Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Backlog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Falcon L wrote: »
    Why does the test renewal have to be the same date as first registration? What's the thinking behind this? All this does is create a surge of tests in January and February. With the new registration system it will create two surges, albeit smaller.

In other European countries you can do the test any date you want. The new due date will then be 1 or 2 years after this date. If you drive without NCT the laws are there to deal with you.

Allowing testing at a date of your choosing would allow the surges in demand to even out. Surely that would be problem solved. Then you could just roll up without an appointment and get a test with minimal wait.

In Spain they have an appointment system, but it goes largely unused. People just turn up and wait 5 minutes. They can do the test any date they choose. What's so wrong with this?

Nothing wrong with this, and that's how it works virtually anywhere in Europe (except from Ireland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If was efficient you would have a test appointment one week after booking

That's not what efficient means :)

Efficient is a system that maximises the number of tests and retests carried out per capital spent with the least money spent on staff with minimal waste(d time)

Of course it would be handy to have a test one week after booking. Hey it would be even handier if you could just show up at any NCT centre of your choosing 24/7 without any appointment and expect your car to be tested there and then without waiting time :pac:

Now nearly all of the NCTs I have done was in Fonthill, I believe the biggest and busiest NCT centre in the country. I don't know if you know it, but anyone can have a look at it and know straight away it is a very smooth and efficient operation

If the NCT wasn't as efficient as it is, it would be a lot more expensive than €55!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

With my last car for one of its NCTs I convinved myself it was on, on a particular day but it was actually the previous day(date) but had the time right.
    Arrived up and was told in no uncertain terms "you're the one living the closest and you were the one who didn't turn up"! He continued saying someone else was late for theirs so I got slotted into their spot, as Luck would have it :o

My new car, Nissan Juke does not need an NCT until June this year, however:
    When I bought my Juke last May I never got her checked by a mechanic or garage before-hand; something just said 'This is MY Car' so I just bought her (see here)...
    Never had an issue with her; got oil changed lastyear (only big-'ish job) ; Just do all regular checks on my Juke myself; never brought to a garage before this test, thought that I'd just see what she's like. She passed no issue at all. The mechanic came back smiling saying your Juke is just perfect, everything passed no issue. My NCT cert now valid for 2-years also...

What I'll also say is that those working had bookings through their scheduled lunch. Sign on locked-door when I arrived said lunch 12:45 to 13:45; my appointment was at 13:30. Another car arrived after me but they left after reading the sign. When I received my cert, 3-people in total were waiting for their testings. Always a queue in there from my experience through the years. They also possibly worked through their lunch though it is also possible also that they finished earlier than 12:45 to start their break earlier due to the scheduling.

Never had an issue booking a test; never an issue full-stop tbh. Always pleasant, always prompt & even helped me for one NCT as I mentioned above.

Now I know that someone else may have needed this date(day) but I booked this months ago. I set my sights on a January NCT and planned accordingly for it. It was the last time on this chosen date though plenty others dates/times were available for January when I booked.

Set an alarm/reminder for yourself; keep an eye on the NCT site; varying close-centres perhaps. I am sure they've an idea on the numbers needing NCT; know from previous years an estimate on numbers for each month and even area and would plan to have necessary resources in place to assist accordingly.

That's my Experience & Thoughts,
    kerry4sam

unkel wrote: »

If the NCT wasn't as efficient as it is, it would be a lot more expensive than €55!

So you are saying that NCT is so cheap (€55) because it's so efficient???
    Come on - I don't really think it's that cheap - €55 is actually fairly expensive.
    What's the cost of car test in other EU countries?

NCT takes 30 minutes and only one employee is involved to one car.
    That makes then €110 per hour using their lane with equipment and one employee.
    Note that normal garages charge between €30 - €60 per hour labour of one mechanic.
    So how come they make money on it, if that's over twice less than NCT which you say can only be that cheap because it's so efficient.
    Additionally NCT have a booking system which ensures a constant fulfillment of employees time. Other garages might not be that lucky.

I honestly don't think that making €110 per hour for NCT centre is cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Efficient is a system that maximises the number of tests and retests carried out per capital spent with the least money spent on staff with minimal waste(d time)

Of course it would be handy to have a test one week after booking. Hey it would be even handier if you could just show up at any NCT centre of your choosing 24/7 without any appointment and expect your car to be tested there and then without waiting time :pac:

Now nearly all of the NCTs I have done was in Fonthill, I believe the biggest and busiest NCT centre in the country. I don't know if you know it, but anyone can have a look at it and know straight away it is a very smooth and efficient operation

I couldn't agree more!

With all the extra capacity required to allow for test availability at very short notice the end result would be that the test would have to be more expensive. Basically to cater for people who couldn't be arsed organising themselves properly. That's not a situation I would want tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

Efficient is a system that maximises the number of tests and retests carried out per capital spent with the least money spent on staff with minimal waste(d time

Efficient ,
    well organized, methodical, systematic, structured, well planned, logical, coherent, well regulated, well run, well ordered, orderly, businesslike, systematized, streamlined, productive, effective, labour-saving, cost-effective, energy-efficient, energy-saving, fuel-efficient.

Mmmm , Let me think about that .................... .

Why do you mock this concept ? I and others have already pointed out to you that that is exactly what is available in most EU countries AND beyond .

Cant comment on that as I have not enjoyed it's seemingly unique experience .

Nonsense . Do you actually believe that we should applaud Applus for being so ( wait for it ......)

" well organized, methodical, systematic, structured, well planned, logical, coherent, well regulated, well run, well ordered, orderly, businesslike, systematized, streamlined, productive, effective, labour-saving, cost-effective, energy-efficient, energy-saving, fuel-efficient."
    that there operation has kept the cost of the test artificially low ?

Eh, well, yes! :D

Had a quick look at standardised tests in other countries. MOT in the UK is £55, TUV in Germany just short of €100 and the equivalent in France about €80

We are doing well here...

It would seem that I am handicapped by being a new user and therefore cannot paste links to convey my point to you but if I may ask you to google " mot costs UK " and ask you to have a look at Halfords current offer I'm sure that you'd agree that a blind man running for a bus would certainly consider that competition is a truly remarkable thing ,

£29.95 + €37.96

You may , or may not , have noticed the glaring absence of the "time " slot on said booking form .......

It would seem that I am handicapped by being a new user and therefore cannot paste links to convey my point to you but if I may ask you to google " mot costs UK " and ask you to have a look at Halfords current offer I'm sure that you'd agree that a blind man running for a bus would certainly consider that competition is a truly remarkable thing ,

£29.95 = €37.96

You may , or may not , have noticed the glaring absence of the "time " slot on said booking form .......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tom petty wrote: »

£29.95 + €37.96

Is that supposed to be 29.95=37.96?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be 29.95=37.96?

I guess my edit function has to be earned too.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I couldn't agree more!

With all the extra capacity required to allow for test availability at very short notice the end result would be that the test would have to be more expensive. Basically to cater for people who couldn't be arsed organising themselves properly. That's not a situation I would want tbh.

I booked my test more than a month in advance before expiry yet the nearest date they could give me was over two months away. A month's notice is hardly a couldn't be arsed situation is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

tom petty wrote: »

£29.95 + €37.96

Lots of competition in the UK for providing MOT testing.

Cheap tests are a major bone of contention among many small independent garages who have invested heavily in test lanes etc only to possibly find some of the multipils providing tests for maybe as little as £15.00 just down the road.

I would'nt have any complaints about NCT fees but, this annual backlog is just silly in this day and age. If nothing else, it potrays a poor image with the public and would be a disaster for any company competeing for the publics business where there is competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Eh, well, yes! :D

Had a quick look at standardised tests in other countries. MOT in the UK is £55, TUV in Germany just short of €100 and the equivalent in France about €80

We are doing well here...

