Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew To Join Crystal Palace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I'd love if we went for someone like Eddie Howe or a foreign boss, but ultimately, Ashley will appoint the safest option and someone he can trust.

Trust to tow the line...

Newcastle don't do managers - they do puppets.

Ashley will not give the club any vision. He's happy to sit there year after year and earn a nice little wage for himself. Anything more is simply an inconvenience to him and yet where is the outrage from Geordie fans? Where are the "Ashley Out" campaigns? The online petitions? The protests? The boycotting?

Newcastle are a joke of a club. Monty Python stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Dayum wrote: »
    Trust to tow the line...

Newcastle don't do managers - they do puppets.

Ashley will not give the club any vision. He's happy to sit there year after year and earn a nice little wage for himself. Anything more is simply an inconvenience to him and yet where is the outrage from Geordie fans? Where are the "Ashley Out" campaigns? The online petitions? The protests? The boycotting?

Newcastle are a joke of a club. Monty Python stuff.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I'm a Newcastle fan of 20 years and its an embarrassment. I didn't like pardew, he was an asshole as a personality and played dour dour football. We've been very hard to watch under him.

He played players out of position, never seemed to make a decent sub to change a game and stats like goals from set pieces and goals conceded are shocking. Yes he had one great season but the more he does since, the more that season is proving the exception rather than the rule. He got very lucky that year.

However, as much as I'm happy that he is gone, his hands were tied to some extent. To be mid table is as good as we are gonna be while the real problem is still with us, Ashley. A man with a business dream, not a football one, he has no ambition but to turn a profit and maybe someday sell up. He doesn't care. He actually said at the start of this year that we plan to rest players in the cups so as to finish higher in the league??? Wtf???

The least the fans deserve when you can't challenge for leagues is to try for a cup run and a bit of glory. If Birmingham and Wigan can do it, then Newcastle definitely can.

Pardew was a problem, Ashley is the bigger one, nothing will change until he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Another puppet will be appointed soon so....

4953859d9d20daf3c0b78dc1730d17c8b9f710fb8b3bdbdb6a63267a5b9ae12c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dayum wrote: »
    Where are the "Ashley Out" campaigns?

In fairness, such a campaign has been ongoing for a number of years at this stage.

Paully D wrote: »
    In fairness, such a campaign has been ongoing for a number of years at this stage.

Nowhere near as intense or popular as sackpardew.com.

That says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Saipanne wrote: »

That says it all.

It does indeed, some achievement taking the heat off Ashley, Ashley will miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

That says it all.

Because the majority of Newcastle fans are wise enough know that the club isn't going to be sold any time soon. They protested before, Ashley put the club up for sale but couldn't find a buyer.

Ashley is on record as saying that he plans on owning them for another couple of seasons at least, inevitably before he can get his hands on Rangers properly and gain cheap advertising across Europe through the Champions League avenue.

Protesting Ashley Out, (there are many that still want him gone) would be a waste of time at the moment.

Can every neutral just read this please. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Because the majority of Newcastle fans are wise enough know that the club isn't going to be sold any time soon. They protested before, Ashley put the club up for sale but couldn't find a buyer.

Ashley is on record as saying that he plans on owning them for another couple of seasons at least, inevitably before he can get his hands on Rangers properly and gain cheap advertising across Europe through the Champions League avenue.

Protesting Ashley Out, (there are many that still want him gone) would be a waste of time at the moment.

Can every neutral just read this please. Thank you.

Couldn't find a buyer? I doubt that. He's never going to sell the club as long as he cleans it up in cash. Having the stadium sell out every week goes a long to helping with that.

tastyt wrote: »
    I'm a Newcastle fan of 20 years and its an embarrassment.

So you don't remember the really bad days in the late 70s and 80s when about 20,000 would turn up at games in a stadium that badly needed an overhaul and the club seemed to spend most of the time in the second tier. Pardews reign is a triumph compared to that.

• Advertisement

That says it all.

It was extremely intense and popular at the time. In fact, thinking back I'd go so far as to say that it was actually more intense and popular over a longer period of time than the Pardew campaign.

For the record, I don't think either party (Pardew or Ashley) has done all that bad a job, not without many faults of course (Ashley in particular takes far more heat than he should IMO, with the positives of his reign not highlighted enough) but I can completely understand both schools of thought on both parties.
    It does indeed, some achievement taking the heat off Ashley, Ashley will miss him.

This was one thing Pardew did well. I always thought he was happy enough to do so as he knew he'd never get a bigger or better job in management and it was a sacrifice he was willing to make, but it does appear to have finally taken its toll on him and been a big reason why he's now off somewhere he probably feels he'll be wanted and "loved".

It's also why Ashley's next appointment is likely to be someone who will largely contribute to doing the same again. I see Sherwood, Carver and Bruce are the top 3 in the betting with a significant gap in odds after that. Bruce has worked under similar circumstances at Birmingham (who ironically priced him out of a move to Newcastle when Bobby Robson left) and in all honesty he would probably be happy enough to shred himself of any dignity for the job given his ridiculous soundbites over the last few years. Sherwood and Carver would also fit that sort of profile that Ashley would be looking for IMO.

It's very interesting, maybe we will all be surprised!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I don't see the importance of the "lost 4 successive derbies" argument against pardew. Derbies last one day, maybe a week or two. The league is 38 games long.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    I don't see the importance of the "lost 4 successive derbies" argument against pardew. Derbies last one day, maybe a week or two. The league is 38 games long.

It's different. It's hard to explain on a message board but people just don't understand it until they've lived in the north-east.

Both teams are similar in terms of playing performance these days. Neither side has won anything for donkeys years nor are likely to win anything for donkeys years again. It's not as if either team is going to have a trophy to slam down their rivals necks come seasons end or are good enough to go on a lengthy winning run straight away to put a bad derby defeat to bed. The derbies are generally all each set of supporters has. That's why they are so important. Rightly or wrongly, they make or break seasons, players and managers in the region.

You lose a derby and have to go into work in Newcastle (or Sunderland) on the Monday and tell me that they only last one day! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

It's different. It's hard to explain on a message board but people just don't understand it until they've lived in the north-east.

Both teams are similar in terms of playing performance these days. Neither side has won anything for donkeys years nor are likely to win anything for donkeys years again. It's not as if either team is going to have a trophy to slam down their rivals necks come seasons end or are good enough to go on a lengthy winning run straight away to put a bad derby defeat to bed. The derbies are generally all each set of supporters has. That's why they are so important. Rightly or wrongly, they make or break seasons, players and managers in the region.

You lose a derby and have to go into work in Newcastle (or Sunderland) on the Monday and tell me that they only last one day! :pac:

Ah there's a bit of a difference between the clubs surely. Sunderland are fighting relegation every year now while Newcastle are a comfortable top half club and that's with no investment in the first team basically.

Would Newcastle fans have given up their 7th place and Euro position a few years ago for 2 wins a draw and a defeat in the last 4 derbies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Reminds me to post this article I had read:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

Looks like Newcastle have over achieved for the past five years with regards to spending vs league position.

As a neutral I feel pretty bad for Pardew, I think he did well under constrained resources. I feel as a manager, if you dont have a say in the players you bring in you are pretty much a lamb to the slaughter. Wasn't his contract pretty ****ty too?

rossc007 wrote: »
    Reminds me to post this article I had read:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

Looks like Newcastle have over achieved for the past five years with regards to spending vs league position.

As a neutral I feel pretty bad for Pardew, I think he did well under constrained resources. I feel as a manager, if you dont have a say in the players you bring in you are pretty much a lamb to the slaughter. Wasn't his contract pretty ****ty too?

Interesting link. Amazing that pardew did so well, considering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

That doesn't take into consideration wages which Newcastle would spend a decent amount on in comparison to other mid table/relegation battlers.

That doesn't take into consideration wages which Newcastle would spend a decent amount on in comparison to other mid table/relegation battlers.

It sounds like you have a stat to back that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think Newcastle have the 9th or 10th highest wage bill so pretty much exactly mid table.

• Advertisement

I think Newcastle have the 9th or 10th highest wage bill so pretty much exactly mid table.

In their relegation season, Frankie would be correct. But we'll see what he produces here.

7th highest wage bill in 2012
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-club-david-conn

11th highest in 2013
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-club-david-conn

They then signed the likes of Sissokho and Debuchy who would not have been cheap so I doubt it has fallen much.

7th highest wage bill in 2012

11th highest in 2013

They then signed the likes of Sissokho and Debuchy who would not have been cheap so I doubt it has fallen much.

Yes, and of course no other clubs wage bill changed since then.

Midtable spending then. Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

If Pardew was getting you guys top 4 every season you wouldnt care about his character flaws, I think they'd be condoned to a certain extent. Just look at Mourihno, no one cares as long as you bring success.

The real issue is spending and wages are below what you need them to be to finish in the top half of the table consistantly. Another manager will not fix that, in fact Pardew over achieved on paper so Newcastle will most likely find themselves worse off unless a top manager is brought in and given resources. Do you guys think Ashley will go down that road or take a safe bet and sit in mediocrity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This lad seems happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If Pardew was getting you guys top 4 every season you wouldnt care about his character flaws, I think they'd be condoned to a certain extent. Just look at Mourihno, no one cares as long as you bring success.

The real issue is spending and wages are below what you need them to be to finish in the top half of the table consistantly. Another manager will not fix that, in fact Pardew over achieved on paper so Newcastle will most likely find themselves worse off unless a top manager is brought in and given resources. Do you guys think Ashley will go down that road or take a safe bet and sit in mediocrity?

Newcastle fans weren't giving out about Chris Hughton who was sacked when they were eleventh in the league. Pardew leaves them in tenth and he's had a lot better players bought for him than Hughton had.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pardew relegate Palace either.

• Advertisement

It is not Pardew that has overachieved, it has been their scouting and recruiting that has overachieved. With the quality of players given to him he could have done better. Playing Sissokho on the right wing, playing Williamson ahead of Yanga Mbiwa and generally sucking away any confidence from creative players is mostly down to Pardew.

I think the comments that Palace will be relegated because of him are a little unfair.

You'd swear he's taking over with them safety in mid table...

Their current position is hardly ideal, thanks to a dire first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think the comments that Palace will be relegated because of him are a little unfair.

There is still half a season for him to prove what he is. This is what Pulis came into and he nailed it.

I can see how this one is going to go already. If he keeps them up, you'll say it's all on his managerial ability. If they go down, it's not his fault.

They're only in the relegation zone by 2 goals on goal difference. 4 points off 14th and 5 points off 12th.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

CSF wrote: »
    There is still half a season for him to prove what he is. This is what Pulis came into and he nailed it.

That's Tony Pulis though. I don't think anyone would disagree that Pulis is just a better manager than Pardew so you wouldn't exactly be comparing like with like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Dummetts og clearly Pardews fault.

Crystal Palace grind out a well earned draw. The imminent arrival of Pardew is having an effect already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Crystal Palace grind out a well earned draw. The imminent arrival of Pardew is having an effect already.

*sniggers*

Even Newcastle managed a goalless draw with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

yep a goalless draw with the free scoring villans is the pardew effect all over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

You're going to some lengths to troll! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's official..
    Crystal Palace have appointed Newcastle boss Alan Pardew as their new manager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30637258

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Dailymail saying palace are paying £3.5m compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Dailymail saying palace are paying £3.5m compensation.

hard to believe we got that for him, mike ashley take a bow on that 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Wilberto wrote: »
    That's Tony Pulis though. I don't think anyone would disagree that Pulis is just a better manager than Pardew so you wouldn't exactly be comparing like with like.

I'm not that convinced on Pulis to be honest. Have a feeling he will tank at West Brom.

3.5 million is more than Real Madrid spent to get Ancelotti in there. :pac:

• Advertisement

Great win for Palace, over an in form spurs.

#pardewed

Great win for Palace, over an in form spurs.

#pardewed

Why do you honestly care so much?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Why do you honestly care so much?

I just do, man.

Two wins from two league games. Currently within four points of his former club.

Fair play to him.

Not quite going according to the script, is it?

It looks like they'll avoid the drop comfortably, at this rate.

Edit: Unless I spoke too soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Not quite going according to the script, is it?

It looks like they'll avoid the drop comfortably, at this rate.

Edit: Unless I spoke too soon!

Depends on who you ask :P I know I am not alone as someone who thought Pardew would do well and so far he has. I can imagine them ending this season well and then the struggle will happen next season. That's going to be the toughest part for him.

Palace 3-1 QPR. Fair play to Pardew, that's Palace 11 points above the relegation zone and safe now barring a complete and utter disaster. 8 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses for them since he took over. A 61% win percentage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Palace 3-1 QPR. Fair play to Pardew, that's Palace 11 points above the relegation zone and safe now barring a complete and utter disaster. 8 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses for them since he took over. A 61% win percentage.
    Yup, maintaining it next season will be the real challenge too. Sherwood too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think people really underestimate Pardew as a manager tbh

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    I think people really underestimate Pardew as a manager tbh

Lots of red faces on here...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement