Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Backlog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Or maybe you were just lucky...
    That is Friday the Thirteenth, so there may have been a few cancellations ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what if i fail, do i have to wait another 2 months for a retest ??

or do retests get put on the priority list ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

fryup wrote: »
    what if i fail, do i have to wait another 2 months for a retest ??

or do retests get put on the priority list ?

341167.png

341168.png

341169.png

341170.png

341171.png

Looks like prioity list to me, but maybe i just got lucky...

They have separate slots kept on hold specifically for retests....otherwise practically all retests would be done outside the 28 day window, and would need a full test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

wonski wrote: »
    :confused:

What is the perfect time for those free slots to be available then?

I think hes referring to the NCT practice of actually having slots but not putting them on the system as open and available.

So I can go online to see what slots are available - none available for 3 months.

Go on priority list - and low and behold their system "finds a slot" - so you end up going for test when it suits NCT - not when it suits YOU the CUSTOMER.

Woefully poor system

Open up the slots - let customers fill them.

Like any NORMAL business would do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

:confused:

What is the perfect time for those free slots to be available then?

Slots that are freed up due to cancellations or re-arranged tests will often appear on the NCT website circa 11.30 - 12.00 at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Old diesel wrote: »
    [...]

Woefully poor system
    ^^This!^^
    Open up the slots - let customers fill them.

Like any NORMAL business would do

Unfortunately it is not normal business - normal business would increase/expand their availability (more centres for example) to meet increasing demand.

joujoujou wrote: »
    ^^This!^^

Unfortunately it is not normal business - normal business would increase/expand their availability (more centres for example) to meet increasing demand.

Of course in normal business - you have COMPETITION - someone made the point on the radio the other morning that - when they take their jeep (commercial) for its DOE - they have a choice of places to take it to.

And they can get it tested quicker.

Its in the interest of the DOE centres - who are independent businesses - to get you sorted quickly as they WANT your business

Of course in normal business - you have COMPETITION - someone made the point on the radio the other morning that - when they take their jeep (commercial) for its DOE - they have a choice of places to take it to.

And they can get it tested quicker.

Its in the interest of the DOE centres - who are independent businesses - to get you sorted quickly as they WANT your business

The whole idea of independent testing was great.

What they failed at is to plan ahead.

I have seen jobs available poster in one of their centres this week so I guess they are working on the issue.

24 hours opening centres is a ridicolus idea, though. Only in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It's not so ridiculous.
    If they are not going to force people to use night appointments, but just offer it, then why not.
    There's plenty of people who would be happy to go for their NCT a 3am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Exactly. I can see a few taxi drivers waiting until the end of their shift and get it done on the way home, freeing up day time appointments for regular folk.

The whole idea of independent testing was great.

What they failed at is to plan ahead.

I have seen jobs available poster in one of their centres this week so I guess they are working on the issue.

Its ridiculous - to be honest with you - I think a 6 am to 12 midnight day with 2 shifts should be plenty.

motorists could have the option of going for the earlier in the morning 6 to 9 am slots or the later 8 pm to 12 midnight slots.

a 6 am appointment OR an 11,30 pm appointment is doable if it fits in with a motorists schedule.

7 day working - I think that's a good idea actually - gets more cars through the system - and for lads working during the week - a Sunday appointment might be okay given that the test is only a once a year or 2 years job.

Any lad for whom a 3 or 4 am appointment would suit - is actually likely to be working at that time.

CiniO wrote: »
    It's not so ridiculous.
    If they are not going to force people to use night appointments, but just offer it, then why not.
    There's plenty of people who would be happy to go for their NCT a 3am.

But this is not how you fix the problem.

That is a ridiculous attempt imo.

Like I said before I never had an issue with getting NCT on time and I don't care that much about their opening hours, but it does not solve the problem.

Especially when it is only to be done in Dublin and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

I rang for an appointment on the 10th of Feb. Got a text on the 11th saying we are sourcing you an appointment. Haven't heard a peep since.

Should I call them now asking for a free test and I should get one?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I rang for an appointment on the 10th of Feb. Got a text on the 11th saying we are sourcing you an appointment. Haven't heard a peep since.

Should I call them now asking for a free test and I should get one?

Thanks

Sit tight until you get a text with a date then if it is more than 3 weeks out then you call and confirm free test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

Sit tight until you get a text with a date then if it is more than 3 weeks out then you call and confirm free test.

Ive already been waiting 4 weeks yesterday and my NCT is out soon so I should be entitled to a free test? I just want to be sure to say the right thing because no doubt they will make excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

you're right! sorry my brain decided it is still february :)
    Give them a call and check you've nothing to loose at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are garages in the uk that do 24 hour MOT testing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There are garages in the uk that do 24 hour MOT testing.

Last time I was over in Twickenham every garage had an mot sign up, saying that for a car to fail an mot it would want to be hanging. They love their fail advisories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Colm is there any way of knowing when you tried to book the test barring going to your phone company?

I rang them a few weeks ago to go on the priority list and haven't heard from them yet but I don't know when exactly I placed the call. I'd say its around the 4 week mark now. I'll be trying for the free test if its over 28 days til they get back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Just to add my own experience -

Recently bought a car with expired test. Tried booking a test 2 weeks ago online and the nearest date was late May (for Cork Blarney & LittleIsland). Checked a few other places and could have gotten one in Westport in April. Needless to say that wasn't going to work so I rang them and got put on their "list".

Recieved a text this morning with a booking for 4.10pm on 31st March. As I was on my way to work at the time I decided to ring them tomorrow to try get a more suitable time as a 4.10pm appointment would mean taking 3 hours off work to be safe - and I don't want to be wasting my holiday hours for an NCT.

Then stumbled across this thread tonight, saw all the posts about checking just after 8am (no chance) and after 11.30pm so thought I'd give it a shot. Have just rescheduled for 25th March at 12pm - MUCH better for me and a bare 2 week wait.

Just have to hope that if I get stopped in the meantime I won't get a Garda in bad form and they'll see that I've at least been trying to get the situation sorted as I can't really leave the car on the drive for another 2 weeks when I've a 70 mile daily work commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

guys, quick q - if nct fails on tyre tread, is it a free visual or a paid lane test? my tyres are ok still but i know need changing in the next month.

Free visual....used to be a paid retest as they had to get it up on the ramp to make sure the wheel would turn properly :rolleyes:

MGBGT, do you know the answer to my query?

I can't imagine the NCT crowd will be too eager to give you ammunition for a free test :).
    Did you ring from your mobile ? If so, you should be able to check your call records for the past few months online.

'fraid not mate. It was from the Landline. Oh well, there goes my free test!

You should be able to check your call records online from most landline providers. I know I can with Vodafone-at-home. And when I was with Eircom I could do it also.

Cheers Pal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jesus. wrote: »
    Colm is there any way of knowing when you tried to book the test barring going to your phone company?

I rang them a few weeks ago to go on the priority list and haven't heard from them yet but I don't know when exactly I placed the call. I'd say its around the 4 week mark now. I'll be trying for the free test if its over 28 days til they get back to me.

You should have got a text to say you were added to the priority list. If you didn't get one, it's possible they have an old number for you.

Call them and ask when you were placed on it, they won't bite!

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? I've just checked and I do indeed have a text from the 10th February.

Looks like I'll get a free test after all. Cheers Paulo :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? I've just checked and I do indeed have a text from the 10th February.

Looks like I'll get a free test after all. Cheers Paulo :)

Got one done yesterday for free. It's a good feeling passing a free test! :)

You'll defo get it free now. Give that you are over a month, now you can ring them and they might be able to get a test soon if you are flexible on times and locations. I had been on priority queue for Deansgrange and nothing was happening, so I rang and said ANY Dublin centre (or Kells) at ANY time. The lady rang back and got me a test within a week in Greenhills (which I did yesterday).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so you only get a free test if you booked over the phone?? why's that??

Becuase you have to request a test within 28 days to avail of this.
    If you book online then you are obviously accepting whatever date they give you and invalidating your chance of a free test.

Read their Charter, it explains it perfectly ;)

Just to clarify you also won't get free test if you book over the phone.

If you don't request it specifically, you won't get it.

If they offer you a test that's 3 months away and you just accept it then no, you will probably have to pay, because you accepted the date offered.
    you should actually request that they test your car within 28 days.

BTW Mrs MGB rang yesterday to book in a car she has just bought (NCT'd until 30/03). The girl on the phone was very friendly but couldn't offer anything for 3 months. When herself asked if the test would be free as it was beyond 28 days the girl said 'no, actually it's 6 weeks for a free test'.
    When told that 'no actually, it's 28 days' she backtracked and said she must have gotten a bit mixed up....

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    If they offer you a test that's 3 months away and you just accept it then no, you will probably have to pay, because you accepted the date offered.
    you should actually request that they test your car within 28 days.

BTW Mrs MGB rang yesterday to book in a car she has just bought (NCT'd until 30/03). The girl on the phone was very friendly but couldn't offer anything for 3 months. When herself asked if the test would be free as it was beyond 28 days the girl said 'no, actually it's 6 weeks for a free test'.
    When told that 'no actually, it's 28 days' she backtracked and said she must have gotten a bit mixed up....

Try online later in the evening - it worked for me and other posters.

Unless you can wait and get a free one.

I'm aware of that.
    You are the one asking me the questions....:confused:

I have a date sorted out for the Mrs car in 2 weeks.

I'm aware of that.
    You are the one asking me the questions....:confused:

I have a date sorted out for the Mrs car in 2 weeks.

I guess we both answer questions here, for some reason I answered one that you never asked:D

Have you booked online or the girl on the phone found one when she realised her mistake? Just asking...

Requested a test within the 28 days, was told the usual (priority list, etc.) and got a text back within 24 hours with a date for 2 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

Becuase you have to request a test within 28 days to avail of this.
    If you book online then you are obviously accepting whatever date they give you and invalidating your chance of a free test.

Read their Charter, it explains it perfectly ;)

Where does it say in the charter that you have to specifically request it within 28 days because I cant see it?

sully2010 wrote: »
    Where does it say in the charter that you have to specifically request it within 28 days because I cant see it?

I hope not because I didn't request Jack sh1t when I rang them. I've just waited to see if they'd test me within that time frame and seeing as they haven't, its only now I'm going to say it to them.

Jesus, seeing as you haven't accepted an appointment you should be fine. Just give them a ring, explain that you first contacted them over 28 days ago and do not expect to pay for the test (whenever they offer you one).

@sully...taken directly from the NCT site;
    • Ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual test centre is less than three weeks and no greater than four weeks. The customer will be provided with a test free of charge where an appointment cannot be offered within a four week period provided that:
    • The Customer has not declined a test appointment (either confirmed or provisional) more than twice, at a centre of their choosing, for the test due at this time
    • The Customer has not previously accepted a booking outside of the 4 week period.

The last point indicates that you have to look for a booking within the 28 days. If they were to text you with a booking that was beyond the 28 days and you didn't question it then you have 'accepted' it and are not entitled to a free test.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

Jesus, seeing as you haven't accepted an appointment you should be fine. Just give them a ring, explain that you first contacted them over 28 days ago and do not expect to pay for the test (whenever they offer you one).

@sully...taken directly from the NCT site;
    • Ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual test centre is less than three weeks and no greater than four weeks. The customer will be provided with a test free of charge where an appointment cannot be offered within a four week period provided that:
    • The Customer has not declined a test appointment (either confirmed or provisional) more than twice, at a centre of their choosing, for the test due at this time
    • The Customer has not previously accepted a booking outside of the 4 week period.

I still cant see how that means "you have to request a test within 28 days to avail of this" What I see is if you book online or call them they must give it within 28 days whether you requested it or not so long as you haven't done either of the 2 points above. No doubt they will try to tell everyone that but legally they they don't have a leg to stand on.

MGBGT, how is it I can't do the 11:30pm thing and book online? The damn thing won't accept the registration date from my logbook. I don't have a pin number from the past so it says you can use the vehicle registration date instead.

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the car was transferred from being a Taxi into a private car a couple of years ago could it?

@jesus, if you click on the 'pay online' button you should be able to at least see what dates are available online, without the need for a date of first reg, etc. (Using any Car's Number)

@sully, if you never actually tell them you want the test done within 28 days then you are tacitly accepting whatever date they offer....therefore you are accepting a date outside the 28 day window if that's all they offer.
    Basically, if you don't ask...you don't get.
    That's why I deliberately pointed out no.4, bullet point 3 in the Charter.
    If you feel that if they offer you a date 3 months away and that the test will be free even if you say nothing, that's fine by me.....but unless you say something you will have accepted that test date .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

I need to let people know. Had my nct today and my car is an 04 bmw so originally in mph.

However my odometer is changed to kmh as its easy to do via idrive.

They put down my reading as mph in the cert. i was aware this could happen and immediately told your man. He isnt irish and took me to my car and kept pointing at the big numbers on the speedo therefore its mph and he was correct.

After 10 mins finally agreed to get team leader who took a look at the car and took him up to get the cert changed.

Please check ur certs immediately, if you leave its too late.

@jesus, if you click on the 'pay online' button you should be able to at least see what dates are available online, without the need for a date of first reg, etc. (Using any Car's Number)

I can book it that way can I? If I got a spot later tonight, should I take it and pay or ring them and request a free test?

How would I be able to book it though?

Have you tried it?

You don't need date of registration when you book using your card.

Just tried that and got booked in for the 27th March.

No free test but I'm happy with that date :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Spipov wrote: »
    I need to let people know. Had my nct today and my car is an 04 bmw so originally in mph.

However my odometer is changed to kmh as its easy to do via idrive.

They put down my reading as mph in the cert. i was aware this could happen and immediately told your man. He isnt irish and took me to my car and kept pointing at the big numbers on the speedo therefore its mph and he was correct.

did that happen in Limerick by any chance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement