Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew To Join Crystal Palace

• 29-12-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Per The Guardian and many others this evening:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/29/alan-pardew-crystal-palace-manager-newcastle-united
    Alan Pardew is poised to become the manager of Crystal Palace although talks are continuing over a compensation package with Newcastle United.

Pardew declined to attend post-match interviews after Newcastle’s 3-2 home win against Everton on Sunday, so as to avoid the need to discuss the Palace vacancy.

He has since made it clear to the Newcastle owner, Mike Ashley, currently on holiday in Barbados, that he wants to join Palace after growing frustrated at St James’ Park.

Although he is the Premier League’s second longest serving manager at just over four years, Pardew has been severely restricted by the club’s transfer policy and worn down by a growing campaign by a large section of fans to have him removed.

A deal over compensation, understood to be in the region of £2m, looks like a formality with talks between Ashley and the Palace co-chairman, Steve Parish, taking place on Monday afternoon.

Pardew is one of the lowest paid managers in the league and Palace will at least match his salary. His arrival will probably be followed by a bid for the Swansea striker Bafétimbi Gomis at around £6m. Palace are away to Aston Villa on New Year’s Day.

@BBCNewcastle
    BBC Newcastle understands Alan Pardew will leave @nufc after agreement was reached with Crystal Palace over his departure to Selhurst Park.

What are your thoughts on this appointment from both Palace and Newcastle perspectives?

The vast majority of Newcastle supporters will be delighted with this news. I can completely understand their frustrations with him, but finishes of 12th, 5th, 16th and 10th and looking like being comfortable again this season while having little to no say in transfer policy etc isn't that bad despite the obvious frustrations that go with him.

Newcastle's next appointment will be very interesting. They would have been relatively comfortable under Pardew every year and Ashley was obviously very happy with that given how the club had been performing in the transfer market. I believe he has never paid compensation for another manager, so will he continue that and try to play it safe for as cheap as possible, or go out and recruit someone already in employment?

I personally feel Pulis would be quite a good appointment, but given that he left Palace over disagreements in transfer policy with the board, will he work somewhere where he'd have even less influence? I'm sure many people, Newcastle fans especially, will be expecting another "puppet" who will be happy to manager a club of that size as a trade off for doing what they are told by Ashley. Someone like Tim Sherwood would fit that profile IMO.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think Pulis would work under Ashley but looking at Ashleys appointments at Newcastle, theyve all been guys out of work.

It certainly makes the next appointment very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is very strange altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bring back Kinnear to Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Exciting times for NUFC fans. Hope you get someone decent in, not tim sherwood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The problems at Newcastle lie with Ashley, and yet the fans focused almost exclusively on Pardew. But it really wasn't the manager.

I hope they don't think the next appointment will change anything. Because it won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Shearer for NUFC* !!!

*At least it'll get him off MotD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Saipanne wrote: »
    The problems at Newcastle lie with Ashley, and yet the fans focused almost exclusively on Pardew. But it really wasn't the manager.

I hope they don't think the next appointment will change anything. Because it won't.

Hopefully our next manager won't go around headbutting players or losing 4 consecutive derbies, whilst all the time setting new abysmal records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I say moysey is sick now he took the job in Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Hopefully our next manager won't go around headbutting players or losing 4 consecutive derbies, whilst all the time setting new abysmal records.

Bar the headbutt, the buck stops with Ashley. But you can continue to believe that a new manager will somehow magic it all better.

Until you lot set up:

sacksherwood.com

or

sackpulis.com

Or whatever nonsense you produce that ignores Newcastles primary problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

ricero wrote: »
    I say moysey is sick now he took the job in Spain
    Why? Are Newcastle more appealing than Sociedad? God he must hate the horrible standard of life in Spain too.

• Advertisement

Bar the headbutt, the buck stops with Ashley. But you can continue to believe that a new manager will somehow magic it all better.

Until you lot set up:

sacksherwood.com

or

sackpulis.com

Bar the headbutt, the pushing of referees, the verbal abusing of older, superior managers on the sideline, the tactical ineptitude, the stifling of creativity, and the sheer sense of self-righteousness from a manager that has been sacked from almost all of his previous jobs?

See, we as Newcastle fans, or 99% at least, realise that Mike Ashley isn't moving from SJP anytime soon, and the fact of the matter is, with the right manager - the setup in place on Tyneside can work.

Our scouting network, recruitment staff are one of the best around in unearthing young, high potential players.
    Our youth system is continually improving, and is something which Ashley has put a lot of money into. Rolando Aarons, Adam Armstrong, Paul Dummett, Sammy Ameobi are just a few that have come through that system and have played first team football this year.

I would love if Ashley sold up to an owner more interested in succeeding with the club, but I don't see any buyers coming forward.

NUFC fans want a respectable manager that isn't spineless, and doesn't talk absolute horséshít to deflect the blame from himself.
    It would also be great if the manager would play his strongest team, in their strongest positions.

Hopefully when AP goes to Palace (if!) we'll see how he fares out with them in terms of the transfer market and league position.

We don't expect a magical transformation, but it would be brilliant to have a manager that is a walking joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Until you lot set up:

sacksherwood.com

or

sackpulis.com

Another person who probably doesn't watch Newcastle as much as its fanbase but will stick a few jibes in thinking they're experts on the matter. Bravo yet again.

Ashley is the problem yes and nobody disputes that. Pardew is a dreadful manager both tactically and the way he handles himself in the media is a shambles for the most part.

We were going nowhere under him and to be honest, we probably won't go a great deal further until Ashley sells up and moves on.

However, watching Newcastle under Pardew has been awful and depressing. Just sucked the life out of it for me and many others. At least we can have a bit of buzz and excitement in the old girl again at least for the time being.

I have a feeling it'll be a paltry appointment anyway because well... Ashley.

People will say, "ah but look at that run you had" or "look at the injuries you have". That run, while great was similar to the run we had before our best player was sold in January.

The same will happen this time with Sissoko probably a shoe in to leave in the window.

Newcastle were lucky last season and the year before that to not get relegated. The stats don't lie about Pardew's record. It's abysmal and I hope this deal is pushed through as fast as possible for him to leave.

The timing is very strange given that he had ample opportunity to join them in the summer when he should have been sacked then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A few months ago and Newcastle fans would have been dancing celebrating the news. I wonder what they feel now

A few months ago and Newcastle fans would have been dancing celebrating the news. I wonder what they feel now

Still dancing pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Magpies will be looking back on Pardew as a golden-plated era, Mike Ashley is the issue and whoever goes in will be selling the best and holding station mid-table. So a manager like De Boer is unlikely whereas Steve Bruce is quite possible.

I hope someone like Eddie Howe doesn't get suckered into jumping ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Pardew was on a yearly rolling contract wasn't he?

Not sure exactly tbh

Magpies will be looking back on Pardew as a golden era, Mike Ashley is the issue and whoever goes in will be selling the best and holding station mid-table. So a manager like De Boer is unlikely whereas Steve Bruce is quite possible.

A golden era? I think you mean a brown era my friend?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Still dancing pal.

I was thinking as much really but he had turned in around for ye. Never liked him myself. As others say as long as your next manager realises that Ashley has the final say and he knows best and can work that way you will well stay in the same mid table positions as allways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm moonwalking into the robot non-stop.

Not sure exactly tbh

That's the belief yes. So Palace would essentially only have to pay for 1 year compensation if that information is indeed correct.

• Advertisement

Not sure exactly tbh

Was it not 10 but had some clauses or something in it

Pardew is a lot of things but not stupid enough to sign a 1 year rolling contract

I was thinking as much really but he had turned in around for ye. Never liked him myself. As others say as long as your next manager realises that Ashley has the final say and he knows best and can work that way you will well stay in the same mid table positions as allways

The season we finished 5th was great. Loved every bit of that campaign. From there, it got to his head. Fúcked about with the team too much and it nearly cost us.

Last season we had a blip of form in an otherwise bag of shíte season. This season bar the blip has been more or less the same. Win 1 to lose 3. His record is laughable and how he managed to not get sacked during the summer is beyond me.

But again, it's Ashley who doesn't wanna fork out any compensation. He must be grinning right now that somebody is coming in with a bag of cash to take him away from us.

The next appointment will certainly be nothing to write home about. My money's on McCoist. Runs with Ashley's last few appointments. He's unemployed and has connections due to the Rangers deal Ashley has in place.

He'll be cheap too which is what Ashley is all about.

Just a guess but I think it's a realistic guess and a realistic vision of the level of ambition Ashley wants for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

McCoist would be an hilarious appointment, I'd feel a tiny bit sorry for Newcastle fans but too much.
    Palace is pretty mch as big a job Pardew was ever going to get post Newcastle but I can see them being relegated either this season or next. It will go sour eventually there but he will have a bit of goodwill with the fans which will help in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

By all accounts, Pardew is an odious cretin, perhaps the football his teams play isn't great but for anyone who thinks his results were dreadful, you're talking sh1te. Pardew has done a very good job results wise. Once he goes, people will realise just how good.

If Newcastle fans think they belong anywhere above where they are, they're living in Fantasyland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

While Pardew hasnt set the world alight at NUFC I am looking forward to him giving a big two fingers to the fans. As I am (thankfully) not a Newcastle supporter I dont know if it is a minority or sizeable amount of fans that want him out and, of course, anyone can set up a website.

I actually will keep a hopeful eye out for the two clubs in the hope that Pardew leaving will damage Newcastle and hopefully improve Palace just to really pi$$ off those Newcastle fans that showed no loyalty to a decent, hard working manage dealing with a limited hand.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    By all accounts, Pardew is an odious cretin, perhaps the football his teams play isn't great but for anyone who thinks his results were dreadful, you're talking sh1te. Pardew has done a very good job results wise. Once he goes, people will realise just how good.

If Newcastle fans think they belong anywhere above where they are, they're living in Fantasyland.

Not a fan of stats, but these give a good account of how our results have fared out over the past couple of years.

B6DYuitIcAAps0Z.jpg:medium

But then again, you've watched every game under AP since he took charge to form a stern, well informed opinion I suppose....

Better than Villa in almost all of them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Independent reporting that Colocinni will be appointed player manager :confused:

That could work. Mad and all as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pardew given permission to talk to Palace

That could work. Mad and all as it sounds.

They say he has a "strong relationship" with Ashley. So in other words he'll be happy to have no say in transfers, do the PR and act as a bit of a puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Not a fan of stats, but these give a good account of how our results have fared out over the past couple of years.

B6DYuitIcAAps0Z.jpg:medium

But then again, you've watched every game under AP since he took charge to form a stern, well informed opinion I suppose....

Na just judging his results and league finishes. I said as much if you read my post properly. Football might not be great but results wise, he's at least where Newcastle should be if not higher.

Look at the quality of the squad. It's piss poor. He's had his best players sold out from under him. He had a fruit and nut case installed above him not so long ago. He has a difficult owner to deal with. Newcastle are a basket case. Watch how it deteriorates once he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Coloccini to take over must be the craziest headline of the past few seasons. I hope it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Coloccini to take over must be the craziest headline of the past few seasons. I hope it happens.

Jaime carragher just burst out laughing on hearing that news on MNF!!

Same reaction as majority of football fans I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

That was my reaction anyways....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Better than Villa in almost all of them though.

This was also the first thing that I took from the image!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Who will replace Pardew?

Getting in De Boer is fantasy. He won't leave Ajax now and I can't see him agreeing to take over at a club with such transfer restrictions.

Na just judging his results and league finishes. I said as much if you read my post properly. Football might not be great but results wise, he's at least where Newcastle should be if not higher.

Look at the quality of the squad. It's piss poor. He's had his best players sold out from under him. He had a fruit and nut case installed above him not so long ago. He has a difficult owner to deal with. Newcastle are a basket case. Watch how it deteriorates once he goes.

Have a look at the second column in that picture!!

Who will replace Pardew?

Getting in De Boer is fantasy. He won't leave Ajax now and I can't see him agreeing to take over at a club with such transfer restrictions.

Agreed, not in a million years will we land him. Next destination Liverpool one would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

So he was nearly sacked, then turned it around won manager of the month, now he's leaving for Palace with Coloccini set to take over?? He will probably start up front and then sell himself on the last day of January, Newcastle give us so much entertainment it's incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Utter rubbish. Barely even worth a reply. Heaven forbid we dare to dream about being better or hoping for a competent manager and an owner who actually invests in the club.

anyone who thinks his results were dreadful, you're talking sh1te.

I suppose losing 19 (half) of our league games last year count as "good results". 11 of those games saw us concede 3 or more goals. But yeah. Ignore facts and all that. Everyone else does. We're just fickle.

Ah this old chestnut. Don't see anybody around here saying that we deserve to be anywhere near the top of the table.

What I do see and hear from other Newcastle fans is that we want a manager who goes about his job in a classy and dignified way. Yes, we'll lose games but we just want the team set up right with players giving their all in their correct positions.

Pardew proved time and time again to be completely inept with his team and nullified a lot of creativity by adopting a more defensive approach with players who really can't defend for shít.

Continually applying a 4-2-3-1 with little or no results is utter madness. Trying things out every so often is grand but to not see what the world and its dog can week in and week out was infuriating.

I'm glad he looks to be gone. His ego and his character, admittedly I liked at one stage, wore off pretty fast with his spoofing and utter crap pouring out of his mouth.

A club that once had Bobby Robson leading the way to a gutter mouth smug so and so in Pardew is not fitting of a Newcastle I grew up with.

The club is rotten and until Ashley goes it'll remain rotten but at least one part of the furniture has been taken away for now. Who we get in? Who knows? Likely Coloccini if sources are to be believed.

Or am I in "fairyland"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm not a huge Pardew fan but the treatment he has gotten by some fans isn't right. Don't forget he got them to 5th place and a Europa Quarter Final in his spell with them. They may not be threatening high up the table but the league is very competitive.

Considering before he was appointed most fans didn't want him there would suggest that no matter what he would have done fans would criticise him. Fair play to him for lasting this long to be fair.

Newcastle fans will rejoice and celebrate now in the short term but I wouldn't exactly want a managerial transition half way through the season when things have been going relatively good for them in recent weeks.

For Pardew I'd like to see him do well in Palace, as I said wouldn't be his biggest admirer but he has a lot of passion and seems the players listen to him and respect him for the most part.

So he was nearly sacked, then turned it around won manager of the month, now he's leaving for Palace with Coloccini set to take over?? He will probably start up front and then sell himself on the last day of January, Newcastle give us so much entertainment it's incredible

What exactly has he turned around out of curiosity? Winning a few games on the trot doesn't make up for anything as far as I'm concerned.

Out of 229 matches here's his record.

W - 83
    D - 50
    L - 96
    GD - 63

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

From what I could see he had a very good 11/12 season, then apart from 2 purple patches in 13/14 and this season it has been fairly dismal stuff.

Best for everyone I feel. Newcastle fans get a fresh start, and Pardew can walk away feeling like he did a solid job.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm not a huge Pardew fan but the treatment he has gotten by some fans isn't right. Don't forget he got them to 5th place and a Europa Quarter Final in his spell with them. They may not be threatening high up the table but the league is very competitive.

In fairness, he gave us our best season in yonks. Got to a heap of games that season too which was great and absolutely enjoyed it. We had our fair share of luck for sure but we certainly rode it at times too.
    Considering before he was appointed most fans didn't want him there would suggest that no matter what he would have done fans would criticise him. Fair play to him for lasting this long to be fair.

Think of the scenario surrounding his appointment at the time. Hughton, who took us straight back to the PL at the first time of asking gets his arse handed to him with Pardew, coming off a sacking from League 1 Southampton, of course nobody wanted him. However, there were many who would give him a bit of time. At this stage anger was directed at Ashley and his cohorts for Hughton's unfair dismissal.
    Newcastle fans will rejoice and celebrate now in the short term but I wouldn't exactly want a managerial transition half way through the season when things have been going relatively good for them in recent weeks.

These things can go either way and with Ashley it'll only go one way. It'll be cheap and it'll be half assed. The rumours of Coloccini prove this anyway.

Our results have been pretty dire in recent weeks. Bar the Everton win yesterday, we lost 4 on bounce and conceded 11 with just 2 scored.
    For Pardew I'd like to see him do well in Palace, as I said wouldn't be his biggest admirer but he has a lot of passion and seems the players listen to him and respect him for the most part.

He probably does have a lot of passion but as far as I can tell, the only player that has really come out and praised Pardew in the public eye has been Mike Williamson and that's mainly because he knows that no other manager in their right mind would start him because he's horrendous.

Unearthly wrote: »
    From what I could see he had a very good 11/12 season, then apart from 2 purple patches in 13/14 and this season it has been fairly dismal stuff.

Best for everyone I feel. Newcastle fans get a fresh start, and Pardew can walk away feeling like he did a solid job.

Pretty much the nail on the head there. Fresh start may depend on who comes in there but will probably be still the same story off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Maybe I'm mad but I don't think Pardew did all that badly at Newcastle. Granted he could be a bit of an eejit but aside from that he had an owner with no real ambition to invest or win things and a wage bill of a mid table premier league side. He generally had them around that position apart from one good season when they finished 5th and one bad season when they finished 16th. I don't think the recent derby defeats have done him any favours with the fans but overall he probably did a reasonable job in the circumstances. Not great but not terrible either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Surprised Maradona has not been mentioned for the role :)

I don't think the recent derby defeats have done him any favours with the fans but overall he probably did a reasonable job in the circumstances. Not great but not terrible either.

I think that's probably the fairest assessment. IMO the truth is somewhere in the middle between those who feel he did very well and those who would do anything to get him out. That said, I can understand both points of view.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement