Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft Picks Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Arsenal right back Lee Dixon

article-0-000C1B3B00000258-682_468x854.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm gonna bolster my defense with a player who has made over 400 top flight appearances, as well as winning the league with Blackburn Rovers. I'm take Graeme Le Saux.

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Il go with the late great Gary Speed for left side of midfield not out and out winger but attack minded left side midfielder can play in a few positions to that are useful. great in the air . A real leader of men good to have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Decision made and i had this guy in mind since my first pick, he is the perfect player for my team, maybe could have got him next pick but hebis too important to risk it.

Mikel Arteta

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

My pick plays for Man City. He used to play for Arsenal. He used to play for France. He doesn't anymore.He plays football well, sometimes very well. He's won trophies.

Samir Nasri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Cheers for the PM Anderson :rolleyes:

Anywho, to partner Vieira, I can't believe he's made it this far in all honesty, wildly underrated by many, it is,

Nicky Butt.

136487.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ferris Bueller is having a day off, may I present the best man of Trinidad and Tobago and one half of the one of the best striker pairings. Dwight Yorke.

Manchester%20United%20do%20the%20treble%20in%20the%201999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are a few players I would like to take now, but central defenders are getting thin on the ground so I'm going to take this guy before I miss out.

An absolute Rolls Royce of a defender, 4 times Premier league winner, FA cup winner and Champions league winner, Ronnie Johnsen. He will resume a partnership with Stam and Irwin that saw United win everything in front of them, and not only that he was a fantastic defensive midfielder which gives me great options to adjust my team to suit different opposition.

ronnyj5_1226662901.jpg

Interesting fact about Johnsen, he is perhaps the only professional who has ever won four medals in four consecutive appearances with the club! He was on the pitch for the 1999 title clincher, FA Cup final, the Champions League final, and then because of injury his next game was the 2000 league title clincher against Spurs!

Team: Stam, Johnsen, Irwin, Batty, Ginola, Ronaldo, Klinsmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No time for a picture but my need of a 20 goal a season striker leads me to Daniel Sturridge who showed he was that man last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Need a defender to partner carvalho so I'm going to take Kolo Toure. A vital member of the invincibles and one of the top defenders in the league during his time at arsenal, happy to get him at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Heart
    Grit
    Courage
    Bravery
    Toughness
    Determination
    Leadership
    Reliability
    Longevity
    Physicality

No ****ing give

Stuart Pearce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Need some steel in he engine room so my next pick is Olivier Dacourt. He was absolutely outstanding for a decent stretch at Leeds and was a driving force in their run to the semis of the CL and top 4 finish.

Dacourt_zps4e2e11b5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Firstly, a somewhat underrated player now, because he's a squad player at his new club.

But for several seasons at Arsenal he was vying every year for best RB in the league.

Delighted to pick up Bacary Sagna.

One of the most talented players of his generation.

The new Mr Arsenal, he completes my engine room.

Jack Wilshere.

I'll complete my backline with Gareth Southgate. Well over 400 PL appearances along with 57 England caps whilst captaining two PL clubs.

SouthgateGareth02ANG.jpg

Peter Beardsley

It is tempting to think of Beardsley as an 80's player and perceive his best years as part of the great Liverpool side of the latter part of the decade. If you asked the man himself though, he'd tell you he played his best football in his second spell at Newcastle. Beardsley was 31 at the dawn of the premiership yet he managed a wonderful half decade before moving to the MLS - one season as Everton's top scorer before four as a central figure on the 'nearly' Newcastle side.

As a player, Beardsley was just a touch of class. Technically gifted with a great football brain who's strength was playing off great strikers and providing for them. I think he'll be a great fit in behind Ruud on my team.

Need to get a fullback in so I'll take Gael Clichy, best left backs are gone and I think he's the best of all the remaining ones. Happy to have him

With all these left backs gone I'm not 100% that mine hasn't been picked but sure I'll proceed anyway. A part of one of the best defenses in Premier League history and think that he's met the guy he'll be playing behind too.

Nigel Winterburn.

Nigel-Winterburn.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Bucketybuck is afk for a while and asked me to name his pick. He said is was Either Gudjohnsen or Eider Gudjohnsen.

1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Picks are getting a lot tougher now, pretty sure all of the elite players are now gone from most positions. For my left back I'll select John Arne Riise, a regular for Liverpool for 6 or 7 years and they have never really succeeded in filling the gap when he left. Great at going forward with an absolute thunderbolt of a shot, could also take a mean free kick. Champions League winner and amassed over 300 appearances in the Premier League, plus over 100 caps for his country, happy to get him as any other left back I could think of who is still available was a considerable drop in quality.

52980400.jpg

Need to get a solid RB in I guess, and who better than a local Limerick man, Fantastic with Fulham for years, which earned him a transfer to Liverpool where he earned himself a champions league medal, his ability to cross a ball will certainly add another danger to the mighty Drogba's game, and will give Kanchelskis a great player to link up with on the right side.

My next pick is, Steve Finnan.

sport-graphics-2008_700555a.jpg

My pick is David Luiz. He starts for Brazil, he was great at Chelsea, he's the most expensive defender in football history.

Last of the top tier goalkeepers, best keeper in the league in the late 90s early 00's Leeds utd Legend and greatest ever keeper

Nigel Martyn

I need someone to win the ball for me and give to the players who can do damage and this man has done it all his career. Didn't make the impact he would of liked at Chelsea but anywhere else he was he was the top performer. He even won the FWA player of the season even tho West Ham went down. Tough tackler and rarely gives it away.

Scott Parker

I will round out my back four with Wes Brown. Called "the best natural defender the club has had in years" by Sir Alex himself, Brown is solid defender at both center half and right back. He was part of the PFA team of the year in 2001 and still plays today.

• Advertisement

To partner Van Persie up front Ill pick Robbie Keane.

109624.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I keep getting caught at bad times.

Danny Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Aleksandar Kolarov
    serbia-france-soccer-2-752x501.jpg

Slightly unconventional pick but with the luxury of having the best centre back pairing in the competition I can afford a fullback that loves to get forward. He is technically excellent and a big tough Serb, his brilliant crosses will suit Ferdinand and a late arriving Poyet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not that long in the league but he is a top full back and gives me options.
    Cesar Azpilicueta

Cesar+Azpilicueta+Arsenal+v+Chelsea+TeXkdzB9BDul.jpg

Pace, pace and more pace.

As well as that, he's added composure and finishing in the last couple of years, he completes a pacey and incisive front 3 for me.

When fully fit he's a potent weapon.

He is Theo Walcott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For my next pick I'm going to take the last of the big game goalkeepers, after this its all just solid pro's so he wouldn't have lasted much longer.

The great Jens Lehmann was Arsenals keeper as the invincibles went unbeaten for an entire league season, he saved Paul Scholes penalty to win Arsenal the 2005 FA cup, and in 2006 cemented his legendary status by playing a huge role as Arsenal broke the record for the most consecutive clean sheets in the Champions League on their march to the final. That run of clean sheets also helped Lehmann to a champions league record of 853 minutes without conceding a goal!

A genuinely legendary big game goalkeeper with the medals and records to prove it!

jens-lehmann-gunner.jpg

Team:
    Lehmann, Stam, Johnsen, Irwin, Batty, Ginola, Gudjohnsen, Ronaldo, Klinsmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Need someone to partner Vidic in the centre of my defence and I think Gary Cahill would slot in well beside him. Champions League winner with Chelsea and got into the PFA team of the year last season, done very well at Bolton before getting his big move to Chelsea where he has proved himself to be amongst the elite centre backs in the league at the moment. Has also become a regular in the England team over the past two years, where he is sure to add to his 30+ caps over the next few years. Very good at positioning himself and reading the game and has good pace for a centre back, he would form a good partnership with Vidic as one can attack the ball while Cahill can drop off.

0102681144971400.jpg

Have been deliberating over this pick and was originally going to pick a CB but there is half a dozen left that i would rate as good or better of some of those gone before however after slicks pick of Walcott means i have to take this fella a round earlier than expected.

My team certainly wont lack for commitment or workrate but best of all he is a big game player and scorer. I believe during his time in the league Ronaldo was the only winger to outscore him.

Dirk Kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

For my team I need an influential dynamic defensive midfielder, with pace, a great engine, excellent technique and preferably possessing a league medal. I found one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmioOG8EDXsoiTPY3dlF0kL2c80Cl6HzgBF1I6oQJUTr1QVyVDfg
    Fernandinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Even though i hate his current form at his peak was a quality full back.

