Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivetrain & general bike cleaning

• 29-12-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    any recommendations for bike cleaning esp the chain and cassette, have a Canyon with Campag Chorus mech.
    whats the Muc-off gear like and their chain cleaner? or do i need anything special?

chhers and happy new yr.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Muc-off is all i use, i've been using it for years, hose the bike, spray muc-off, wait 3 mins, hose bike again, dry the bike, lube chain, job done,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I wipe off the cassette, chain and chainrings regularly keeping the drivetrain reasonably clean and I generally stay away from typical winter lubes.

For occasional chain through clean I use kerosene. Very effective and cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Paintbrush and citrus degreaser. Warm soapy water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

thelawman wrote: »
    , spray muc-off, wait 3 mins, hose bike again,

BANG. And the dirt is gone.

Unfortunately that spray-wait-rinse fairytale has never worked so magically for me. :(

It's more of a spray-wait-rinse-respray-scrub-rinse-respray-scrubsomemore-rinse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yeah that spray and rinse craic is only for the lightest dirt.

Spray on muc off and then scrub it with soapy water. 2 sponges one for the oily bits and the other for the shiney bits :)

Lube the chain and wipe off any excess. I clean it off straight after every ride otherwise I know I'd leave it go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

I've tried muc off, and found it to be utterly useless, doesn't move wet lube, even with scrubbing. I use this http://www.autoglym.com/products/products/engine-and-machine-cleaner and find it brilliant for the whole bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

A spray of diesel on a cloth for the drive train....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Another vote for diesel.
    Actually must do the whole lot in the next day or two.
    Diesel, bit Tupperware container to soak chain, jockey wheels, chainrings etc.
    Then quick scrub with wife's toothbrush. Jobs a goodun'.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I use white spirit for cleaning the chain and cassette-basically take off the chain and cassette, stick them in zip loc bags, throw in a bit of white spirit, leave to soak while cleaning the rest of the bike and then take out and wipe.

Advertisement