What are the backlogs/waiting time in these countries for the said tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

€33 in Spain. No wait. Turn up, tested and done normally within 30 minutes. You could be unlucky and turn up at the same time as a lot of other people. Then the wait could be an hour. You drive your own car through the lane. The tester tells you when to go, stop. Underside is checked in pits on the lane.

My local centre has 3 lanes and they can do 2 cars at the same time per lane if needed (second one starting while the first one is in the second half of the test).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

An update, got a test for today, 28th January. First call to ask about an opening was 22nd December. At the test station had to pay the fee. I will now email to enquire about their 4 week rule and why it didn't apply to me...

Enzokk wrote: »
    An update, got a test for today, 28th January. First call to ask about an opening was 22nd December. At the test station had to pay the fee. I will now email to enquire about their 4 week rule and why it didn't apply to me...

Did you accept today's appointment on the 22nd of Dec? or did you decline an offered date to be put on a priority list ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Enzokk wrote: »

https://www.ncts.ie/customer_charter.html

If you just accepted the appointment offered ( and didn't request a test within 28 days) then don't bother emailing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

When I went to book my test online on the 23rd of November last year the online system was telling me there was no available date until late February iirc.

But when I then rang I got an appointment for the 12th of December (not immediately, they texted me on appointment time at a later stage).

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    https://www.ncts.ie/customer_charter.html

If you just accepted the appointment offered ( and didn't request a test within 28 days) then don't bother emailing them.

You do not need to request an appointment within 28 days for it to be free. Once an appointment wasn't accepted and a new date couldn't be offered within the 4 week period the test should be free regardless.

Did you accept today's appointment on the 22nd of Dec? or did you decline an offered date to be put on a priority list ?
    mgbgt wrote:

I asked about a test on the 22nd December, was given one in March or April. Said this will not suffice, NCT is up on the 31st January and they said they would put me on the priority list and to expect a text within 10 days. I had to call them again on the 12th January to ask what is happening. They texted me a day later with the test appointment. It fell within the time limit for our Nct expiry, but still outside their 4 weeks of first contact.

You do not need to request an appointment within 28 days for it to be free. Once an appointment wasn't accepted and a new date couldn't be offered within the 4 week period the test should be free regardless.

I hope so...I guess I will wait for their answer.

Quick personal update. My main car passed NCT first go last month (3 months early) and got a 15 month cert

I just booked my other car in 2 months early and there were loads of free slots. If it passes, it will get a 14 month cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ms. jou's car NCT due - 9th of April.

Booked 3 days ago, the earliest available date was 16th April.

One day later logged in after 11:30pm - changed booking to 16th of February! There were 5 slots available on that day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i booked online the only available date i could get which is two weeks over my due date

will that cause hassle with the cops? how strict are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

fryup wrote: »
    i booked online the only available date i could get which is two weeks over my due date

I booked online there and there's 6 weeks in the interim for me.. 9th feb- 25th of March

Here's hoping they're not too strict!

fryup wrote: »

Bring your proof of appointment with you. No normal Garda will give you any hassle over it. But the trick is to fetch yourself an NCT cancellation, just like joujoujou did (and I did for my car last month) and get your test done in time (or early) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I booked online there and there's 6 weeks in the interim for me.. 9th feb- 25th of March

Here's hoping they're not too strict!

I was going to book mine online but seen the notice saying if your NCT is out soon to call the helpline instead so rang and she said I should receive a booking confirmation within 7 working days for a test within the next 30 days from then, after being put on a 'priority list'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

An update on my own situation:
    • First called to book test at the beginning of Dec '14 for cert that expired end of Feb '15. Was told wait for confirmation sms
    • Confirmation SMS came end of dec/start of jan if I remember, test confirmed for 26 march :mad:
    • Found out about 28 day notice thing, rang back and mentioned about it being free, was told I'd be guaranteed it within 28 days and to allow 10 days for confirmation.
    • Nothing came after 10 days so rang back again and was told I was on priority list and to wait another few days
    • Found out my friend rang a few days before we spoke to ring a test and was given a date within 2 weeks, he knew nothing of any 28 days or any tricks for booking online
    • I rang again and explained situation, lady escalated it to her seniors and mentioned that the priority list isn't connected to the cancellation list and that people on the priority list won't be allocated the spots that are released in the night/morning :eek: Was told my test would still be free and if I wanted to check online myself I could and if I select a date it would still be free as I'd only refused one date already (me asking to rebook another test before 26 march was counted as one refusal already haha)
    • Got a text I think later that day/next day confirming test for 10 Feb. Finally!

Just to note, I posted about this on my business facebook page and it's been my most popular post to date and has so far had a reach of over 104,000 with over 1,500 shares. I hope I pass now :D

So I'm guessing by the general tone in this thread that the 'priority list' is a load of balls?

I rang them during the week and they told me they'd put me on it for a test within 30 days.

I just checked this morning for test centres within an hours drive from me and happened to get one for Arklow for next Saturday luckily enough!

So anyone waiting on a test, I'd recommend checking all test centres near you on their website regularly for free slots that might pop up. There was also a couple within the next few weeks for Enniscorthy as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement

Also an update, I put in the complaint and received a call back to confirm the time of my first call. The number did not show on their system (private number), but I was able to confirm the date and time of call as well as duration. I was told they will investigate and get back to me.

I received post that they have investigated and that in fact I shouldn't have been charged for the test. They will send a cheque for the fee to us soon. Not too bad service at all.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    So I'm guessing by the general tone in this thread that the 'priority list' is a load of balls?

I rang them during the week and they told me they'd put me on it for a test within 30 days.

I just checked this morning for test centres within an hours drive from me and happened to get one for Arklow for next Saturday luckily enough!

So anyone waiting on a test, I'd recommend checking all test centres near you on their website regularly for free slots that might pop up. There was also a couple within the next few weeks for Enniscorthy as far as I can remember.

I think what happens is that you are actually only on a priority list for one test centre and not all the centres close to you. If you want to be put on another list you have to let them know though.

I think what happens is that you are actually only on a priority list for one test centre and not all the centres close to you. If you want to be put on another list at another centre you have to let them know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was in with my wife's car yesterday evening.
    My appt was 18:30. But since I finish work at 17:00 and it's 25 miles from home I was in at 18:00.
    18:15 and a lad comes in saying he's sorry he's 20 minutes late but it was just a retest for a bushing.
    They refused and took me 15 minutes early instead.

I thought it was bad form, he'll have to try and book another retest. Possibly having to look for a full test if he runs out of time.

Only one other lad there was early too.

I think it showed no flexibility, no decency and no customer service and no interest in moving along the backlog of tests waiting.

The rules are clear, he was too late which voided his appointment.

But I agree with you, that was bad form when they could have accommodated him without causing problems for the system / other waiting people...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Its the best I'm gonna get. Can't book a cancellation date at night online as it says it "can't find" my car when I put in the correct registration date.

Just have to wait for a text :(

*Meant to post this here earlier instead of the other NCT thread.

Booked my NCT last Sunday. It was expired on Wednesday. Managed to get a space in Arklow for this morning.
    Delighted to say my '98 VW Polo passed first time! :D

Was funny hearing this elderly gentleman giving out about the cost of the NCT saying it's just a revenue scheme etc. then the guy behind the counter telling him 10 mins later that his test was free as he was waiting over 28 days for a test. He couldn't believe it, asked someone to pinch him, that he must be dreaming lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I just booked my car in for an NCT, got NORTHPOINT 2 in May.

What the hell is going on here, at this rate there should be Northpoint 3/4/5 added on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there not something about getting an appt within 1 month or else you get it done for free?

Or did I imagine that?

No, you didn't imagine it.......

......you probably read it on one of the many NCT threads here.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

_Brian wrote: »
    I was in with my wife's car yesterday evening.
    My appt was 18:30. But since I finish work at 17:00 and it's 25 miles from home I was in at 18:00.
    18:15 and a lad comes in saying he's sorry he's 20 minutes late but it was just a retest for a bushing.
    They refused and took me 15 minutes early instead.

I thought it was bad form, he'll have to try and book another retest. Possibly having to look for a full test if he runs out of time.

Only one other lad there was early too.

I think it showed no flexibility, no decency and no customer service and no interest in moving along the backlog of tests waiting.

I arrived 15 mins early the other day and was told to come back in 15 minutes, they didn't seem to be that busy either as there was plenty of spaces, what's the point in advising you to arrive 10 mins early if they are just going to tell you to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

My wife's nct expired on January 16th and she had been trying to get a slot since December. She found one but it was for March so she rang the nct place and was put on the priority list and the march appointment she had booked was cancelled.
    Last week she got a call back finally saying the earliest date they had was April 25th obviously a month later than what she originally had. She mentioned this and was more or less given the whole thing of well there is nothing we can do speech. She mentioned about would the test be free and was told that tests are never free. Anyway that evening I found her a slot for February 14th at 3.30 and I booked that and apart from hitting a pot hole on the way there which resulted in a fail due to a tire bulge (which she went and got a new tire within 30mins) she went back and got the visual check and got her passed nct cert. oh and the test was free when they ran her details through for payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

What happens if you've already NCTd your car but have to do a retest? My NCT expires tomorrow, it was tested week before last (couldn't get booking before then due to backlog) and I had to replace rear shocks. Can I legally drive until the test if I have proof of booking? I have to do a long distance drive (200km) this weekend.

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    What happens if you've already NCTd your car but have to do a retest? My NCT expires tomorrow, it was tested week before last (couldn't get booking before then due to backlog) and I had to replace rear shocks. Can I legally drive until the test if I have proof of booking? I have to do a long distance drive (200km) this weekend.

Yes

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

According to a garda, it's at the discretion of each individual garda that you meet. However for the most part, they tend not to enforce it as the backlog of the NCT at the moment means that people could technically not have a car for months. It also can depend on what the fail report stated (i.e. was it minor things such as bulbs etc) and if you had documentation to prove the work was done.

But legally speaking, the other posters are correct - you legally cannot drive the car. But the enforcement of the law is rare and if you have documentation to show you have rescheduled the test, done the necessary repairs, etc, then you're in a better position.

bodhi085 wrote: »
    My wife's nct expired on January 16th and she had been trying to get a slot since December. She found one but it was for March so she rang the nct place and was put on the priority list and the march appointment she had booked was cancelled.
    Last week she got a call back finally saying the earliest date they had was April 25th obviously a month later than what she originally had. She mentioned this and was more or less given the whole thing of well there is nothing we can do speech. She mentioned about would the test be free and was told that tests are never free. Anyway that evening I found her a slot for February 14th at 3.30 and I booked that and apart from hitting a pot hole on the way there which resulted in a fail due to a tire bulge (which she went and got a new tire within 30mins) she went back and got the visual check and got her passed nct cert. oh and the test was free when they ran her details through for payment.
    Not true. They are or should be free if you haven't previously accepted an appointment and the slot you are given is outside of the 28 day period since you called them.

Not true. They are or should be free if you haven't previously accepted an appointment and the slot you are given is outside of the 28 day period since you called them.

What if your Cert was up in say 6 weeks and you called them and you got an appointment for 5 weeks time? Your cert is still not out but it took them more than 28 days to give you an appointment?

• Advertisement

It's none of their business when your NCT expires....despite what they have apparently told some posters here.
    28 days to test your car, or the test is free. That's what they signed up for, and that's what you're entitled to receive.

Advertisement