Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminal Block in the ceiling - is it safe

Options
  • 29-12-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone advise me as to whether an Electrical Connector Terminal Block like in the link below is safe in a ceiling?
    http://www.towsure.com/product/15A_Connector_Strip

I had to extend a few wires (live and neutral) for a downstairs ceiling lamp and pushed these back up into the hole in the ceiling to make room for the lamp (the lamp came with it's own ceiling rose and flex). Just wondering now if they are safe like that or should they be contained in a junction box.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

lway wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me as to whether an Electrical Connector Terminal Block like in the link below is safe in a ceiling?

No, it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Thanks, figured as much, would a junction box around it be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

lway wrote: »
    Thanks, figured as much, would a junction box around it be ok?

They would often be put inside an obo box at light fittings etc.

But they are not highly dangerous in a ceiling space without a box, but they should be enclosed.

I wouldn't recommend using junction boxes buried under floorboards though, where they are hard to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

+1 above, the coffin obo box with the seal link is the job, you get the connectors in it that you'd need.

something like this

http://webelec.ie/product_info.php?cPath=29_60&products_id=411

Advertisement