Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is today a bank holiday?

• 29-12-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭

Sorry I know it sounds a stupid question but all the banks I've gone to and passed today are closed , yet some offices are open today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Nope, today isn't a bank Holiday. Most banks are just closed today for a longer holiday. AIB reopens tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

thomasj wrote: »
    Sorry I know it sounds a stupid question but all the banks I've gone to and passed today are closed , yet some offices are open today.

Banks just enjoy working short days 10.30am to 4 pm and long holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

Banks have the first working day after St Stephens day off each year. Not a public / bank holiday as such but they are all closed.

Bank holiday: maybe
    Public holiday: no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Haven't watched this in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Today is a bank holiday but it's not a public holiday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Negative equity heads will be along shortly to have a whinge about banking holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Today is a Bank Holiday; not a public holiday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Today is a bank holiday, but not a public holiday. At Christmas the banks are closed on Christmas Day, St. Stephen's Day and the next working day. Should the 25th or 26th be a weekend then the next working day(s) are bank holidays in lieu. New Year's Day is also a bank holiday, so this week the banks will be open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Today is a bank holiday but it's not a public holiday

What this guy says ^^^

It's like Good Friday. Some (most?) businesses are open but banks are never ever open on GF

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Straylight wrote: »
    Today is a bank holiday, but not a public holiday. At Christmas the banks are closed on Christmas Day, St. Stephen's Day and the next working day. Should the 25th or 26th be a weekend then the next working day(s) are bank holidays in lieu. New Year's Day is also a bank holiday, so this week the banks will be open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

I gave you an thanks by accident while I was reading the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I gave you an thanks by accident while I was reading the thread.
    Way to burst the poor bugger's bubble.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Bank holiday: maybe
    Today is a bank holiday
    Gyalist wrote: »
    Today is a Bank Holiday;
    Today is a bank holiday,

Today is a bank holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Yep. Bank holiday alright. Even stuff like DDs, SOs and transfers are at a standstill until tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Today is a bank holiday

I'd like to disagree and say it's a pubic holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

According to BofI its a bank holiday and as a result, money doesn't move.

http://businessbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/css076371-bank-holidays-2014.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I must have to say, my bank - aib - has been brilliant to me. A few days before Christmas fraudulent transactions came up on my account draining my funds. My local bank and it's staff was brilliant at helping me. And even throughout the Christmas and all with a 24 hour number. Season's greetings to all at AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Today IS a bank holiday. It's not a Public Holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Today is a holiday for banks.
    Today is not a bank holiday.

Mind blown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Gandalph wrote: »

Mind blown.

It's not a public holiday.

It's the same as good Friday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Tis a bank persons holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I was able to call into my bank today but it is an English one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gandalph wrote: »

Mind blown.
    Bank holiday is just a colloquial term in Ireland, one I wish would be done away with to avoid all this confusion.
    Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Tis a bank persons holiday
    I expect some are working in banks today. I know a few people who work in banks and have worked on good friday.

I expect there is nothing to stop them opening today, just like chippers could have opened on christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Nope, today isn't a bank Holiday. Most banks are just closed today for a longer holiday. AIB reopens tomorrow.

Jeez this comes up every year. Yes it is a bank holiday but it is not a public holiday.

bankers getting an extra holiday over us ordinary workers rabble rabble :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Yes. It's the same every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Banks just enjoy working short days 10.30am to 4 pm and long holidays :)

Some open from 9.30 - 4.30.
    The staff all work a 9.00 - 5.00 day and often longer.
    Loads of people I know in non-bank jobs are not back to work until 2 January or 5 January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mikemac1 wrote: »
    bankers getting an extra holiday over us ordinary workers rabble rabble :mad:
    no they don't, they have the same 20 days annual leave as "ordinary workers".

Most of the places in the industrial estate I work in would be closed today, you don't hear people asking if its a "buildings supplier holiday" and moaning that those building supplier workers get an extra holiday.

Most people would prefer to be able to select their own days of annual leave. Most are forced to take them around christmas, and from people I know the ones in banks typically have less of these forced holidays.

I hate being forced to take up to 5 days of annual leave at this time of year, esp. as so many public holidays are around the same time. What I hate even more is people saying I "am lucky" and how they are jealous, FFS if you think its so great why did you not put in for 10 days off around christmas 12 months ago. People seem to have this idea that the days off are not out of annual leave. Some companies might give the likes of good friday off without taking annual leave, in which case thats a form of bonus.

• Advertisement

I wasn't being serious :o I added rabble rabble sure and this is AH, not politics forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Some open from 9.30 - 4.30.
    The staff all work a 9.00 - 5.00 day and often longer.
    Loads of people I know in non-bank jobs are not back to work until 2 January or 5 January.

Permanent tsb in tyrrelstown opening hours are

Monday. Closed
    Tuesday 1:00-5:00 p.m.
    Wednesday 1:00-5:00 p.m.
    Thursday 12:30-7:00 p.m.
    Friday 12:30-5:00 p.m.
    Saturday 10:00-3:00 p.m.
    Sunday Closed

Not something you normally see in a bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They're fecking laughing all the way to the bank.

No wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Them shower that do be running banks are awful dossers altogether

Advertisement