Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Macbook AntiVirus Software

• 29-12-2014 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

As the proud owner of a MBP (my first Mac in years), I'm wondering if one should use some form of AV on a Mac these days?

Whilst I understand there are of course viruses for Mac, they're nowhere near as prevalent as they are for Windows, are they more of a threat today even considering OS X's UNIX based OS?

Do you use some form of security software on your Mac? If so, what do you use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I personally don't have any anti-virus running 24x7 on my mac. But I do have clamxav that I tend to run from time-time to make sure that there is no malware on my machine (have had no issues in 8 years :) ). Also if you plan to install software like Flash or Java make sure to keep them up to date as much as possible as they tend to have a lot of vulnerability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

Cheers I'll do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No need for antivirus in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

No need for antivirus in my opinion.
    Much like Windows, Macs have built in antivirus software these days. Not much need for a third party one likewise.

Cheers lads. Just wanted to make sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Do make sure the firewall is on (System Prefs > Security & Privacy)

As mentioned, keep Flash & Java up-to-date.

The biggest issue on Macs is actually the potential complacency of users, caused by feelings of relative immunity, leading them to be taken in by social engineering/phishing etc.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Do make sure the firewall is on (System Prefs > Security & Privacy)

The biggest issue on Macs is actually the potential complacency of users, caused by feelings of relative immunity, leading them to be taken in by social engineering/phishing etc.

Thanks. I would've thought that was on by default, but it wasn't! It is now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Type 17 wrote: »

If possible don't install Flash or Java, unless you really really need it. I don't have it on mine and won't let the wife install it on hers. Better battery life and less ads without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

If you are going to use one at least pick a decent one - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/04/mac_anti_virus_test/

I have Symantec - I use my Mac in work and have to - it doesn't come out well in the above.

Paddy

TBi wrote: »
    If possible don't install Flash or Java, unless you really really need it. I don't have it on mine and won't let the wife install it on hers. Better battery life and less ads without it.

Yeah I don't really need them... At the moment so I'll leave it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭aceofspades.ie

Hi any advice how to check a mac for rouge remote acces running on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Hi any advice how to check a mac for rouge remote acces running on it?

I use a tool called Private eye http://radiosilenceapp.com/private-eye it monitors all your incoming and outgoing connections.. very handy tool Just let it run for 20 -30 minutes without you doing anything on your mac this should give you a good indication if there is anything rouge running on your mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭aceofspades.ie

Thanks... Will try that

Advertisement