Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew To Join Crystal Palace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Saipanne wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but I was right about everything.

:-)

Where did you disappear too?!

nelson-simpsons-haha.jpg

Paully D wrote: »
    No win in 13 Premier League games now (dating back to before Christmas) after another defeat this gameweek and he has somehow managed to out-do himself with the first third of his programme comments ahead of the Leicester game:

Cd6bUKbWwAAPeXn.jpg

I think it's a very honest assessment.

Benteke did make a meal after being touched, and he acknowledges that his own player could have a similar charge levelled against him.

It's an interesting stat about Leicester, but of course he doesn't suggest that there is something wrong with the decisions, because it could be down to their style of play. A team that gets the ball into the box, often and at speed, may well benefit from opponents lunges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think it's a very honest assessment.

It's the furthest thing from honest. He's blaming all and sundry ahead of himself, his tactics and team selections.

Never his fault. Nope. Not good old Saint Pardew. Sure how could it be his fault when everybody else is to blame for their god awful form.

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's the furthest thing from honest. He's blaming all and sundry ahead of himself, his tactics and team selections.

Never his fault. Nope. Not good old Saint Pardew. Sure how could it be his fault when everybody else is to blame for their god awful form.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/14309523.CRYSTAL_PALACE__Pardew_accepts_blame_for_Premier_League_form_ahead_of_Sunderland_trip/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Pardew “We're not going to put our head in the sand. We've been short of offensive players, but we can't keep leaning on that. I'm not going to make excuses.”
    lol makes an excuse and follows it up by saying hes not making excuses,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

“We took the lead and if it wasn’t for exuberance at the end, trying to get a second and the crowd urging us on and all getting a little bit carried away, we would have a really big victory today.”

“Certainly we face a difficult season next year – We have the African Cup of Nations, the Olympics and Europa League.”

“Today was a little bit unfair on us. We couldn’t move the game to Sunday because of the Notting Hill Carnival.”

“I genuinely think that without the Europa League our performances will be a lot stronger.”

“The grass was a bit long for our liking”

“The first half was difficult because there wasn’t 50,000 in here to assess, I thought we played quite well.”

“We were affected by the World Cup, there’s no doubt about that in my mind.”

Good old Alan "Excuses" Pardew. Yet when things go well he's all over the place taking credit for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Those programme notes are absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe any manager would write such a thing. Literally just says that the only reason Palace aren't where Leicester are is that they have had worse luck with injuries and penalties. Madness. He's taking absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for the fact thar they are the only team in the Football League that haven't won a game in 2016. You'd think even Pardew couldn't put that dreadful stat down to just pure bad luck and poor decisions. But if you thought that you'd be wrong, he has no problem at all doing just that.

I'd say to hazard a complete guess about him, he's the kind of guy that when he goes in first generally has a good effect on a place and things start to go well and players like him. But then once other teams start to figure them out he is unable to change anything tactically or in terms of changing the personnel and he starts to blame everyone but himself, including critically, his own players. Soon enough the players and fans wise up to the fact that he's unable to do anything tactically to change things up and his only solution is to blame players, referees, injuries etc. Very quickly they all lose faith in him and things go on a drastic downward spiral.

This will be his last Premiership job I would think. There's every chance that they'll go down I think. They need probaby 5 points from their last 7 games and on all known form it's very hard to see them getting those. I think there's a very decent chance that 2 out of Sunderland, Newcastle and Norwich will be able to catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Those programme notes are absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe any manager would write such a thing. Literally just says that the only reason Palace aren't where Leicester are is that they have had worse luck with injuries and penalties. Madness. He's taking absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for the fact thar they are the only team in the Football League that haven't won a game in 2016. You'd think even Pardew couldn't put that dreadful stat down to just pure bad luck and poor decisions. But if you thought that you'd be wrong, he has no problem at all doing just that.

I'd say to hazard a complete guess about him, he's the kind of guy that when he goes in first generally has a good effect on a place and things start to go well and players like him. But then once other teams start to figure them out he is unable to change anything tactically or in terms of changing the personnel and he starts to blame everyone but himself, including critically, his own players. Soon enough the players and fans wise up to the fact that he's unable to do anything tactically to change things up and his only solution is to blame players, referees, injuries etc. Very quickly they all lose faith in him and things go on a drastic downward spiral.

This will be his last Premiership job I would think. There's every chance that they'll go down I think. They need probaby 5 points from their last 7 games and on all known form it's very hard to see them getting those. I think there's a very decent chance that 2 out of Sunderland, Newcastle and Norwich will be able to catch them.

He has always come across as a craven, prickly type plus his touchline antics with opposition players and managers seems to highlight his true nature. Unpleasant

Alonso77 wrote: »
    He has always come across as a craven, prickly type plus his touchline antics with opposition players and managers seems to highlight his true nature. Unpleasant

It doesn't matter a jot.

The better the manager, the nastier they seem to be. Until some of the greats, Clough, Ferguson, Mourinho...seem almost intolerable, caricatures. Take Ferguson, ruining the careers of players who didn't employ his son as agent, not talking to sections of the media for pointing that out, suing over the semen of a horse he got as a gift, writing self serving books to slam former colleagues and friends etc. etc.

It doesn't matter a jot.

The better the manager, the nastier they seem to be. Until some of the greats, Clough, Ferguson, Mourinho...seem almost intolerable, caricatures. Take Ferguson, ruining the careers of players who didn't employ his son as agent, not talking to sections of the media for pointing that out, suing over the semen of a horse he got as a gift, writing self serving books to slam former colleagues and friends etc. etc.

lol, comparing PArdew to those guys. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lol, comparing PArdew to those guys. :rolleyes:

Yes.

You really got the point. When I said that 3 named great managers were famously nasty, I wasn't making the point that being nice is irrelevant, I was (as you spotted) making the point that Pardew is as good as them.

Yes.

You really got the point. When I said that 3 named great managers were famously nasty, I wasn't making the point that being nice is irrelevant, I was (as you spotted) making the point that Pardew is as good as them.

Nonsense, Pardew and his carry on and managerial record is in no way applicable or relevant to those names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He actually seemed quite likeable when he did the Big Interview with Graham Hunter, that was when things were going well though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It doesn't matter a jot.

The better the manager, the nastier they seem to be.

Not won a league game in 2016.
    Dropped from 5th to 16th.

Better manager indeed.

Nonsense, Pardew and his carry on and managerial record is in no way applicable or relevant to those names

You actually posted solely about his carry on. Here is your post. In full.

Your post is solely about behaviour, conduct etc. When I referred to the behaviour and conduct of others, you remarkably managed to misconstrue your own point and thought it was about comparing their success.

I can't believe I am explaining someone's own point to him...:D

You actually posted solely about his carry on. Here is your post. In full.

Your post is solely about behaviour, conduct etc. When I referred to the behaviour and conduct of others, you remarkably managed to misconstrue your own point and thought it was about comparing their success.

I can't believe I am explaining someone's own point to him...:D

Ha ha. Nice try but no, just no. What have the managers you mentioned got to do with pardew? What point are you making mentioning them? What is the relevance of those managers to pardew?

FA Cup aside Conor, do you still think Pardew is a good manager despite the record of:

30 games played.
    15 losses.
    Going from 5th to 16th.
    No league win since December. (12 games)

It's a poor record but do you honestly think he's still a good manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Am I the only one who read the guy wasnt comparing Pardew to greats just that they were all dicks, and being nice or not had nothing to do with his talents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fair play to Conor74 to stay here and continue to beat a dead horse in terms of the Pardew argument where Saipanne has ran with his tail between his legs long ago.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Fair play to Conor74 to stay here and continue to beat a dead horse in terms of the Pardew argument...

It's not a dead horse.

I'm a big man, I'm willing to concede that at the moment he has gone from very good to good, and the past 3 months have been a blot on his copybook.

But a trip to Wembley and keeping Palace up would see him step back up again.

It's not a dead horse.

I'm a big man, I'm willing to concede that at the moment he has gone from very good to good, and the past 3 months have been a blot on his copybook.

But a trip to Wembley and keeping Palace up would see him step back up again.

It's a dead horse. Newcastle fans predicted this would happen. Even they probably couldn't have predicted it would fall apart so badly, but they did predict it would happen. After weeks of gloating (particularly from Saipanne) about how right he was, the argument from the Newcastle fans that this was the Pardew way appears to have been proven to be correct after all.

It's a dead horse. Newcastle fans predicted this would happen. Even they probably couldn't have predicted it would fall apart so badly, but they did predict it would happen. After weeks of gloating (particularly from Saipanne) about how right he was, the argument from the Newcastle fans that this was the Pardew way appears to have been proven to be correct after all.

I seem to have been dragged into the whole thing by observing that he had NUFC overachieving and didn't get much in the line of gratitude.

I think their record since, with a few managers and tens of millions thrown at transfers failing to arrest the decline, amply demonstrates my initial point.

I seem to have been dragged into the whole thing by observing that he had NUFC overachieving and didn't get much in the line of gratitude.

I think their record since, with a few managers and tens of millions thrown at transfers failing to arrest the decline, amply demonstrates my initial point.
    Well those are 2 narratives that don't necessarily link very well. Newcastle are a shambolic club but that doesn't mean their fans aren't entitled to an opinion on their former managers in the same way someone who supports a good team would.

They pointed out the typical Pardew trend, start well, but then crash badly. A certain poster scoffed at those observations, posted almost weekly to let people know how right he/she was, but now that those predictions have happened, said poster is nowhere to be seen, and the predictions of the Newcastle fans have proven to be completely accurate to date.

That their team is currently faring even worse is immaterial to their right to an opinion, otherwise we'd have to defer to the resident Barca fans on all issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,542 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Didn't he only have one good season? He got gratitude then alright, but the other seasons left much to be desired, alongside with acting like a cretin and making multiple excuses. At the time, he had to go. Much easier to get rid of a manager than an owner.

Yes the next managers didn't work. Jon Carver and Steve Mcclaren, hardly world beaters, and one who was on the board of the club too. Many clubs would fail if they ended with those two in charge successively.

The difference is, Newcastle fans have been taunted even though everything they said would happen, is happening.

Despite it being unlikely, there is still a chance Palace could get relegated, based on less than half a good season. That's not the mark of a good manager. The problem for palace is that it could go wrong and time will be done for them to change that.

They pointed out the typical Pardew trend, start well, but then crash badly.

I think he ended pretty well at Newcastle too, he left them in 10th place and went off to turn around a club that had won 3 of their opening 20 games. It was, by any stretch, a remarkable achievement...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/alan-pardew-has-kept-both-newcastle-and-crystal-palace-in-the-premier-league-does-he-deserve-to-be-10207416.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,542 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think he ended pretty well at Newcastle too, he left them in 10th place and went off to turn around a club that had won 3 of their opening 20 games. It was, by any stretch, a remarkable achievement...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/alan-pardew-has-kept-both-newcastle-and-crystal-palace-in-the-premier-league-does-he-deserve-to-be-10207416.html

I'd say he finished just equalling what would be expected of them.

Then he starts again at Palace, and what was predicted, is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I'm really sorry I read the last few pages, some posters just love arguing smugly, incorrectly and smugly.

I'm really sorry I read the last few pages, some posters just love arguing smugly, incorrectly and smugly.

Bound to happen when Palace had a dip in form.

Bound to happen when Palace had a dip in form.

It's almost impressive that someone can be so delusional.

Gutierrez is suing the club right now due to the way he was treated when he returned from his cancer. The manager told him to piss off and find another club and that he was a liability. Guess who was said manager.

That's the kind of man that you continue to defend in the face of cold hard facts and all logic. It's astounding really.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    It's almost impressive that someone can be so delusional.

Gutierrez is suing the club right now due to the way he was treated when he returned from his cancer. The manager told him to piss off and find another club and that he was a liability. Guess who was said manager.

That's the kind of man that you continue to defend in the face of cold hard facts and all logic. It's astounding really.

First of all, those accusations are denied. Secondly, the same player also made accusations about the subsequent manager. And the owner.

It won't be the first time a footballer has made allegations about a manager, and it won't be the last. And as I said, even if there is a finding that the comment he claims was made was actually made, I'm not assessing Pardew's character. Merely what he has managed to achieve with clubs like Palace and Newcastle.

• Advertisement

First of all, those accusations are denied. Secondly, the same player also made accusations about the subsequent manager. And the owner.

It won't be the first time a footballer has made allegations about a manager, and it won't be the last. And as I said, even if there is a finding that the comment he claims was made was actually made, I'm not assessing Pardew's character. Merely what he has managed to achieve with clubs like Palace and Newcastle.

A denial from those people means very little. Sure let's see what happens, it's gone to tribunal now anyway.

What achievements? Constant failure, excuses but with a small purple patch here and there. Don['t even bring up his cup run with Palace. He failed in the cups every year with us(Stevenage and Brighton knocked Newcastle out(twice!)) under his "leadership". Any mug can do well in a cup. Look at Villa last year and countless other examples.

Going around in circles with you simply because you ignore every factual argument anyone has made in here. Waste of time.

A denial from those people means very little. Sure let's see what happens, it's gone to tribunal now anyway.

What achievements? Constant failure, excuses but with a small purple patch here and there. Don['t even bring up his cup run with Palace. He failed in the cups every year with us(Stevenage and Brighton knocked Newcastle out(twice!)) under his "leadership". Any mug can do well in a cup. Look at Villa

Going around in circles with you simply because you ignore every factual argument anyone has made in here. Waste of time.

Lest we not forget him arbitrarilly bringing up Clough and Ferguson to bizzarely somehow defend Pardew as a great manager. This was some seriously non joined up thinking. Kinda impressive in its own misinformed fashion :D

Sure let's see what happens, it's gone to tribunal now anyway...

Well I'm glad that you've done a complete U-turn from your previous post where you assessed him on the basis of the alleged comment. I fully agree with your new stance, that it is premature to assess him on the basis of an allegation that is denied.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Am I the only one who read the guy wasnt comparing Pardew to greats just that they were all dicks, and being nice or not had nothing to do with his talents

Amusingly, he still doesn't get his own point...:D

Will anyone else step up and explain the point to Alonso?

Though, it is more fun to see him come back and miss it again and again...

Amusingly, he still doesn't get his own point...:D

Will anyone else step up and explain the point to Alonso?

Though, it is more fun to see him come back and miss it again and again...

Still trying to deflect with this foolishness. My first post in this thread states that in my opinion he comes across as a unlikeable character. Nothing about greatness etc.

In summary - I come on and say - "Jaysus lads, Pardews seems like a bit unpleasant"
    your response "but but but Clough Ferguson Mourinho have been unpleasant too...." Brilliant, just brilliant.

Again, What have comparisons of great managers behaviour such as Clough etc got to do with Pardew. Its like comparing Jedward to Springsteen. Completely irrelevant comparison. again no joined up thinking. You made a dumb ill founded comparison, just stop the madness now.

Conor74 in 'not able to hold a decent discussion so I'll deflect as much as possible without answering questions directed at me' shocker.

Conor74 in 'not able to hold a decent discussion so I'll deflect as much as possible without answering questions directed at me' shocker.

Its kinda bizarre to be honest. I made no comment about him being a great manager or a **** manager just that ( highlighting another posters examples) he seems to be, IMO, not nice.

Then things get .... silly

Still trying to deflect with this foolishness. My first post in this thread states that in my opinion he comes across as a unlikeable character. Nothing about greatness etc.

In summary - I come on and say - "Jaysus lads, Pardews seems like a bit unpleasant"
    your response "but but but Clough Ferguson Mourinho have been unpleasant too...." Brilliant, just brilliant.

Again, What have comparisons of great managers behaviour such as Clough etc got to do with Pardew. Its like comparing Jedward to Springsteen. Completely irrelevant comparison. again no joined up thinking. You made a dumb ill founded comparison, just stop the madness now.

Because of course they can be compared as unlikeable characters.

Obviously that was the very way I was comparing them, the way you prescribed, the way I have repeated again and again.

Frankly, I think it awfully silly to try and assess the characters of people based in football. But then you changed tack and suggested I was comparing them on the basis of their success. The precise point I made was that the better the manager, the nastier they could get.

If you feel like you're losing, you shouldn't refer to Pardew at all but post entirely about me.

Oh dear, I see that's exactly what you did...

If you feel like you're losing, you shouldn't refer to Pardew at all but post entirely about me.

Oh dear, I see that's exactly what you did...

I asked you a question on the thread that you blatantly ignored and are now are trying to deflect away like you're doing now.

The question was:
    FA Cup aside Conor, do you still think Pardew is a good manager despite the record of:

30 games played.
    15 losses.
    Going from 5th to 16th.
    No league win since December. (12 games)

It's a poor record but do you honestly think he's still a good manager?

If yes, why?

• Advertisement

Because of course they can be compared as unlikeable characters.

Obviously that was the very way I was comparing them, the way you prescribed, the way I have repeated again and again.

Frankly, I think it awfully silly to try and assess the characters of people based in football. But then you changed tack and suggested I was comparing them on the basis of their success. The precise point I made was that the better the manager, the nastier they could get.

Ok, so you say they can be compared as unlikeable characters.
    I said he came across as unlikeable without reference to him being great or not or without reference to any other manager.

Do you think he is a great manager? If it doesnt matter that he is unpleasant character by citing Mourinho/Ferguson/Clough, the fact that he has a relatively poor managerial record does not compute with the reference to the names you have mentioned.

They sometimes behaved nasty and were great managers.
    He has been nasty and is an average to poor manager.

Where is the relevance in mentioning them, again?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I see a lad here still defending this fraud. Lads who can't give in to the fact that the "deluded" Geordies might have been right. He's an absolute **** and a **** manager, full stop

**** manager, full stop

A four star manager?? You deluded rapscallion!!! ;)

Actually Conor, on second thoughts, dont bother replying to me. I see others here are having the same issues with you, deflect deflect obfuscate obfuscate.

Tis a waste of energy engaging with you about The Great Pardew! :D

you win the internet ! :pac:

I see a lad here still defending this fraud. Lads who can't give in to the fact that the "deluded" Geordies might have been right. He's an absolute **** and a **** manager, full stop

It's just the pesky things like getting manager of the year or keeping two clubs up last season keep getting in the way of that sort of analysis.
    Actually Conor, on second thoughts, dont bother replying to me. I see others here are having the same issues with you, deflect deflect obfuscate obfuscate.

Tis a waste of energy engaging with you about The Great Pardew! :D

you win the internet ! :pac:

On 2nd thoughts? Hardly, as you have now posted 7 or 8 times.

You know, we can disagree, you can get all wound up about the character of a manager, is he a nice guy, is he a meanie etc. etc. And I don't have to give a hoot about it.

I hadn't heard that winning the internet meme in years though.

It's just the pesky things like getting manager of the year or keeping two clubs up last season keep getting in the way of that sort of analysis.

Keeping two clubs up last season? Jesus, you've really plunged to new depths on this one.

EDIT: Are you going to answer my questions?

Keeping two clubs up last season? Jesus, you've really plunged to new depths on this one.

EDIT: Are you going to answer my questions?

It's an opinion. You may disagree.

As for your question, see post 571.

You can't honestly believe he kept two teams up... We don't know how he would have ended the season with Newcastle had he not left for Palace.

You can't honestly believe he kept two teams up... We don't know how he would have ended the season with Newcastle had he not left for Palace.

I agree with the writer of that article.

We believe he kept 2 teams up. You may disagree.

Would you agree he definitely kept Palace up, and he left Newcastle in a very very good position to stay up?

• Advertisement

Would you agree he definitely kept Palace up, and he left Newcastle in a very very good position to stay up?

I agree he kept Palace up because... well, he did.

27 points after 21 games before he left for Palace... Not exactly a sterling record.

We were in a pretty precarious position under him at that stage. Shipping goals all over the place too.

It wasn't exactly a " very very good position to stay up" but it was enough (luckily) but not because of Pardew. Because of teams somehow being even worse than we were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement