Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training new pup, advice needed...

• 29-12-2014 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just got this 10 week old pup, he's a collie/terrier mix.

2f0ahok.jpg

I got him from a sanctuary, they gave him his first round of vaccinations, worming and flea dose but I just want some advice on toilet training.

I have been putting paper down and he does go on it sometimes (very hit and miss) but other times he just drops loads anywhere, even his bed. Wee and sh!t.

Basically just looking for advice on some of the best techniques for toilet training properly as I want to get him trained while he's young.

Also, any advice on stopping him nipping would be appreciated because for 10 weeks old he doesn't half back a decent bite when he leans on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

We had a pup years ago and took him out after eatting and even every 15-20 mins all day and give him big praise when he goes. Keep him close to you inside and watch for signs he's going to go and get him out quickly. Good luck.

2f0ahok.jpg

I got him from a sanctuary, they gave him his first round of vaccinations, worming and flea dose but I just want some advice on toilet training.

I have been putting paper down and he does go on it sometimes (very hit and miss) but other times he just drops loads anywhere, even his bed. Wee and sh!t.

Basically just looking for advice on some of the best techniques for toilet training properly as I want to get him trained while he's young.

Also, any advice on stopping him nipping would be appreciated because for 10 weeks old he doesn't half back a decent bite when he leans on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You need to take him outside after eating or drinking, or when he starts sniffing around, and wait for him to go then (as he's going) giving a cue like 'go pee' which will enable you to in future take him out and tell him you need him to pee, then giving a lovely treat and lots of praise. He's hit and miss on the paper because he's a dog, he has no idea what the paper is for. Not only that but by putting paper down you are training him to toilet in the house and making a rod for your own back.

As for the nipping - squeal every time he does it then turn your back on him and refuse to play for at least 5 minutes. This is what his littermates would do and it'll teach him that if he uses his teeth you won't play with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

What a stunning pup!! I have a new collie cross here, she'll be with me a week tomorrow, we think she is crossed with either a shepherd or a husky.. stunning girl :)

Anyway back to toilet training, I really started with my newbie on Stephens day which was a wet horrible day but I went out every 15/20 minutes for the whole day and gave her a bit of chicken every time she peed/pood and by yesterday she was sitting by the door when she needed to go out! so far today (touch wood) we haven't had a single incident indoors :D I know I still have months of work ahead of me but I am seriously impressed who quickly this lady is getting it. :D

It is bloody hard work and I am living for her naps at the moment so I can spend 5 minutes chilling out on the couch but it will be worth it in the end. I have a week at home with my baby before I go back to work so am working hard with her :)

Good luck with your new baby

Edit: wanted to add a photo of my baby
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j18nxx06y0lnau4/10690318_10205384492392285_5742579884148586858_n.jpg?dl=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Get rid of the paper first off, all that does is tell your pup that sometimes it's okay to go inside. After your pup eats or drinks, take them outside within about 15 minutes and stay outside and beside them until they go, when you shower them with praise. Remember, leaving them to their own devices or just letting them out does NOT equal toilet training. Also, do not give your pup full run of the house. The more space they have, the more opportunity to have an accident without you spotting it. Keep them contained where you can see them all the time and as soon as you notice them showing signs, or even starting to go, straight outside with them and praise when they finish. Do not slap or shout at your pup for accidents in the house, even if they are currently in the act.

And remember, it takes more than a few days, sometimes even months for dogs to be fully housetrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Get rid of the paper first off, all that does is tell your pup that sometimes it's okay to go inside. After your pup eats or drinks, take them outside within about 15 minutes and stay outside and beside them until they go, when you shower them with praise. Remember, leaving them to their own devices or just letting them out does NOT equal toilet training. Also, do not give your pup full run of the house. The more space they have, the more opportunity to have an accident without you spotting it. Keep them contained where you can see them all the time and as soon as you notice them showing signs, or even starting to go, straight outside with them and praise when they finish. Do not slap or shout at your pup for accidents in the house, even if they are currently in the act.

And remember, it takes more than a few days, sometimes even months for dogs to be fully housetrained.

How do you tell them its wrong? Our new puppy is trying to bang down a temporaryt divide we have between the kitchen and dining area and trying in vain to get her to stop :D

• Advertisement

How do you tell them its wrong? Our new puppy is trying to bang down a temporaryt divide we have between the kitchen and dining area and trying in vain to get her to stop :D

This might sound odd, but you don't tell them it's wrong ;)
    The key to successful, safe and pleasant house-training is to only tell them when they are right and ignore them when they are wrong.

Think of it this way - if you were in school and had an hourly spelling test and the teacher just ridiculed and embarrassed you every time you got it wrong, but another teacher gave you a big bag of sweets and no homework for getting it right, which do you think would encourage you to spell better? :o

She might be bored in the contained area or very lonely if she has just been taken from her mama and siblings :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How new is your pup? And how secure is the divide?
    If you've only had her a matter of days, then this behaviour most certainly isn't "wrong" or an attempt to be bold, so correcting it is not the way to go. If she's a new pup, on her own for the first time, then trying to re-establish contact with you is all she wants, and she's feeling stressed about this new-found solitude. Giving out to her, or attempting to correct her, will increase her stress at a very sensitive time in her psychological development.
    Assuming she's a new 8-12 week old pup, you might consider crating her and bringing her into your room at night for now, gradually moving her out of the room as she settles with time. Pups need to be very gradually acclimatised to solitude, and the old method of leaving them to cry or scratch it out is potentially quite damaging to them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

DBB wrote: »
    How new is your pup? And how secure is the divide?
    If you've only had her a matter of days, then this behaviour most certainly isn't "wrong" or an attempt to be bold, so correcting it is not the way to go. If she's a new pup, on her own for the first time, then trying to re-establish contact with you is all she wants, and she's feeling stressed about this new-found solitude. Giving out to her, or attempting to correct her, will increase her stress at a very sensitive time in her psychological development.
    Assuming she's a new 8-12 week old pup, you might consider crating her and bringing her into your room at night for now, gradually moving her out of the room as she settles with time. Pups need to be very gradually acclimatised to solitude, and the old method of leaving them to cry or scratch it out is potentially quite damaging to them :(

Took the divide down in the end and we got a great sleep, didnt wake until 7:30am so job done :D

She is now deciding to **** in that area so thats next step to sort that but the most important thing was not annoying the neighbours so job done. SHe only got her injections yesterday so we couldnt take her out or anything so it was probably a case of being very bored. Shes 12 weeks old, we only have her 5 days now so all seems to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

How often are ye taking her out to go to the toilet during the night OP? Puppies can't hold it for very long at all and hate having to toilet near their bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Cocolola wrote: »
    How often are ye taking her out to go to the toilet during the night OP? Puppies can't hold it for very long at all and hate having to toilet near their bed.

Taking him out every couple of hours or so during the day, at night not so much as he sleeps well through the night.

the pissing is the hardest to time, he goes sporadically and often makes it his business to actually go on his bed for some reason.

Also I have him on Purina BETA puppy brand which I dont think is agreeing with him so ill change that soon to Burns puppy.

• Advertisement

Still having trouble toilet training him, hes been wetting his bed consistently, not just at night.

Even though hes left out first thing in the morning and several times throughout the day he still waits to go inside no matter how long I wait outside with him. The moment hes brought back inside he will go, the other day I brought him back from his walk and left him out in the garden before I brought him back in and the moment I leave him in he goes up to his bed for a wee.

Any advice? Ive had to bath him several times due to him sleeping in his on piss.

Well the first thing I'd suggest is a new bed to get rid of any residue scent. Then you'll have to start from scratch. The paper (and bed) are encouragements for going indoors, where he might at this stage think he is supposed to go. If he needs to pee, eventually he will go outside if you wait long enough. Dont play with him or engage him when out there and obviously dont put him out on his own or just stand at the door and wait. Outside is fun and can be distracting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Wetting the bed is unusual. I'd take him to the vet for a check. Could be any one of a number of things and it can't hurt to have them ruled out. Either way it's early days and it can take a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

The moment hes brought back inside he will go, the other day I brought him back from his walk and left him out in the garden before I brought him back in and the moment I leave him in he goes up to his bed for a wee.

Any advice? Ive had to bath him several times due to him sleeping in his on piss.

In that case where you have come back from a walk and left your dog in the back garden on its own to go to the toilet that is not going work.

You need to take your dog out into the back garden, stay with him and use a command to encourage him to go. It is important that he is bought in and out of the house to go to the toilet and not just left to his own devices in the back garden. This is partly how he learns to distinguish between the house and outdoors. (I know you don't do this all the time.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

ohbygod wrote: »
    I trained my pup by bringing him outside every half hour telling him go to the toilet. He rarely pee in the house when he did, i stuck his nose in it out brought him outside. Now he goes to the door and wags his tail when he wants to go. It took around 2 weeks. He was very good

I didn't think anybody did that anymore? I wouldn't do it to my dogs. Not a nice experience for any dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I only did it the once he learned quickly

Poor dog, would you stick your childs nose into its own pee? Disgraceful that people will still do this kind of outdated, barbaric thing to their pet. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Everyone is differant

No they aren't. That's called cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

andreac wrote: »
    Poor dog, would you stick your childs nose into its own pee? Disgraceful that people will still do this kind of outdated, barbaric thing to their pet. :mad:

But it's not a child. It's a dog. There are significant differences.

One time is not exactly barbaric. Agreed that it's outdated and ill advised but no need to over react.

As an aside, the OP is looking for advise on the matter. You could take the opportunity to educate them without the attitude. Taking swipes at them serves no purpose at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If people have an issue with the way a thread is going, please report it to the mods. Taking matters into your own hands is back-seat moderating.
    That said, can everyone just tone down the screechiness please, and explain to the poster why things like sticking a dog's nose into its pee is unacceptable.
    Thanks,
    DBB

I do stay with him in the garden i could be there all day with him at times and hed wait until he comes back in to go, he literally goes anywhere, I had to bath him again this mornig as he was soaked in piss from laying in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You can buy something called a pee post for your garden, it's a wee plastic thing that goes into the ground and to a dog it smells of strangers' wee. It may encourage him to go when you have him outside.

kylith wrote: »
    You can buy something called a pee post for your garden, it's a wee plastic thing that goes into the ground and to a dog it smells of strangers' wee. It may encourage him to go when you have him outside.

Are you serious? That is probably the most fabulous thing I have ever heard! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I do stay with him in the garden i could be there all day with him at times and hed wait until he comes back in to go, he literally goes anywhere, I had to bath him again this mornig as he was soaked in piss from laying in it.

Could you soak up/collect some of the wee and pour it outside where you want him to go then keep lifting him onto that spot to encourage him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chefward

First off

Advertisement