf last year and obviously this year already, the jacking up of prices is unjustified and leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Green fee/competition fee intake obviously down, but overheads surely down too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭JVince

Can't see how overheads would be down by any significant amount.

If the club has borrowings, interest rates may have gone up. Utilities are still higher than 2021, but thankfully lower than last 2 years. Staff costs would be up but with some saving on staff being needed, it's probably evened out overall. Insurance, rates, waste collection, and other costs are up too.

If green fees and competition fees are down, then there will likely be a hole in the accounts that needs to be filled by an increase in membership cost.

To be fair id say increases are justified, we can see in our everyday lives the cost of everything is increased. The course still has to be maintained regardless of course being open or not. It's just extremely frustrating, like already it's a certainty that the course won't be open Saturday with the forecast. And then even if it improves on Sunday weather wise the damage done Saturday won't allow it. So it's another weekend written off.

But sure it doesn’t matter - if clubs are flying it they also raise membership costs, which we know well is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Depends on the club. If it's members owned then the members decide what happens with subscription fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭REFLINE1

jesus this rain in relentless. Played four rounds in Portugal recently and if it wasn't for that i think i might have had a break down

• Advertisement

Front 9 only today at my club and it's still soaking wet. Zero run on the ball, drive will just stop dead as soon as it hits the turf.

It's gonna be weeks before we get qualifying I'd say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got soaked again yesterday, and plugged balls a plently. Really getting sick of it tbh, and there's no end in sight. Have another matchplay match on Tuesday, and chances are the club will be closed again, at least going by the forecast.

If we get another summer like last year, it will really make some people reconsider the costs of being a club member.

Going to be torture watching Augusta in glorious conditions while we are still playing winter rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

lost several balls from being plugged the other day. Would honestly drive you bonkers. At this rate the golf season will be only be 6 months long. If we’re lucky

Infuriating when you know the ball is in a good location, probably edge of the fairway, and it's nowhere to be found when you get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

I do honestly believe there should be some rule around this if the score is counting, i.e. placing on fairway. Playing partners can all agree and move on. The time wasted on looking for plugged balls recently is a pain.

I did see where in the US (not comps I think), they use a 2 stroke penalty from an OB marker if you cannot find it when you get there to help speed things up. I think the R&A/USGA should look at consolidating that to speed things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭coillcam

The first point is open to abuse. Swampy areas of courses that are normally benign are hoovering up plugged balls. It's not really golf if your ball should be sitting there ordinarily.

The biblical levels of rain over the last 6 months have just compounded the problem. Last year we were all getting ready for counting golf.

On point two I disagree with this idea for anything that's going to be recorded for a handicap/comp. It's easy for someone to smack another ball OB straight after when they re-tee. I would know, I've been known to do it occasionally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That rules was introduced years back but as a local rule, so up to each club to implement

Looks like my club is going ahead with reintroduction counting but a few new local rules introduced. We have a couple of holes with sections of the fairway marked off as do not play due to very soft conditions. Any balls landing there you get a free drop out and if it plugs in those areas specifically/GUR and can't be found but all people in the group agree it went in, you can do a free drop outside it.

Preferred lies on the fairway, lift clean and replace in other areas. Almost complete winter rules expect it is now just replace in the rough rather than a preferred lies.

• Advertisement

Does replace in the rough mean it has to go exactly where you picked it up from? Is there any sort of lie you'd get relief from?

You are supposed to replace it exactly where you picked it up from in the rough, just the ability to clean the ball due to mud. But of course that is wide open for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

We have played this all through the winter and yes it is open to abuse as if doing correctly you are actually putting your ball back in the depression in the rough it makes. If I cant see mud on the ball i play as it lies. During our handicap review where Golf Ireland visit the club our Handicap and comp secretaries strenuously made the point that Golf Ireland want clubs to play counting rounds where ever possible and that this was obviously not happening at the vast majority of clubs. We got a shrug of the shoulders type response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You'd still get the normal relief for a ball embedded in it's own plug-mark under lift, clean and REplace, I would assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Only hope is things pick up by the middle of April...been a terrible Spring but summer only a few weeks away. May normally one of the best months to play golf....

Fingers crossed, watching the Masters this week will have everyone bursting for a game

if its not the rain its the wind. Open comp cancelled in Co. Sligo tomorrow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Was some wind this morning alright.

Not sure what sort of wind closes a course it was wild this morning and got stronger as the day went on. Still howling out there and to be similar in morning

I went out there to try and play 9 holes and just called it quits after 5. Serious wind.

Hitting driver as hard as I dared and the ball was still only going 150 yards into the wind at best. 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I played 9 this evening. Quite windy but not dangerous. It was nice and warm though and the course was drying up rapidly.

Advertisement