Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amount of firearms

Options
  • 29-12-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am just wondering how many firearms can we kept in a home without an alarm.I done a search on line and found that a person can have upto 6 unrestricted without an alarm.A dealer tells me that 4 or more and an alarm is required.Now im looking to get a .243 for deer and fox shooting but i already have a shotgun and a .22lr and my father has a shotgun now i dont want the hassle of an alarm can someone please fill me in and if there is asmall alarm kit available easy fitted and cheap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If you have 4 unrestricted you need a bell alarm, 6+ unrestricted you need a monitored alarm.

These are minimums though, your super may demand that you get a monitored alarm even if you have less than 6.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From the BIG RED announcement at the top of the main page:

Level | Amount/Type of Firearms | Minimum Security Requirements |
    1 | One non-restricted shot-gun. | The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock. |
    2 | One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms. | Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. |
    3 | Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. | Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621. |
    4 | Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. | In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities. |

As said above these are MINIMUM requirements and as such the Super/Chief Super may demand level four security for one shotgun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

the best bit of advice I can give you is , talk to your firearms officer and explain what you plan, and get them to ask the Super, it will depend on their decision, I have 1 firearm but had to put in an non monitored alarm before he would grant my pistol licence it being my 2nd firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

Ok thanks very much

Advertisement