Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft Picks Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Another World Cup and Euros winner to beef up the spine of my team.

Chelsea's French legend who has graced every big stage there is to grace...

Marcel Desailly.

28636_front.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

is it my pick again. sorry got no pm but may be due to poor internet connection

matthew le tissier

can someone pm the next aswell as struggling here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

With my 4th pick I'm going to bring some pace into the team. This Dutchman had a 1 in 4 goals record from the wing for Arsenal and didn't shy away when the big games came. His play in his 3 seasons at Arsenal prompted Barcelona to pay £25m for him after those 3 seasons, huge money back then. I give you Marc Overmars.

overmars1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Probably the next best flying Dutch winger who spent 3 seasons in the league before going to one of Spain's big two.
    robben-205.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

With my fourth pick I select

Sami Hyypia

article-0-0263274B000004B0-737_468x286.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Wow pretty amazed this guy hasn't been picked yet a dominant CB turned into one of the most devastating RB's the Premier league has seen with 16 goals in his time so far more than some wingers!

A commanding brute with a great physical presence and a fantastic player to have on set pieces, I choose the captain of Serbia.

Branislav Ivanović

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQenBlYRXaDy5dp9BCOc8_-eSfd77wlZj347D-EmPE-JP_YW4e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Difficult pick, but I choose Freddie Ljungberg.

Freddie-Ljungberg.png

Wingers seem to be flying out at the moment so can't imagine he would last till my next pick. Premier League player of the year in 2002, part of the invincibles and knew how to chip in with goals from midfield. Probably the best right winger remaining who hasn't been selected, him and Giggs should be a hand full for most full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Javier Mascherano. An elite shield for a back four during his premiership years full of athleticism and hard tackling. The creativity will come from elsewhere.

John Terry (C)
    Javier Mascherano
    David Silva
    Ruud Van Nisteelroy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

My next pick is the silky Frenchman whose skills mesmerized fans of Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Bolton, West Bromwich and Chelsea. Elegant, sleek, with such deceptive pace and quite sublime technique, he would have a reputation for being a bit of a (le) sulk but, in particular at Chelsea, we saw the very best of him here in England. My pick is of course, Nicolas Anelka.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'll go for Gary Neville. Not just the most consistent and decorated right back of the Premier League era, he was also a great leader and organiser at the back.

GaryNeveille.jpg

Shearer
    Schmeichel
    Bergkamp
    Neville

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

My next pick is the enforcer Gary McAllister.

Intelligent creative scorer of great and important goals. He'll be the playmaker in my midfield absolute gem for my forward players to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For my striker how about a world cup winner, a european cup winner and one of Germanys greatest ever strikers, Jurgen Klinsmann! He only had one season of note in the Premier league but what a season it was! 20 league goals with 29 in all competitions but he was far more than a goal scorer, as a striker he had everything and will be an excellent foil for Cristiano Ronaldo.

His influence on the Premier league cannot be denied. The likes of Cantona had been troublesome drifters when they arrived here, it was Klinsmann who was the first world class superstar to move to the Premier league despite having his pick of the Italian clubs, he paved the way for the foreign invasion that shaped the Premier league.

One of the few in this draft to be named on the FIFA list of the 125 greatest living footballers, delighted to have this guy on my team!

ETA: How could I forget, he was named as the football writers player of the year in that season! What an impact!

article-0-000C5CD600000258-198_468x388.jpg

My team: Stam, Irwin, Ronaldo, Klinsmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Was convinced this guy was going to be picked over the last few picks, time to bring a quality winger into my side and the premier league hasn't had many better than this guy. An incredible player for Liverpool before getting a move to Real Madrid and becoming the first English player to win the champions league with a foreign club, also getting man of the match in the champions league final. Delighted to get him for my team......

Steve McMacmanaman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Perfect partner for Sol Campbell, vital for United in winning 4/5 of the first PL seasons....

Gary Pallister

Unfortunately Rushden snatched McManaman away from me two picks ago. I was going to treat you all to a wonderful technical tippy tappy trio operating behind Van Nisteelroy. :( Now to plan B...

Paul Ince

You can't have the ball, it's mine. :) If Ince had stayed at Utd another couple of seasons rather than going to Inter and continued his form of 1992 - 1995 he'd have been a first round choice imo. As it is, he's slipped through the cracks here and provides excellent value at the top of the 5th round. 'The Guvnor' was a standout box to box destroyer at Utd. When he came back to Liverpool from Inter he wasn't quite as effective, but he still was an ultra competitive force for Liverpool and was unfairly blamed for the failings of the lessor players around him. At Boro and Wolves he gradually became more of a blocker infront of the back four as his athleticism declined.

Overall, he had a huge impact on the league and a great club and international career but the competitive dominating box to box force he was over five premiership seasons for Utd and Liverpool is what I'm taking here. We're going to up for the battle in the middle of the park anyway to say the least:

John Terry (C)
    Javier Mascherano
    Paul Ince
    David Silva
    Ruud Van Nisteelroy

• Advertisement

wow had a shortlist of 4 from last night and 3 of them went in the next 3 picks

really hope i havent missed something and that this guy is still available

leader, organiser, warrior Jamie Carragher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

No PM but think it's me.

Next pick is: Andrei Kanchelskis

Time to get a winger in and who better than this man, fantastic in the premier league with united.

img_10_6400.jpg

My next pick is the Pablo Zabaleta. Equally good going forward as he is defending few more years performing the way he is he'll over take Neville as the best RB the league has seen. Completes the right side of my team

Tough pick as there are 3 or 4 players off the top of my head who have no business being here and wont be after the next round of picks before me again, still am doing mental gymnastics after getting this far. It is however getting to the stage where top level CBs are just beginning to become thin on the ground so I'll have to take one of the first in the PL era. A United legend and a great leader to boot. Having anyone who Alex Ferguson deemed good enough to be his captain is great. I now have 2 with the acquisition of Steve Bruce.
    Steve_Bruce_2096496i.jpg

Really need to start getting some midfielders in so iv gone with none other than Ray Parlour, great servant to Arsenal and managed to notch himself up a few Premierships & Cups!

Parlour_Ray_Photocall-1993_.jpg

• Advertisement

I just PM'd Donnielighto to choose for me but no need to now, I choose Michael Ballack.

2473407850.jpg

Needed to get a centre midfielder in and I feel like Ballack is one of the remaining generals in the middle of the pitch. Won a PL title with Chelsea and unlucky not to win more, also won a couple of FA cups. One of the best midfielders of his generation and almost 100 caps for Germany, I'm aware he didn't play his best football with Chelsea but he was very effective for them nonetheless in a successful team, capable of playing in a two or three man midfield also. Very happy to get him in as it feels like I was running out of time to choose a centre midfielder.

Along with Patrick Vieira, my next pick provided the base from which that famous Arsenal side in the mid-noughties went a season in the League unbeaten.

Gilberto could go largely unnoticed due to the exploits of Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Vieira and the like. But every functioning machine needs the basic mechanics to be working fluidly, and it's the same with a football team. win the ball, keep the ball, give it to the players who can be creative.

he could pop up with thrusts from midfield, as well as goals.

he's also another World Cup winner for my team, after playing every minute of the 2002 World Cup that Brazil won.

he is Gilberto Silva.

729232_heroa.jpg

Two of the all-time greatest goalkeepers have already been taken and I can't let this guy stay on the board any longer. My next pick is

Edwin Van Der Sar

van-der-sar_22039a.jpg

In 1999 Manchester United won an unprecedented treble. And yet surprisingly none of their players won either of the player of the year awards!

Thats because David Ginola was unplayable at that stage, deservedly winning both the footballer writers and the players player of the year awards ahead of the likes of Keane or Beckham.

Anybody who remembers Ginola from the swashbuckling Newcastle days through to his peak at Spurs knows why I have picked him now, he was a genius out on the wing, a fantastic technical footballer who will work brilliantly with Ronaldo and Klinsmann!

article-1321483-0001F4DD00000258-22_468x324.jpg

Team: Stam, Irwin, Ginola, Ronaldo, Klinsmann

David ginola taken on me at the last second, thankfully my backup pick is of just a high standard and is also a pfa and football writers player of the year during his time at utd during their most dominant years . My pick is ....

Teddy Sheringham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Juan Mata. Attacking Midfielders like him are hard to come by and during his Chelsea days he was the best in the league with silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm stepping in as DildoFaggins has closed his account. He has left me with a solid defence and a strong midfielder but I feel I need a goal scorer to balance the team a bit. So I'm taking a man who sits at 11 in the all time premier league scorerslist. A man who won the golden boot with both Chelsea and Leeds. I'm taking Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank

microstars-MC384.jpg

I could talk about my pick, I could list the numerous quotes about my pick, such as Henry saying he is the best center back that he has ever played against, but I wont because he doesn't need any of that. A former England international, one of the most naturally gifted defenders of his generation, a Rolls Royce of a defender, it's Ledley King.

I'm going to go for the next best left back in this draft, Patrice Evra. At his peak between 2007-2011, he was right up there with Cole. It was at neck and neck who was better at times. Indeed Evra pipped him to a place in the PFA team of the year in 06/07, 08/09 and 09/10. He also made the FIFA world XI in 2009.

He could not only defend very well, he was one of the most skillfull fullbacks in terms of dribbling and link up play in the PL era. Yes there was a clear decline in his later years, but he was genuinely world class for a number of years.

ghd.jpg

From+non-league+to+the+big+league,+here+are+some+other+stars+that+began+their+careers+in+amateur+football+2.jpg
    Les Ferdinand
    His seasonal goal tallies from 92/93 - 24,18,26(QPR),29,21(Newcastle). He led QPR to 5th in the table in 93. His 50 goals for Newcastle came in just 84 games. A goals to game ratio in them years only beaten by the very best.
    Going to a rubbish spurs team and injuries dented his progress but he remained a solid PL striker for the next decade and displayed excellent leadership skills.

He was quick, strong, good in the air and above all a very intelligent footballer.

• Advertisement

joe%20cole23.jpg

Was generally excellent for his first 400 or so games in his career. Captained West Ham at 21, A good few successful years at Chelsea where he became a fairly crucial player. Was England's best player in 06. He should thrive playing with Scholes and we know he worked well with Robben. Liverpool legend Stephen Gerrard once compared him favourably with Messi I believe,

My next pick is William Gallas. He was magnificent at Chelsea, making it into the PFA team of the year twice with them, once at CB, another time at right back. He carried on his excellence for a while at Arsenal before gradually declining but he was a fantastic defender during his peak, very reliable.

WilliamGallas.jpg

My next pick is a full back whose attacking statistics would be impressive for a winger, let alone a full back. He is an England international, formerly of Wigan but has been plying his trade at Everton for quite some time. Man Utd were prepared to spend big money on him but they couldn't get him, he's the long lost Gallagher brother with the sweet left foot, it's Leighton Baines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I feel I need to shore up the midfield and pick a holding midfielder to pair with the all action Toure. Although a lot of good midfielders are already off the board, I'm happy with my pick. I'm taking a man with over 400 appearances in the premier league. Since joining United in 2006, he has won 5 league titles, and played a vital role in every one. His control, ability to retain possession and passing range was the foundation of some of Man United's best teams of the past decade. Even now he is hugely important to the team, filling in at centre half when required. Micheal Carrick, welcome to the team.

michael-carrick-c.jpg?w=630&h=398&l=50&t=50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

My next pick is a risky one, Im not sure how people will judge him because of injury but I hope he will be judged on his peak ability.

My next pick is Owen Hargreaves

owen_hargreaves_1250046c.jpg

My next pick is Damien Duff, need a left winger and during his Blackburn and Chelsea days there weren't many better than him .

I need a bit of steel in my midfield, and thankfully one of the very best is still available. David Batty.

A league champion with Leeds in 1992, he moved to Blackburn where despite injury he won his 2nd league title. He then moved to Newcastle where he was an integral part of the exciting Keegan era, finishing runner up to United twice in a row. His influence continued in his 2nd spell at Leeds as he helped them to surprise Uefa cup and European cup semi-final appearances.

Batty was a superb defensive midfielder, tireless and ruthless but also a fantastic distributor. This was no simple clogger, he has 42 England caps, played in the World cup and European championships and was named on the PFA team of the year 3 times! He is exactly the type of central midfielder my team needs to let the likes of Ronaldo and Ginola shine.

GD9299626@28-Apr-2001--David-Ba-8629.jpg

Team: Stam, Irwin, Batty, Ginola, Ronaldo, Klinsmann

I need to get my defensive midfield sorted now so I'll take

Dietmar Hamann

1330007.jpg

I've chosen another leader for my team. He is exactly the sort of man that will help you win a war.

Strong, brave, a great organiser and a fantastic threat at set pieces, I genuinely think it's a coup to get him this late.

Premier League winner, and genuinely one of the very best CBs around from 91-95. He then went to Rangers and won the treble there.

He is Colin Hendry.

Colin%20Hendry%20celebrates%20winning%20the%20league

• Advertisement

On my phone here so will do a picture later, for this pick I choose Gareth Barry.

Gareth-Barry-in-the-Manch-008.jpg

Aston Villas star man and captain for many years, a starter for Man City for 4 years or so and won a title with them and then went to Everton where he had another great season last year. Has played over 500 Premier League games and over 50 caps for England. Extremely versatile as he has played at left back, left midfield and centre midfield and most importantly I feel he will be a good partner for Michael Ballack in the middle of the pitch.

Di Canio

Paolo%20Di%20Canio%3A%20West%20Ham%20United%20v%20Wimbledon%2C%201999%E2%80%932000

Delighted at this late stage to still get a very good level centre back pick. Great on the ball and with great defensive skill. Played in WCs and Champions League knockout rounds while in the PL and in his pomp the biggest teams in England and Italy were turned down by him.

Lucas Radebe.

Lucas-Radebe-defender-mid-011.jpg

I've done amazing well well here getting a WC winner in R6. Frank Lebouef a cultured centre back great for starting attacks not bad at pens either. Won FA Cups League Cups ans Cup Winners Cup when at Chelsea. Overall solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Need to get a fullback in at this stage I think, so gonna pick Gabriel Heinze, anyone who saw this man play during his time at united needs no description, for those that didn't, the guy is a ****in warrior who never gave up and was excellent defensively and going forward.

Sorry posting from phone again but a slight change of tactics to get this guy in, i think he is fantastic value at this stage of the draft.

Carlos Tevez

• Advertisement

Harry Kewell

Delighted to get him at this stage. His lack of longevity mitigated against him going higher, but for a little over a half decade Kewell was one of the stars in the league - a tricky winger with an eye for goal and an ability to link inside for a good Leeds team. I think he'll link together very well with Silva in this hypothetical side and contribute to the creation of enough havoc for Van the man to thrive off.

Terry (C)
    Mascherano
    Ince
    Kewell
    Silva
    Van Nisteelroy

Ok, I can't leave this guy any longer,

Tim Cahill
    cahillR2312_468x609.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I'm posting for Frankie Lee since he asked me to.

Poyet.

article-0-004DCE4F00000258-744_306x423.jpg

Reasoning for this man: He scores goals, lots of them. He has a better goals per game ratio than both Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard without taking penalties or free kicks. Phenomenal in the air, technically very good, good engine and strong.

Taught he would have been gone sooner, was a very very solid left back for a fairly strong leeds team and played his role excellently, also his dead ball ability's were outstanding.

Ian Harte.

ian-harte_1847026c.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement