Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords to Sandyford commute route?

• 29-12-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi

Changing job in February and will be trekking out to Sandyford. Any suggestions on the 1) shortest 2) safest route.

Was looking at the into city centre Ranelagh, Clonskeagh, Goatstown.

Planning on going out tomorrow to check this route but happy to test other options.

Thnaks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Following the coast all the way through Deansgrange and then up to Sandyford is nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Deansgrange is a bit out of the way if you're looking for directness. You can go the route you're looking at, or you can go the n11, Brewery Road, Sandyford. None of them are great to be honest, the Coast road out the Merrion Gates, Booterstown Avenue, N11, Brewery Road from the East Link is probably the prettiest, You can go the Rock road either to the Merrion Gates Booterstown Ave., etc. Goatstown is probably the most direct, the Coast road the nicest, the Rock road and the N11 aren't in great order. Pro's and cons to each route, I'd say try them out and see which one you find the most tolerable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I live in Swords and drive to Sandyford. Few options - Go as far as Griffith Avenue,Malahide road, across liffey at point, east link, coast, blackrock, N11, Sandyford.
    If you go the coast, you'll be going up a long hill to get to N11 eitherway.

Shorter route is probably through town and out the N11, but very stop-starty and the N11 is a horrible road to cycle IMO (especially from town)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gucci001

del_boy13 wrote: »
    Hi

Changing job in February and will be trekking out to Sandyford. Any suggestions on the 1) shortest 2) safest route.

Was looking at the into city centre Ranelagh, Clonskeagh, Goatstown.

Planning on going out tomorrow to check this route but happy to test other options.

Thnaks

Did u figure out the best way? As I have to do this drive now

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Hi

Sticking with the bike as its the most reliable time wise. Going straight through town and straight out.

The route is down to Santry, Drumcondra, Dorset St, O'Connell St, Dame St, Georges St up to the Bleeding Horse then around the block and across the canal at the barge pub. Straight run out from there. The traffic in Ranelagh can be mental when the schools are open but its been fine this week.

I try not to drive but when I have to I go the M50 but the traffic can be crazy when I am leaving (before 7am or its just a car park on the M50). With the summer coming I would almost prefer to drive through town than use the M50 and I reckon it would be almost the same.

Cycling in to work taking it reasonably easy it takes about an hour (going hard I can arrive as a sweat bucket in around 50-55 minutes) going home is much easier as its downhill more less to the liffey and it wouldn't be unusual to only take 20 minutes to get from Sandyford to O'Connell St.

Hope this helps. I would recommend cycling it if you have access to showers and are reasonably fit.

PS There is an increase in punctures as most of the cycling is in the gutter (also known as cycling paths)

• Advertisement
Advertisement