Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VGA to HDMI - cable or adaptor / issues

• 29-12-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I had a HDMI to HDMI cable for my last laptop. I just noticed that my current laptop only has a VGA port. (Pfffffff.)

I'm wondering would I be better off getting a new cable, or just a converter. Also, I'm away from next month and I *think* the TV has a HDMI port, but, if it doesn't, would I be better getting one HDMI to VGA converter, and one universal HDMI converter. Or am I just bastardising the whole thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How did you manage to go from a laptop with HDMI to one with no HDMI?

And if you previously had a HDMI to HDMI cable to connect your old laptop, how come you're saying that you only '*think*' the TV has a HDMI port?

Anyway, it's not a matter of a simple 'cable', the VGA signal contains video only and unless your TV has a VGA port, you will need to buy a converter into which you will feed the VGA (video) signal plus the audio feed from the laptop headset socket (3.5mm jack). That converter will have a HDMI socket from which you connect to the TV.

If your TV does have a VGA port then nearby will be a 3.5mm jack socket so you would need a simple VGA to VGA cable plus an audio cable with a 3.5mm jack plug at each end for the audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

coylemj wrote: »
    How did you manage to go from a laptop with HDMI to one with no HDMI?

And if you previously had a HDMI to HDMI cable to connect your old laptop, how come you're saying that you only '*think*' the TV has a HDMI port?

Anyway, it's not a matter of a simple 'cable', the VGA signal contains video only and unless your TV has a VGA port, you will need to buy a converter into which you will feed the VGA (video) signal plus the audio feed from the laptop headset socket (3.5mm jack). That converter will have a HDMI socket from which you connect to the TV.

If your TV does have a VGA port then nearby will be a 3.5mm jack socket so you would need a simple VGA to VGA cable plus an audio cable with a 3.5mm jack plug at each end for the audio.

Cheers. I'm using my work laptop after my own one died, which is a good one, but I guess they didn't bother speccing for HDMI. My own TV has a HDMI port, but I'm away from next month and I'm not 100% on what ports the tv in the place I'm staying has.

I have a double jack cable that I use between my speaker system here and my laptop, so, if the next tv doesn't have a VGA port but only a HDMI one, could I get a converter and go VGA to HDMI in conjunction with the jack cable for audio?

Thanks for your reply!

...if the next tv doesn't have a VGA port but only a HDMI one, could I get a converter and go VGA to HDMI in conjunction with the jack cable for audio?

If you're asking: 'can I run the audio straight from the PC to the TV', the answer is 'no' because you will have to select a particular HDMI port on the TV in which case both audio and video have to be coming in on that HDMI cable i.e. you'll have to combine the video and audio in the converter and pump both signals down the HDMI cable to the TV.

A lot of VGA to HDMI converters have an audio feed on the input side, it may be a 3.5mm jack or left and right phono sockets. On eBay and similar sites there are lots of simple cables and adapters claiming to do what you want, don't touch anything that doesn't use the word 'converter'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

coylemj wrote: »
    If you're asking: 'can I run the audio straight from the PC to the TV', the answer is 'no' because you will have to select a particular HDMI port on the TV in which case both audio and video have to be coming in on that HDMI cable i.e. you'll have to combine the video and audio in the converter and pump both signals down the HDMI cable to the TV.

A lot of VGA to HDMI converters have an audio feed on the input side, it may be a 3.5mm jack or left and right phono sockets. On eBay and similar sites there are lots of simple cables and adapters claiming to do what you want, don't touch anything that doesn't use the word 'converter'.

Ok - I get you. Cheers! Was a bit confused about what Prof Google was telling me, so I appreciate your advice. I had hoped to pick up something before heading off through Adverts or something, but I suppose I'm better off waiting to see what connections I have in the apartment over there.

So - either a VGA port on the tv that I can use with a VGA to VGA and then a seperate jack cable for audio. Otherwise a single cable with connections for both VGA and jack from the laptop -> HDMI on the tv.

Thanks again. :)

Otherwise a single cable with connections for both VGA and jack from the laptop -> HDMI on the tv.

No, no, no, no, you're not paying attention.

Not a 'cable', a CONVERTER.

The VGA and audio signals coming out of a laptop are analog (waves) whereas a HDMI signal is digital (zeros and ones), an adapter or cable will not cut it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement