Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch fuse off - Alarm goes off

Options
  • 29-12-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

Need to do some electrical socket work in a bedroom (add a socket). If I turn off the fuse at the board for the sockets in that bedroom, the house alarm goes off. The keypad to the alarm seems to be on the same line as power to the keyboard is lost if I switch off that fuse.

The main alarm board is in the garage, I disconnected the battery but the alarm still goes off if that fuse is switched off.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Need to do some electrical socket work in a bedroom (add a socket). If I turn off the fuse at the board for the sockets in that bedroom, the house alarm goes off. The keypad to the alarm seems to be on the same line as power to the keyboard is lost if I switch off that fuse.

The main alarm board is in the garage, I disconnected the battery but the alarm still goes off if that fuse is switched off.

Any ideas?

Did you disconnect the battery before or after you turned off the power?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I tried both. I disconnected the battery, flipped the fuse, alarm goes off, flip fuse back on again, alarm stops.
    reconnect battery, flip use, alarm goes off.

Keypad is saying battery is low. Its old alarm, Im in the house 12 years and it was here when we got here.

On the config on the keypad, The default engineers code still works so I got in with that but I dont see anything to permanently disable.

Is it worth disconnecting any of the wires on the control board in the garage for the alarm? amongst other things theres
    aux power
    external bell
    internal bell
    self activatin bell tamper loop

small addition, I had new windows put in the house couple of years ago and the alarms been disconnected ever since, been meaning to get a new wireless one in so I dont really care if this alarm is disconnected for good so I can do what I want to it.

edit: small bit more reading, may be more cost effective to get a new battery and put sensors on this one so completely ignore the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The reason your alarm is activating is because your back up battery is knackered.

Any way I can knock it off without a replacement battery? I rang around for an electrical suppliers but they're all closed tip next week. None of the retail hardware stores do the batteries that I could find.
    I have the fuse on now so obviously alarm is on but wanted to do get that work done before end of week. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Any way I can knock it off without a replacement battery? I rang around for an electrical suppliers but they're all closed tip next week. None of the retail hardware stores do the batteries that I could find.
    I have the fuse on now so obviously alarm is on but wanted to do get that work done before end of week. Thanks.

Disconnect the battery in the bell box, or use tape over the speaker to muffle the sound. You would need to remove the bell box cover to do this which may trigger a tamper alarm while you do this, wear earplugs.

Advertisement