Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Backlog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Jesus. wrote: »
    What if your Cert was up in say 6 weeks and you called them and you got an appointment for 5 weeks time? Your cert is still not out but it took them more than 28 days to give you an appointment?
    As long as you didn't accept an appointment when first contacting and you were put on a priority list then it should be free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i have a query

my nct is up in 3 months ( - 2 days). i am trying to book this online. in the past, when booking, i was given the calendar and had the option of choosing a date (in green). although i know dates are rare, the system is deciding my test itself, about 6 weeks after my nct expires.

do i ring the nct and organise a date, or do i book that date and try to reschedule online? im not sure because the system has changed and is forcing me to accept a date and time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

You have to ring them and you'll be put on a list. I got a cancellation this week. I was 3 weeks on the list waiting in Dublin. if you take an online spot you wont be on the priority list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I did the 11:30pm trick and got one in two weeks.

On a separate note, was speaking to my local mechanic and got talking about the delay. He said rumour is they are looking into opening the centres 24hrs. Wasn't sure if it would be a longer term thing or just to clear the backlogs.

jeez. im not interested in going to a centre at 4am!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Spipov wrote: »
    jeez. im not interested in going to a centre at 4am!?

No I wouldn't either but he reckoned taxi men, night shift people would love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Night shift people work at night, not travelling around. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Yeah, there were jobs advertised a few weeks ago for night shift NCT workers wanted in Dublin? I was wondering what that was about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Spipov wrote: »
    do i ring the nct and organise a date, or do i book that date and try to reschedule online? im not sure because the system has changed and is forcing me to accept a date and time?

You do nothing online.
    You ring them, request a test within 28 days or you want a free test if they cannot test your car within 28 days.
    They may tell you that they are only obliged to give you a date wthin 28 days(even though that date could be months away).
    This is rubbish and do not accept it.
    They will then put you on a priority list and should text you back with a date within the 28 days.
    You are entitled to reject the date(s) offered two times, any more and you will not receive a free test no matter when it's tested.

google 'NCT Charter' to see what you're entitled to.

BTW, as you mentioned they have changed their online calendar slightly...it now only shows available dates rather than full months.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You do nothing online.
    You ring them, request a test within 28 days or you want a free test if they cannot test your car within 28 days.
    They may tell you that they are only obliged to give you a date wthin 28 days(even though that date could be months away).
    This is rubbish and do not accept it.
    They will then put you on a priority list and should text you back with a date within the 28 days.
    You are entitled to reject the date(s) offered two times, any more and you will not receive a free test no matter when it's tested.

google 'NCT Charter' to see what you're entitled to.

BTW, as you mentioned they have changed their online calendar slightly...it now only shows available dates rather than full months.

thanks. will ring them monday. i dont see any calendars, let alone free dates. i was given a date then told to continue to booking. did not go through with it as i am not waiting 2 months after my nct which is already 3 months away!!!

• Advertisement

...and ignore any nonsense mentioned about your current NCT expiry date. Again that's not their business, it's your's.
    You can request an NCT within 28 days whenever you like....Applus signed this as part of their contract. If they now cannot fulfil that contract that's their problem, not your's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You are entitled to reject the date(s) offered two times, any more and you will not receive a free test no matter when it's tested..

What do you mean by this? If they offer me one that's not within the 28 days, do I have to reject it and the next one they offer me to get a free test?

No. If they offer you a test within the 28 days but it doesn't suit you then you are entitled to reject this offer,
    You can do this twice and still be entitled to get a free test if they cannot accommodate you within the 28 days.

https://www.ncts.ie/customer_charter.html
    Point no. 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Mgbt, I'm on the priority list at the mo. If they text me a date which is after 28 days, do I ring them up and accept it but insist that I be given it free?

Yes, immediately. But explain that you are not accepting it unless it is free. And ask for the agent's full name just to make sure there's no confusion later.

This whole thing is getting way out of hand.
    There are empty Warehouse units all over the Country at knock-down rents.
    There are plenty of unemployed Mechanics in the Country.
    Most of the Equipment used for the Test can be hired. Anything which must be purchased would pay for itself within weeks.

Could it really be that hard to set up some temporary Test Centres (which may well become permanent) to ease the situation ?
    applus seem to be prepared to keep costs pared down and profits at an optimum level while thousands of Irish motorists are forced to drive around illegally (through no fault of their own).
    If this were the private sector, rather than a Government contract, applus would have been kicked out many months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

am i covered by my insurance with my NCT out of date??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

fryup wrote: »

Check your policy details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some will only cover other car or third party involved.

Leaving you to look after your costs yourself even if you have fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I applied for an nct test on the 26th of Feb. Got a text today saying booking made for 28th of March. Called nct booking to ask was this free as it was not within 28 days and she said no it was showing as a full 55 euro test. I explained that this did not meet the criteria and should be free. I was referred to contact customer service as they deal with it and they close at 4 pm need to call tomorrow.

What should I do, insist this is not within 28 days as it is on the 28th day? Or refuse and ask for another test date?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I just wanted to add that I asked for an nct date in mid january was put in the priority list. Got given a date in april, called to check if the test was free since it was ages away. Got told well thereis a time on the 21st of february in another test centre. I said ok I'lI'll take that. Went for the nct - FREE the guy said. Also passed first time. Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Absolute farce. Applus+ should be absolutely hammered for this, hefty fines. For the state to outsource this sort of stuff and let it be run into the ground by a private company is a scandal. Applus+ are obviously trying to get 100% billability across the board and this is the result.

Mind you, from the stories I've heard about queues for people doing their first road tax etc., the civil service are not doing much better.

I fail to see how these issues could not be foreseen when it's clear from sales numbers and registrations the amount of cars on the road.

Am trying to sort my mother's NCT (she literally died waiting for a test) and the "free" test slot seems only to be on their terms i.e. if you ring and say you'll do the test anywhere, they won't give it to you for free - they have to contact you with a slot. Ridiculous setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bet you all the people trying to get a test within 28 days - in order to get it free (I got mine free last week) - WILL now be offered a date in time, just a 3 o'clock in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My NCT is out of date since the 25th February - I went online in late January to book a test, not realising that there was such a backlog to be honest - I thought at most it would be a week!! How wrong I was - no available appointments until May! Anyway, I filled in the form on the site for them to ring me if there's a cancellation - just wondering, is this all I have to do now? What if the gardai stop me and I haven't got an up to date NCT??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Call them and make sure they know, ask for an sooner appointment. Even if it is in another centre. Also make sure to ask if it will be free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

leahyl wrote: »
    is this all I have to do now?

No. Book the earliest online appointment you can get and make a print out of it. Keep the print out with you in the car.

What if the gardai stop me and I haven't got an up to date NCT??!

Show the print out. No Garda will have an issue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

My NCT is out of date since the 25th February - I went online in late January to book a test, not realising that there was such a backlog to be honest - I thought at most it would be a week!! How wrong I was - no available appointments until May! Anyway, I filled in the form on the site for them to ring me if there's a cancellation - just wondering, is this all I have to do now? What if the gardai stop me and I haven't got an up to date NCT??!

Technically you cannot legally drive your car on a public road without a valid NCT cert displayed ........... a Guard can technically and legally issue you 3 penalty points on the spot regardless of any "excuses" (valid or not) offered ......... they can even (in certain circumstances) seize your vehicle.

However the RSA have requested that the Guards use their own discretion when deciding if a motorist deserves to be penalised for not displaying an NCT cert so you should be ok if you can provide evidence that you are waiting for a Test slot .......... the problem is not all Guards are reasonable nor are they required to be! :(

Pov06 wrote: »
    Check your policy details.

nct is not mentioned :confused:

unkel wrote: »
    No. Book the earliest online appointment you can get and make a print out of it. Keep the print out with you in the car.

Show the print out. No Garda will have an issue with that.

Ok, but what if I get called with a cancellation?

• Advertisement

Call them and make sure they know, ask for an sooner appointment. Even if it is in another centre. Also make sure to ask if it will be free.

I can get it free?? I see there's a free slot on 26th March in Waterford centre - would I get that free if I went with that?

do really get a free test if you're waiting over 4 weeks??

do really get a free test if you're waiting over 4 weeks??

If you ask them for a test within 28 days (you have to ask by phone), you get it for free if they do not carry out the test within the 28 days. You can also decline or reschedule any appointment given within that 28 days twice, and still be entitled to get it free if they don't do the test within 28 days. You will not get one for free if you accept a date outside the 28 days. When you ring up (after 28 days) to day you want a free test, the phone staff will lie to you and tell you you are not entitled to one if (1) your NCT is not out yet or (2) they offered you a test within the 28 days, but for a date outside the 28 days. Don't believe them - they have been told to lie to you to put people off. Persist and you WILL get one. I had one last week. A friend had one this morning. They tried to tell both of us that we weren't entitled to a free test - but we were.

However, I don't expect it to last too long. I expect them to change their charter to get rid of the 28 day claim. In the meantime, people asking for a test within 28 days will be given one - in the middle of the night at one of the new 24 hour NCT centres in Cork and Dublin.

However, I don't expect it to last too long. I expect them to change their charter to get rid of the 28 day claim. In the meantime, people asking for a test within 28 days will be given one - in the middle of the night at one of the new 24 hour NCT centres in Cork and Dublin.
    I don't think they will be changing the charter anytime soon Padraig. It's basically part of their contract with the government and can't be changed by applus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If you ask them for a test within 28 days (you have to ask by phone), you get it for free if they do not carry out the test within the 28 days. You can also decline or reschedule any appointment given within that 28 days twice, and still be entitled to get it free if they don't do the test within 28 days. You will not get one for free if you accept a date outside the 28 days. When you ring up (after 28 days) to day you want a free test, the phone staff will lie to you and tell you you are not entitled to one if (1) your NCT is not out yet or (2) they offered you a test within the 28 days, but for a date outside the 28 days. Don't believe them - they have been told to lie to you to put people off. Persist and you WILL get one. I had one last week. A friend had one this morning. They tried to tell both of us that we weren't entitled to a free test - but we were.

Surely they can't get away with offering an appointment at 0300 on a Wednesday morn...Can they:eek:

I checked this morning and I am already on the priority list so I shouldn't have to do anymore now surely? Would they email or ring me if an appointment becomes available? This is an absolute farce.

• Advertisement

Surely they can't get away with offering an appointment at 0300 on a Wednesday morn...Can they:eek:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see why else they're doing it. I mean, who wants to do their NCT in the middle of the night? Nobody! The move only makes sense if it's to offer dates so as to satisfy their charter. Although I reckon there's grounds to argue any light night offerings, again via their charter:

"Open each NCT centre for the number of hours required to satisfy local demand in each area. This will include one early morning opening (8am)*, one late evening opening (7pm)* and some Saturday morning openings. (*subject to local demand)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Why not? It won't suit everyone but it might suit plenty of people, e.g. taxi drivers, shift workers. If it doesn't suit then just decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Why not? It won't suit everyone but it might suit plenty of people, e.g. taxi drivers, shift workers. If it doesn't suit then just decline.

What I meant was in order not to let you have a free test can the make you accept a test in the middle of the night?

...if you refuse the first two appointments offered then Yes.

If you refuse the first appointment offered, does the 2nd appointment need to be within 28 days of the original booking, or of your refusal?

Hope that question makes sense

Thanks

• Advertisement

They must test your car within 28 days of your request. You are entitled to refuse the first two appointments offered.
    You must accept the third one offered or forfeit your entitlement to a free test.
    So, yes you can refuse two appointments and still be entitled to a free test within 28 days.

It's ridiculous. The way they carry on you would swear they weren't getting paid for any Tests at all.

Thanks for the reply, but maybe I didnt describe what I meant well enough.

If I attempt to book my test on the 1st and 3 days later I am given a date. If I refuse that date on the 4th, does the NCT have to be within 28 days of the 1st or the 4th for it to be free?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My disc expired in February. Went online and was able to take my pick from any day and any time from Deansgrange. I went last week.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, but maybe I didnt describe what I meant well enough.

If I attempt to book my test on the 1st and 3 days later I am given a date. If I refuse that date on the 4th, does the NCT have to be within 28 days of the 1st or the 4th for it to be free?

Cheers
    It's from the 1st day you phone them. So, it's in their interest not to wait 27 days before offering you an appointment on the 28th day.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Guys - don't get me wrong here. I know they are far from perfect, but it can't be that bad, can it???

I have booked my test about 2 weeks ago and could pick 1 date within 1-3 weeks in all of their centres.

For the retest that I just booked I had much wider choice but it is easier to do retest on one item I guess.

Never ever had to wait 2 months for a test.

Sometimes you have to be flexible - which I agree is not perfect at all, but I have to be flexible to get service done on my car, too these days.
    Not as flexible as for NCT giving you 1 slot within a week, but still have to take either time off from work, or ask someone to do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Have they ever explained, or tried to justify, their appalling booking system, where it does always look booked up? With no reasonable slots to book, of course people get pissed off with them andbelieve the service is inadequate. Yet if you xheck each morning, you find free slots and can often book. Why so they do this, and would it not remove a lot of frustration if they were full open abkut booking availability?

Have they ever explained, or tried to justify, their appalling booking system, where it does always look booked up? With no reasonable slots to book, of course people get pissed off with them andbelieve the service is inadequate. Yet if you xheck each morning, you find free slots and can often book. Why so they do this, and would it not remove a lot of frustration if they were full open abkut booking availability?

:confused:

What is the perfect time for those free slots to be available then?

wonski wrote: »
    Guys - don't get me wrong here. I know they are far from perfect, but it can't be that bad, can it???

I have booked my test about 2 weeks ago and could pick 1 date within 1-3 weeks in all of their centres.

For the retest that I just booked I had much wider choice but it is easier to do retest on one item I guess.

Never ever had to wait 2 months for a test.

All their centres ??? I don't believe this for a minute

All their centres ??? I don't believe this for a minute

I haven't checked all, but about 10 just out of curiosity.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057390414

Have a look there where I did some screenshots for another boardsie.
    He booked one for 16th March that night.

I have booked mine on 20/02 for 05/03 in Naas.

There is a backlog obviously, but it is not as bad as I thought after reading some of the posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

On the 4th of March I tried to book an NCT for a new car and the closest date in Dublin I could get was a 3am slot in Deansgrange on the 26th. I phoned them to see if there was any closer dates, late cancellations etc. and was put on a 'priority list'.

Within 10 seconds of hanging up the phone I checked Fonthill and got a mid day slot for the 13th of March.

If you want to get it done quickly you can get it done quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement