Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Runners

Options
  • 29-12-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Happy Christmas!

So as the title says I'm in the market for new runners. Up to now I've been wearing €20 runners from Lidl/Aldi while doing 5-8 mile a few times a week.

I joined my local running club a few months back and now my intention is to take it all a bit more seriously come January and hopefully get into a marathon program with the club.

So more serious running requires more serious runners!

I have a budget of about €100, is this enough to get me something decent or do I need to push it out a touch more? What brands would people recommend?

I'm about an hour away from Galway but thinking of making the trip to Amphibian King as I've only read good things about them.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

BullBauld wrote: »
    Happy Christmas!

So as the title says I'm in the market for new runners. Up to now I've been wearing €20 runners from Lidl/Aldi while doing 5-8 mile a few times a week.

I joined my local running club a few months back and now my intention is to take it all a bit more seriously come January and hopefully get into a marathon program with the club.

So more serious running requires more serious runners!

I have a budget of about €100, is this enough to get me something decent or do I need to push it out a touch more? What brands would people recommend?

I'm about an hour away from Galway but thinking of making the trip to Amphibian King as I've only read good things about them.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bull

You might have to stretch a little more than €100, maybe another €20/30. That one hour trip will be well worth it. You'll get the best advice from people who run themselves. When you know what shoe type/ brand and size in a particular brand you are, you can then maybe shop around online next time you're purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There are a few decent options in your budget range to start with. Average is around the €120-130 mark but we won't stop you trying out the ranges and finding something you like.

I'd be biased in saying its worth the trip. ;)

Delighted to hear you are hearing good things, come on over and I'll look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

AKW wrote: »
    There are a few decent options in your budget range to start with. Average is around the €120-130 mark but we won't stop you trying out the ranges and finding something you like.

I'd be biased in saying its worth the trip. ;)

Delighted to hear you are hearing good things, come on over and I'll look after you.

Yea could probably stretch to that if it was worth it, will see.
    Cool, Will get over to you Saturday then. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Definitely worth the trip, especially for your first "proper" pair.

I was in an outlet store recently and even though there was great value on offer, the "certified running expert" was giving me plainly wrong information but luckily I knew enough to realise they were full of crap and ignored their advice.

Never been to AKW myself but hear nothing only good reports about it and hope to make the trip myself some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I think when if comes to running equipment you can always find bargains. I got my Dad a pair of Adidas Boost on sale for €55 on the adidas website. I saw the same pair in Elverys for €110 the other day. If you keep a eye out you should get a good pair of running shoes at a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

It'll be worth the trip to AK to get a pair IMO.
    I was in a sports shop yesterday and heard a man looking for a support runner to be told he'd be better off with a neutral runner and custom insoles, there's a lot of bullsh1tters out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

€100 should be plenty to spend this time of the year with sales on.
    Better to look for good advise than seek a bargain in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I had to go to Dundrum on Saturday so I called into the guys in Ballymount instead of hitting Galway.

I was brought through everything by a sound young man from Galway!

It was very interesting to see the way I run, the way my foot acts when it hits the ground. I have a slight pronation, moreso on the left but nothing too bad either.

Tried on a few different runners and eventually went for the Brooks Ravenna 6. The most comfortable fit. Just can't wait to give them their first outing.

So very happy with my purchase and the service I received.

Advertisement