Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What App for Turbo Trainer

• 29-12-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for an app that uses Bluetooth sensors so record/measure distances. Any I've tried (Cateye, Cyclemeter and another I've forgotten the name of) all rely on GPS for distance and measure the speed and cadence from the sensors. I need one that I can input tyre circumference and measure the distance using a Bluetooth sensor

I have the wahoo app too but it won't pick up the sensor despite the fact that when you use the troubleshooting function which is another app called Wahoo Utility, it picks up and reads from the sensor perfectly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Trainer road. End of.

Buy the old Garmin speed and cadence sensor and a USB ant+ stick. With a laptop and 10 a month fee, trainer road gives excellent training plans, and also virtual power readings. I have found it brilliant. First workout it gets you to do an FTP test. Then it bases your workout zones on the measured FTP. There are multiple plans and also integration with sufferfest videos if you so desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ah jazus I just want an app to display distance pedalled purely to give me a rough target for turbo sessions but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

If that is all you want then any cheap bike computer for like 30 euro will do that and come with the sensors and lcd display giving you distance based on bike computer. You dont need an app for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ah jazus I just want an app to display distance pedalled purely to give me a rough target for turbo sessions but thanks anyway.

Distance on a Turbo is no more meaningful than time, the distance covered depends on the resistance setting on the Turbo, you might have seen the thread about Strava where some guy on a Turbo was hoovering up KOM's averaging 150W while travelling at a turbo recorded speed of 50+ kph, which obviously would not be possible in the real world on the flat.

I want something to record distance so that I can gauge time/effort. If for example it takes me 20 minutes at resistance 3 to cycle 10kms then next time I can try and reduce the time taken to cover the same distance at the same resistance level. I'm only able to do the above if I have an idea of the distance I'm covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

As posted earlier, all you need is a cheapo bike computer to tell distance travelled...the Chinese site that shall not be named has them for about 5 euro delivered. These generate stats purely on the number of rotations of the wheel

Ok so no one has an app that records distance from a Bluetooth sensor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You don't need an app for that. Your bike computer does all that.

I've just signed up to trainer road. So far I think it's great.

I have a PM and am chasing watts so there is no gauging my effort. It tells me

Just to follow up. I found an App which does what I want, it's called Newco Bike Speed & Cadence and is available in the AppStore for free. Unfortunately it doesn't record sessions for future review but it displays distance, speed and Cadence and shows averages for the 3 which is all I really wanted. .

Advertisement