Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew To Join Crystal Palace

1789101113»

Comments

That_Guy wrote: »
    I agree he kept Palace up because... well, he did.
    It wasn't exactly a " very very good position to stay up" but it was enough (luckily) but not because of Pardew. Because of teams somehow being even worse than we were.

But we're not a million miles apart, if you say he kept Palace up and did enough to keep Newcastle up, aided by there being worse teams. That's the whole premise of staying up, others do worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

But we're not a million miles apart, if you say he kept Palace up and did enough to keep Newcastle up, aided by there being worse teams. That's the whole premise of staying up, others do worse.

I never said he did enough? I stated that 27 points from 21 games was not good and we stayed up (not because of Pardew) but because of other teams around us doing worse.

Carver didn't set the world on fire either. Managed to pick up 12 points and we somehow stayed up. Much like the year we lost half our league games and miraculously stayed up the season before.

Two god awful managers picking up lucky wins here and there and both unable to address the slide we were on.

Given the timeframe Pardew had to amass more points (August-January) he really didn't show anything other than relegation form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So the season ends for Pardew with Palace in 15th place on 42 points, 8 points off the top half and 5 points clear of the drop zone.

After 17 games they were in 5th place with 30 points and 2 points off the top four, but from Boxing Day included they went on a run of 2 wins from 21 games which included a run of 0 wins from 26th December to the 9th April (14 games).

Getting to the FA Cup final certainly deserves credit, but ultimately no one aside from the Palace fans will remember it in 12 months time and the vast majority of fans won't see it as something which strengths his record when he's gone.

A very interesting 3rd season (well 2nd and a half) in charge coming up for Pardew.

Might be time to give this a bump.

3 wins in 11 this season for Palace with no win in the last 6. 2 points off the relegation zone and a difficult run of fixtures to come between now and over the festive period when they'll face City, Southampton, United, Chelsea and Arsenal in 5 of their 8 games between now and 1st January.

They were also one of the biggest spenders in the league this summer splashing out over £50m (though did bring back in plenty through the sales of Bolasie and Gayle).

The winter will be telling.

After 2 seasons of keeping what is a Championship club in the top flight, he really should move on to take the England job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Paully D wrote:

Paully D wrote:
    3 wins in 11 this season for Palace with no win in the last 6. 2 points off the relegation zone and a difficult run of fixtures to come between now and over the festive period when they'll face City, Southampton, United, Chelsea and Arsenal in 5 of their 8 games between now and 1st January.

Paully D wrote:
    They were also one of the biggest spenders in the league this summer splashing out over £50m (though did bring back in plenty through the sales of Bolasie and Gayle).

Paully D wrote:

Benteke will keep them up as the other relegation rivals are p**s poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Paully D wrote:

Paully D wrote:

Paully D wrote:

Paully D wrote:

Benteke will keep them up as the other relegation rivals are p**s poor

Difficult to see how Pardew survives this.

6 defeats in a row including a 5-4 defeat to then bottom side Swansea despite being 1-0 and 4-3 up (with 6 minutes to go).

They are now only out of the relegation zone on goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The pattern repeats. Start very well and slip slowly but surely away to the point where it can't continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

How did this ever turn out anyway lads?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How did this ever turn out anyway lads?!

Newcastle got relegated Crystal Palace didn't. Mike Ashley is still at Newcastle. Am I missing anything?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Newcastle got relegated Crystal Palace didn't. Mike Ashley is still at Newcastle. Am I missing anything?

Well given the thread is about Alan Pardew you seem to have missed the bit where he was sacked. Again. After bringing Palace to the brink. Lucky for them Allerdyce is good at what he does.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Well given the thread is about Alan Pardew you seem to have missed the bit where he was sacked. Again. After bringing Palace to the brink. Lucky for them Allerdyce is good at what he does.

It seemed to be about Pardew then Newcastle fans started blaming Pardew for their pending relegation despite him moving on. Quite an odd but highly amusing thread all things considered. Certainly odd thing to bump given embarassing posts within it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nice to see you say good things about Allardyce who was unfairly treated at Newcastle when he went there.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Nice to see you say good things about Allardyce who was unfairly treated at Newcastle when he went there.

Allardyce is a good manager, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Pardew is not.

NUFC are back up, with an incredibly successful manager (still not sure how we nabbed him) with a bright future or so we hope.

Palace have a talented squad that AP was likely to get relegated with before Big Sam stepped in - depending on who they appoint next, it could be a very exciting season for them, and best of luck to the Eagles.

Long story short - NUFC fans were 100% spot on about Alan Pardew & ultimately his tenure at Palace played out as expected. He is now most likely to get a Championship job, if lucky.

Long story short - NUFC fans were 100% spot on about Alan Pardew & ultimately his tenure at Palace played out as expected. He is now most likely to get a Championship job, if lucky.

If Rafa does very well, he could get NUFC into Europe. And get manager of the season. Has any manager done that with NUFC before?

As for "Championship jobs" for 1 point, at what level did Rafa Benitez manage last season? Was it a "job" in the "Championship"?

You haven't thought this out very well, have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If Rafa does very well, he could get NUFC into Europe. And get manager of the season. Has any manager done that with NUFC before?

As for "Championship jobs" for 1 point, at what level did Rafa Benitez manage last season? Was it a "job" in the "Championship"?

Benitez is likely to not only have one good season with Newcastle.

He also took over an already doomed Newcastle, so him managing in the championship was his choice. If he left, he'd have had premiership offers. Parses, most likely, wouldn't.

Newcastle fans were spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pardew will have other Premier league offers in future. It's highly likely that one of the teams coming up will start badly and sack their manager and Pardew will be one of the names they consider for the position. There were seven or eight managers sacked last season in the Premier league and I'd expect a similar number next season and Pardew is very likely to get one of those jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Pardew will have other Premier league offers in future. It's highly likely that one of the teams coming up will start badly and sack their manager and Pardew will be one of the names they consider for the position. There were seven or eight managers sacked last season in the Premier league and I'd expect a similar number next season and Pardew is very likely to get one of those jobs.

And then the cycle starts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Newcastle were always right to want Pardew out of their club. This has been proven. And now they have a top manager. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

monkey9 wrote: »
    Newcastle were always right to want Pardew out of their club.

It is beyond mental that this was disputed.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Newcastle were always right to want Pardew out of their club. This has been proven. And now they have a top manager. Good luck to them.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    It is beyond mental that this was disputed.

Exactly the point that I was making, thank you. Lambasted for wanting him out, laughed at when we said to watch how things would turn out at Palace etc.

Nevertheless, both clubs are in better positions now and a positive future awaits, or so we hope. Onwards and upwards for all.

If you read back through the thread and what NUFC fans said re: Pardew - its turned out exactly as expected. And you know that, because you were actively involved in said thread irking Newcastle fans.

Anyway, it speaks for itself.

If you read back through the thread and what NUFC fans said re: Pardew - its turned out exactly as expected. And you know that, because you were actively involved in said thread irking Newcastle fans.

Anyway, it speaks for itself.

Pardew went to a club behind Newcastle, and overtook them. Newcastle were subsequently relegated. Palace's expectations were raised to the extent that reaching a cup final and not falling out of the division saw Pardew subsequently sacked, Newcastle's expectations are such that just getting back to Palace's level has their fans understandably delighted. We'll see how Rafa does in the top flight, if he gets into Europe and get manager of the year with a Mike Ashley owned Newcastle, he'll have done as well as Pardew did at that club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Pardew went to a club behind Newcastle, and overtook them. Newcastle were subsequently relegated. Palace's expectations were raised to the extent that reaching a cup final and not falling out of the division saw Pardew subsequently sacked, Newcastle's expectations are such that just getting back to Palace's level has their fans understandably delighted. We'll see how Rafa does in the top flight, if he gets into Europe and get manager of the year with a Mike Ashley owned Newcastle, he'll have done as well as Pardew did at that club.

I don't think it's in question that Pardew is a better manager than Benitez, that should be obvious for most. I just feel like it's a case of sour grapes at this point, best not to even bother with these plebs.

I don't think it's in question that Pardew is a better manager than Benitez, that should be obvious for most. I just feel like it's a case of sour grapes at this point, best not to even bother with these plebs.

Benitez certainly has a better cv...but most of it is a bit dated now, and he's had diminishing returns in the last decade. He has time to avoid becoming full on Trap like dinosaur, but not sure promotion with the Championship favourites reinstates him. The next year or 2 back amongst big clubs will tell if he's still up to it, he may well be.

Pardew went to a club behind Newcastle, and overtook them. Newcastle were subsequently relegated.

Big swinging micky. Newcastle were managed by John Carver and Steve McClaren in that time. Doing better than those two is not impressive. It is laughable that you are trying to act like it is.
    Palace's expectations were raised to the extent that reaching a cup final and not falling out of the division saw Pardew subsequently sacked,

A manager getting sacked after 8 losses in 10 league games with his team heading towards relegation is all about the club trying to stay in the division, not raised expectations. You are just trying to rewrite history to fit your daft story.

Doing better than those two is not impressive. It is laughable that you are trying to act like it is.

He was manager of the season, so judged by the sports media, his peers etc. he was considered the best manager around, better than any other manager. It's laughable that people act like that never happened.
    You are just trying to rewrite history to fit your daft story.

It's hardly a daft story. It's an opinion. You can agree or disagree. But I'm looking at history, I think getting a Mike Ashley owned club into Europe was a great achievement, as was getting manager of the season, getting Palace to a cup final and their highest Premier League position etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol

He was manager of the season, so judged by the sports media, his peers etc. he was considered the best manager around, better than any other manager. It's laughable that people act like that never happened.

No he was not manager of the season. 14/15 manager of the season was Mourinho and the 15/16 season manager of the season was Ranieri. Pardew won it in 11/12. I'm not acting like he never won manager of the season or had not previously done well with Newcastle. I'm acting like Newcastle fans were right to want rid of him when he left, because they were. The fact that the owner appointed even worse managers doesn't change that.
    It's hardly a daft story. It's an opinion. You can agree or disagree. But I'm looking at history, I think getting a Mike Ashley owned club into Europe was a great achievement, as was getting manager of the season, getting Palace to a cup final and their highest Premier League position etc. etc.

Your claim that he was sacked by Palace because of raised expectations is you rewriting history. His team's form was awful, that's why he was sacked. When I call you on it you don't defend it, because you know you're talking out your arse.

When I call you on it you don't defend it, because you know you're talking out your arse.

Why do people get so excitable about Pardew?

I think he is a good manager who did very well with Newcastle and had them punching far above their weight, and the same with Palace.

You disagree. That's your prerogative. But let's find the common ground. He was outstanding in 2012 when he was manager of the season and got Newcastle - a club that has been relegated twice in recent years - into Europe, wasn't he?

6 league wins in 36 for Palace in 2016. There is a cycle he goes through wherever he goes. He starts brilliantly, I don't think you'll find too many Newcastle fans who will forget that 5th place finish and what he did that year. But every club he's at he slips rapidly into decline culminating in in him leaving. The fact he's as unlikeable a character as there is on the managerial circuit does him no favours

6 league wins in 36 for Palace in 2016. There is a cycle he goes through wherever he goes. He starts brilliantly, I don't think you'll find too many Newcastle fans who will forget that 5th place finish and what he did that year. But every club he's at he slips rapidly into decline culminating in in him leaving. The fact he's as unlikeable a character as there is on the managerial circuit does him no favours

And a brilliant start means that he achieves his objective. The way hes talked about in this thread you'd swear he couldn't find his arse with both hands. Not many managers are going to pull a Fergie/Wenger. 7 sackings last year alone. Most managers get short term jobs. Pardew in the short term got Newcastle 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

I think he is a good manager who did very well with Newcastle and had them punching far above their weight, and the same with Palace.

You're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Icaras wrote: »
    You're wrong.

It's an opinion. You can disagree with it but that doesn't make you right and him wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Kirby wrote: »
    It's an opinion. You can disagree with it but that doesn't make you right and him wrong.

The suggestion seems to be that an opinion cannot be incorrect, which is very obviously wrong.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Why do people get so excitable about Pardew?

You make silly/controversial/incorrect posts, like the one I quoted, and when you're called on the things you said you don't defend them, you just restate other things that weren't being debated. Then when that's pointed out to you, you ask why people get excitable. Your posts have followed a standard WUM strategy. And this is a strategy you have used over and over again in this discussion.

You disagree. That's your prerogative. But let's find the common ground. He was outstanding in 2012 when he was manager of the season and got Newcastle - a club that has been relegated twice in recent years - into Europe, wasn't he?

I wouldn't be too bothered by manager of the season awards myself, I doubt the votes are cast based on proper research into all that the candidate had going for and against him, but the 5th place league position achieved had always seemed very good to me. That's looked like the boom part of the Pardew cycle, with the bust following later. Similar to what happened at Palace.

But then I read a post by you saying how Ashley had poured money into Newcastle and how they had the 7th highest wage bill in the PL. I've also thought that their scouting was very good for a few years. So maybe the fifth place Pardew got is not that impressive, all things considered. I honestly don't know. I'd need to know how their wage bill and transfer spending ranked around that time before I'd be able to say one way or the other.

You make silly/controversial/incorrect posts, like the one I quoted, and when you're called on the things you said you don't defend them, you just restate other things that weren't being debated. Then when that's pointed out to you, you ask why people get excitable. Your posts have followed a standard WUM strategy. And this is a strategy you have used over and over again in this discussion.

:D:D

A whole paragraph about me to prove you're not a little bit excitable...I like irony.

I think Pardew did a good job, you don't. That's not incorrect, it's not silly, it's simply a difference of opinion. Relax.
    I wouldn't be too bothered by manager of the season awards myself, I doubt the votes are cast based on proper research into all that the candidate had going for and against him, but the 5th place league position achieved had always seemed very good to me. That's looked like the boom part of the Pardew cycle, with the bust following later. Similar to what happened at Palace.

But then I read a post by you saying how Ashley had poured money into Newcastle and how they had the 7th highest wage bill in the PL. I've also thought that their scouting was very good for a few years. So maybe the fifth place Pardew got is not that impressive, all things considered. I honestly don't know. I'd need to know how their wage bill and transfer spending ranked around that time before I'd be able to say one way or the other.

And you are entitled to be not in the least bothered by his peers deeming him the best manager. I'm not going to jump up and down and say that's "silly/controversial/incorrect ", you have your opinion.

:D:D

A whole paragraph about me to prove you're not a little bit excitable...I like irony.

Nope, it was a paragraph pointing out how you post like a WUM. And now you have responded to it with the exact same behaviour again. I have no interest in proving that I'm not excitable, since it's impossible to prove a negative.
    I think Pardew did a good job, you don't. That's not incorrect, it's not silly, it's simply a difference of opinion. Relax.

I did not say your opinion that Pardew did a good job at Newcastle was silly or even necessarily incorrect - I can see good arguments for and against that case. The silly/controversial/incorrect comment was in reference to your daft claim that he was sacked at Palace because of raised expectations.

At Palace he had lost 10 of 17 league games in 16/17, and that was following the second half of the 15/16 season where they had lost 12 of 19 league games. Since January 2016 up until his sacking they had 4 wins from 36 league games. Even for a club whose only aim was to stay in the league, Pardew had put his job in jeapordy with that horrible league form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Somebody tried to pretend that Pardew was a better manager than Rafa. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Thread is old and weary, let it die in peace.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement