Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teaching in the UK?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,

I am considering going to the UK to do primary teaching. I am very confused and any advice anyone can offer would be gratefully received.
    I have recently graduated with a first in Social Care Work, so I am confused as to whether I should be looking at doing a Bachelor of Education in the UK, or a Postgrad Certificate in Education (PGCE)? - which I assume is for students who already have a degree, however I wonder is this only eligible for those who have a teaching related degree? Or could I do the PGCE having completed a degree in Social Care?
    Also, does anyone have any info on bursaries or whether I would be entitled to any financial funding having already got a degree? (Please excuse any silly questions I may ask, I am completely baffled and my online research leaves me more confused!)
    Has anyone went to the UK, if so what were your experiences? I do understand when I return to Ireland I must sit the required Irish exam, has anyone had any experience with this? Any info / advice / pros & cons much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I went to school in England and now have 5 friends doing a PGCE in Primary teaching. You can do any degree, as all your training in the Primary curriculum is given during your PGCE training.

This is info about loans:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

http://www.slc.co.uk/

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/student-finance/postgraduate-student-finance

Anymore info just ask :-) Don't do it in Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 countryqueen

Thanks a million for the advice - will look into that ! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

At present, the people at the Teaching Council haven't given a straight answer as to whether a 1-year PGCE in the UK or anywhere else will be recognised here. It's all down to ECTS (college credit). The new standard and recognised postgraduate primary teaching qualification in Ireland from September 2014 is the 2-year Professional Master of Education, which is equivalent to 120 ECTS. A 1-year PGCE in the UK is equivalent to 60 ECTS.

It's worth knowing exactly what you're getting yourself in for if you go down the PGCE route in the UK and hope to return to Ireland to teach. To be honest, I can't see the TC recognising the PGCE on its own as enough to be qualified to teach in Ireland.

Cheers for the info, from my research though the PGCE does count for 120 ECTS.

"Credit rating

The overall credit-rating of this programme is 120 credits, 60 credits at level 3 and 60 at M level to be awarded a Postgraduate Certificate in Education. "

It's a 2 year course, I can't post the link because I'm a new user.. but it's w w w. uel. ac. uk / postgrad / specs / pgce-prim / (altogether!)

A few friends of mine have done this course and came back to teach in Ireland, so I am certain it is recognized here. Found this website quite useful w w w. train 2 teach. org/ (altogether!) it says "The PGCE course is a worldwide recognized qualification and Irish students can return home to teach on completion of the course if they wish."

I have emailed the Teaching Council to confirm, as they don't seem to have very much information available about UK qualifications.

Thanks for all the advice, I am slowly getting a better picture of things!

"Credit rating

The overall credit-rating of this programme is 120 credits, 60 credits at level 3 and 60 at M level to be awarded a Postgraduate Certificate in Education. "

It's a 2 year course, I can't post the link because I'm a new user.. but it's w w w. uel. ac. uk / postgrad / specs / pgce-prim / (altogether!) I should mention the second year is the probation year.

A few friends of mine have done this course and came back to teach in Ireland, so I am certain it is recognized here. Found this website quite useful w w w. train 2 teach. org/ (altogether!) it says "The PGCE course is a worldwide recognized qualification and Irish students can return home to teach on completion of the course if they wish."

I have emailed the Teaching Council to confirm, as they don't seem to have very much information available about UK qualifications.

• Advertisement

"Credit rating

It's a 2 year course, I can't post the link because I'm a new user.. but it's w w w. uel. ac. uk / postgrad / specs / pgce-prim / (altogether!) I should mention the second year is the probation year.

UK universities use CATS as opposed to ECTS. 1 ECTS = 2 CATS, therefore 60 ECTS = 120 CATS. Which means that the course you mention is still 60 ECTS short.

Also, by the looks of that course, it's 38 weeks full-time (a 1-year course practically speaking) as opposed to 2 as you mentioned. Your second year being the probation year doesn't have anything to do with the course itself, its credits and its duration.

Regarding your friends who have done the course, I have no doubt that their qualification is recognised here, but they would have completed their PGCE prior to September 2014. All courses commenced since September 2014 will have to meet the new credit and duration requirements.

I see, so I'm just wondering what would your advice be for someone like me who wants to do primary teaching? The demand in Ireland is so high I don't want to waste anymore more time applying time and time again here only to be unsuccessful. For me the UK seems to be the best route. What are these changes you speak about from September 2014? Have you any links with any further information? Thank you in advance.

I see, so I'm just wondering what would your advice be for someone like me who wants to do primary teaching? The demand in Ireland is so high I don't want to waste anymore more time applying time and time again here only to be unsuccessful. For me the UK seems to be the best route. What are these changes you speak about from September 2014? Have you any links with any further information? Thank you in advance.

The changes I'm speaking of are the increased amount of ECTS required and duration of the course. If you search the Teaching Council's website you'll find information on it.

My advice to you is to keep in regular contact with the TC until they can give a straight answer as to how PGCE graduates from 2015 onwards will be able to address their qualification shortfalls for the purposes of being recognised to teach in Ireland. It's unacceptable that the TC still haven't planned for this. Keep at them and at them! Otherwise it may be a long time before UK PGCE graduates from 2015 will know where they stand.

I won't advise you to keep on trying in Ireland nor will I advise you to go the UK route. There isn't enough information available for me to give such advice nor for you to make an informed decision.

Best of luck with whatever you do. Keep us informed as to what the TC end up telling you.

Have searched the TC website but can't find any information whatsoever on what you're telling me about , I could be searching for the wrong thing altogether as I'm quite confused. This is the first I've heard of these changes. Maybe if you get a chance at some stage you could leave a direct link explaining the changes from sept 2014 which will prevent Irish students doing primary teaching in the UK. Many thanks for your time and advice!

• Advertisement

Much clearer now, thanks so much - feel back to square one but I wait in hope to hear back from the TC

Much clearer now, thanks so much - feel back to square one but I wait in hope to hear back from the TC

Any word from the TC?

Apologies for the delay, so very hard to get an answer from the TC. After many emails back and forth I just phoned them there. So basically their reply was that as this is all new they can't exactly say what the shortfalls will be... which to be is a bit of a joke. They said they will have to wait and see when they receive applications from outside of Ireland to determine what the shortfalls are. However, I was informed that under the EU Directive once I qualify in the UK and gain QTS it must be recognized here as both are member states of the EU. I was also told that once I return to Ireland after qualifying in the UK I can still register and sub here, while completing any shortfalls they may find, and I'd have 3 years to complete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mattdam0n

Hi countryqueen,

I am in a similar position to you in that I am looking to do a Primary PGCE in the UK. What universities are you thinking of applying to?

Kevin

mattdam0n wrote: »
    Hi countryqueen,

I am in a similar position to you in that I am looking to do a Primary PGCE in the UK. What universities are you thinking of applying to?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I am mainly looking at the university of East london. I have a few friends who went there and recommended it to me. The location appeals to me too. From my research, it seems to have very good reviews. Also, there's a huge amount of Irish attending there for the primary PGCE. But to be honest I'm open minded, once I get the qualification I need.

How are you finding things Kevin? Are you hoping to go September of this year? What universtites were you considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mattdam0n

Hi Kevin, I am mainly looking at the university of East london. I have a few friends who went there and recommended it to me. The location appeals to me too. From my research, it seems to have very good reviews. Also, there's a huge amount of Irish attending there for the primary PGCE. But to be honest I'm open minded, once I get the qualification I need.

How are you finding things Kevin? Are you hoping to go September of this year? What universtites were you considering?

Yeah hoping to go this year but haven't applied for any yet. I'm currently weighing things up. I Was looking at UEL too, as well as some other London based Unis, and Edgehill in Liverpool aswell. Would love to do it in London but The £4000 bursary wouldnt last long there! Have you applied yet?

mattdam0n wrote: »
    Yeah hoping to go this year but haven't applied for any yet. I'm currently weighing things up. I Was looking at UEL too, as well as some other London based Unis, and Edgehill in Liverpool aswell. Would love to do it in London but The £4000 bursary wouldnt last long there! Have you applied yet?

Same as myself, I haven't applied anywhere yet either. Like you I'm trying to weigh things up and figure it all out. Tell me more about the £4k bursary? I wasn't aware of that!.. I feel I've still so much to find out about studying over there, quite hard to get it all figured out. Do you know what the deadline for applications are ?

Advertisement