Glen Johnson

420b829d2e9929130d27df4e74e2ee42.png

6 Premier Leagues 3 FA Cups 1 Champions League 59 caps England. You don't last ten years at United unless your a decent player. He went on to captain Everton and was rated highly there also. He'll play left back for me but can also play CM and RB

Phil Neville

My right back pick is one I really didn't think would still be available. I'd have him close to the top of his position and was as reliable as they come. An unforgettable premier league legend.

David Duchovny...weirdly seems to be coming up as Dan Petrescu on google though, but sure what's the difference :p

dan-petrescu.jpg

Can't believe this guy lasted this long, came to Chelsea when he was 33 and after a poor start in defence was moved into the midfield and bossed it for two years, winning Chelsea player of the year, while also finishing runner up to Eric Cantona as Footballer of the year, also helping Chelsea to an FA cup triumph, will keep the midfield locked down tight with Vieira beside him.

It is, the magnificent, Ruud Gullit.

Netherlands_Gullit_001.png

Brad Superman Friedel

Careers are funny old things. Friedel was 29 when he left Liverpool in 2000, and few thought at the time that a gem was being returned to the States. Friedel had been an unspectacular goalkeeper up to that point, having failed to establish himself at Brondby, Galatasary and Liverpool. After a couple of months at home Graeme Sounness took a flier on him at Blackburn and a decade of dominance kicked off.

For ten seasons between 2001 and 2011 Friedel kept goal brilliantly for Blackburn and Aston Villa. He then got a move to Spurs and played every game aged 40 as they finished 4th only to be denied Champions League football by Didier Drogba in Munich. During this decade Friedel was worth many points for his teams each season. It is true that goalkeepers tend to look better and get an easier ride at mid to lower table clubs. However, I think Fridel is a great pickup at this stage.

He has had many 'wow' performances in his career, days where it was near impossible to beat him as he pulled off a string of miraculous saves. However he was also a big imposing figure who dealt with the simple things competently. I think he'll fit the spikey nature of my defensive players also.

Friedel
    Pearce
    Terry (C)
    Mascherano
    Ince
    Beardsley
    Silva
    Kewell
    Van Nisteelroy

I'm going to take Juninho Paulista

• Advertisement

My pick is perhaps the best French center back in the history of Arsenal football club, it's Laurent Koscielny!

I gotta take this guy now before he gets snapped up

Morgan Schneiderlin
    Morgan+Schneiderlin+Southampton+v+Sunderland+g8oZ7_K1kz2l.jpg

I'll take Jamie redknapp , a" top top "midfielder who had a lot of injury problems but I'll take the fit Jamie redknapp for my team.

On the phone so no write up or pic but I'm delighted to take Roberto di Matteo.

First up Ill get my goal keeper sorted. Another Irish legend to add to my team Shay Given

Shay-Given-Aston-Villa-007.jpg

For my second pick I'll go with Tony Dorigo for my left back spot. There are very few quality left backs left and for that reason i'm happy to get Dorigo.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsfoUUnalI9Xf4fwEahDgJoRkdZij9njeHDmv9dbwKAh_PmoPW

Hardest pick so far. Not many quality left wingers left on the board but one that I liked was Florent Malouda. He had a couple of really strong seasons for Chelsea when he scored 25 league goals in 71 appearances (2009/10 and 10/11)

Very strong, fast, technically good and direct. Can tuck inside and help out the midfield out as well as providing good width. Made the PFA team of the year in 09/10 and was widely regarded as a key cog in Chelsea's title win. Also started in CL and WC finals, winning 80 caps for France throughout his career.

I'll take another invincible as my right back. Lauren made pfa team of the year at arsenal and also was selected ahead of Neville in keane and viera's combined 11, happy to have two invincibles in my back 4 along with carvalho and Clichy should make me solid at the back

The top player on my list right now and he was ahead of others I took in the last two rounds but I took the gamble he would skip through to me. Twice Tottenham Hotspur player of the year in '99 and 2000 and twice selected on the PFA Team of the year in 2001 and 2003.

Stephen Carr

1931194-stephen-carr-of-tottenham-hotspur-running-with-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QH7PitNn0hS0U53nobKoJh1ecw0WUfUBjMbFkOx%2BUQuq

My pick is the very quick and attacking Man Utd right back, Rafael.

• Advertisement

Hopefully this player hasn't been picked :P can't see him anyway. So good they named him twice, it's Jay-Jay Okocha

Advertisement